Old Streets of Nottingham

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

Why has the Harley sound changed ? It used to be "potato-potato-potato," the sound apparently patented by Harley, now it sounds more like " blib-blob-blib-blob, is this something to do with emissions ?

• Like 1

On air cooled HD's it's all down to the exhaust system - most owners change it for performance and sound.

On mine, the turbo makes it much quieter and smoother, but it still has a "bark"

• Like 1

Nowadays all new bikes have to comply with Euro 4 regs. It plays havoc with the performance and buggers up the exhaust note, catalytic converters and such are to blame. Well actually,, eurocrats are to blame!!

• Like 1

I think America rather than Europe has to take the blame for exhaust emission regulation. The first ones started in California as far as I remember and were gradually adopted by most other countries. 

My 'Dommi ' would have, twin Dunstall meggas, the noise, when I could start it was deafening.

• Like 1

Used to work at Oscrofts in the early sixties, launch of the HA Vivas ( Brabham tuning was a badge and a change of air filters!) The problem was that the cars arrived without undersealing, six months later having started to rust they were sold having had unseal applied at customers request without removing rust! Result instant decay etc.  Collected new cars from depots around England, raced back at speeds to make valves bounce and then delivered to customers and told to run them in...result, you guess. Happy days.

• Like 3

Interesting pic Ian. Universal Engineering. I sold tool steel to them in the 60's. Did they become Castle Engineering or was that along the road? That DS Safari was an awsome vehicle. My mate had one and it seemed very futuristic. It boiled over one day when we were in the Highlands. Opened the bonnet and could not believe the number of pipes and hoses - a right snake pit.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Interesting pic Ian. Universal Engineering. I sold tool steel to them in the 60's. Did they become Castle Engineering or was that along the road? That DS Safari was an awsome vehicle. My mate had one and it seemed very futuristic. It boiled over one day when we were in the Highlands. Opened the bonnet and could not believe the number of pipes and hoses - a right snake pit.

It's been said that the man who designed the DS's had a wife who was bonking a mechanic !

• Like 1
On 2/12/2019 at 2:10 AM, IAN123. said:

Castle Boulevard this time..0-32972410.jpgRowlands Cafe..and behind the Safari the Universal Engineering works are seen..started by Albert Ball.

Citreon  as mentioned in another thread

Rog

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

1970..looking up Union Rd.

That's the very phone box that I was on about in another thread, shame the photo didn't pan left a bit, i would have had a photo of my grans cafe, also seen up union rd, Andos furniture shop. It was the next 4windows up from the pub, Ando had the house's above the shop and the entrance to them were up the entry at the side of our cafe. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

.i was never a fan of the Scimitar.

It was overrated, overpriced and crap, but princess Ann liked em. Hers was probably built using better / improved parts!!.

Edit, and with smelly things to take away the smell of fiberglass.

5 hours ago, Waddo said:

It was overrated, overpriced and crap, but princess Ann liked em. Hers was probably built using better / improved parts!!.

Edit, and with smelly things to take away the smell of fiberglass.

I had one many years ago. April Yellow. The fibreglass was the only part of the car that didn’t rust. It came from  AK Austin on Mansfield Rd. I took it for a first service to Jack Hopewells and they said in that condition it would not pass an MOT! Absolute rubbish!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

13116009-1328792257137037-18895652928344Oddfellows Gallery and building..top of Victoria St.1967.

Didn't the Curry's become an amusement arcade? First time I encountered a rollerball console..Atari possibly Williams..

Racking my brains for a name ..wasn't it also a Sun Valley..like the one on the Sneinton market?

• Like 2

Cheers Ian..Cascade! That's it...would never have got that!..now I"m trying to recall the one on St James's St..only two that have stuck in memory are Playland & Space City.

I Think the St James's St arcade became a all night pool hall..blue blaise tables..rubbish cues..a free cup of tea at 5am was very welcome though..

• Like 1

Think your right there..the arcade had more of a frontage on the street..went in most of the buildings on St James St..both sides..All huge in comparison to what I was expecting from the humble entrances ..The one exception was the tiny newsagents ..first right market square end..

Also recall on the left market square end was modern sixties..spillover from ugly beast market redevelopment..recall a Ladbrokes there.

Never went in when Riley's appeared..  a lot more of a commercial set-up ...advent of cable TV etc came to mind.. definitely only pool when I visited..could have been formally the backroom to the imperial...but.think it was to the right, next door. Doubt there would be enough room for more than 3 full size snooker tables. Maybe later redevelopment..as stated in previous post those buildings were huge inside!

• Like 1