Old Streets of Nottingham

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

Were these cottages just before the rail bridge on the left if you were heading for Bulwell Ian

Rog

• Like 1

If they are the cottages my maternal grandfather lived in the second one down (probably grew up there) before leaving to join the Royal Navy in the early 1900's as a youth before the first world war

Rog

• Like 1

Finished up as chief petty officer on HMS Kent doing convoy stuff to Vladivostok during WW1, died about 1969, ashes spread on the dogger bank north sea by HMS ship but forget the name off hand

Rog

PS, i did write in some post about Bulwell about his garden  and where he lived down Albert street, he was also ARP in Bulwell during WW2

• Like 1

Re Broxtowe lane picture, used to get my hair cut at a barbers just the other side of that bridge,that would be in the early to mid 80's

Rog

• Like 1

The barbershop is still there Rog. Probably under different ownership nowadays.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Broxtowe Lane here and the disused Cinderhill Colliery bridge.54664-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgLooking towards Nuthall 

Photo taken from exactly where a Vernons store was,,,early 60s can't recall Managers name,,,big Ginger Irish bloke.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Cinderhill Road..summer of 1976.56182-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgOld Phil might know more about Bagnall Cottages 

Still there,,my Padstow school headmaster Mr Bond lived there,,far end one i believe.............

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I heard that the actor George Costigan of Connie fame starring Stephanie Beacham once lived there. 

Possibly whilst Connie was being filmed, as it was set in the East Midlands hosiery industry. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

The barbershop is still there Rog. Probably under different ownership nowadays.

When I used to go there I remember the barber having a good stock of "Gentlemans" magazines to look at while waiting slywink

Rog

Ben, it's recently been a pet shop, as I walk past those shops frequently.

Parade possibly Rog ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

I heard that the actor George Costigan of Connie fame starring Stephanie Beacham once lived there. 

Possibly whilst Connie was being filmed, as it was set in the East Midlands hosiery industry. 

Interesting that Fly............didn't recall the name,so looked it up............he was great in Rita,Bob and Sue too,,

Never forget his immortal words up on the Moors''........''i thought i was great''.........lol

• Upvote 1

A good actor Ben, and Stephanie is one of my favourite British stars. Connie was a great, but short lived series.

• Like 1

With-out being too personal     its a phrase i tend to use myself.............lol

• Upvote 1

Ha, ha, Ben. I was just thinking the same, but as a complete gentleman, I couldn't possibly comment !  smile2

• Like 1

Yes a good actor Fly................and old Steph not too bad either................

• Upvote 1

72, and still a looker  .

• Like 3

We were on about Stephanie Beecham..........well i was anyway    lol

• Like 3

If that path is where I think it is/was! Didn't it lead onto curzon st? Past the old house! with the clock?.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

This is Liverpool Street...St.Anns.67179-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

Liverpool Street off Handel Street which went from Bath Street to Carlton Road 

From the way I look at the photo, it is Alfred st central, the church is at the top of it! If you can imagine looking back from the photo, commercial square is that way. That's how I see the picture anyway. Other wise, if looking down Alfred st North, the church would be on the left!

• Like 1