Old Streets of Nottingham

This is Alfred St Central Mary, the Baptist church is on the corner of Woodborough Road and Alfred St North. It looks like the photo was taken from the corner of Northumberland St, outside Bob's Spares.

• Like 2
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So much in one picture memory wise,,, one of those shops i persuaded to become a VG store Mr Roberts was the owner,,,,,,,,,,,,probably part of the reason for my promotion to ''Sales Manager'' which le

Dont care what you say you can not see the church from Commercil square the church is in fact on Woodbrough Rd and  i  stick by my gunns and you are on Alford St North.

No one is suggesting that you can see the church from commercial square!!. Like 'Commo ' says, taken from about Bob's spares. 

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Dont care what you say you can not see the church from Commercil square the church is in fact on Woodbrough Rd and  i  stick by my gunns and you are on Alford St North.

That picture is definitely Alfred Street Central !, You are wrong Mary !

• Like 1

Well we will never know now that its no longer there.

The Baptist church was ( and I think the building is still there ) on the corner of Alfred St North and Woodborough Rd and opposite the church, on the corner of Alfred St Central, was The Craven Arms. From this junction Alfred St North ran uphill to Mansfield Rd and downhill to St Ann's Well Rd at Commercial Square. The photo is taken from outside Bob's Spares, almost opposite Bullivant St which is still there and shows on the mapping supplied by Trevor. From this vantage point you are looking up Alfred St Central and if you were to turn 180 degrees you would be looking down towards Commercial Square although it could not be seen as the road turned slightly to the left as it went down to St Ann's Well Rd.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be the one to tell you this Mary but, Alfred (not Alford!) St central went up from commercial square to woodborough rd. Alfred st North went up from woodborough rd to Huntingdon st/ Mansfield rd, case not closed. Just ask Mr G oogle where Clark's cycle shop was or Bob's spares was!!

Worked on the other side of the road from the pub, near the traffic lights  the pub is were Alfred Street (spelling now correct0  North started, going down to  Commerical  Square  St Ann's Well Road  Alfred Street North (spelling now correct)    went on to Woodborough road   (cap W) then cross Huntingdon Street on to  Mansfied Road

I did not work on Alfred St (correct spelling) but I worked on Woodborough Rd

This is OS from the 1920s. Not easy to see because I have to reduce the size to make it fit within this forum.

zVA2PKj.jpg

Alfred Street North starts at Huntingdon Street and extends to Woodborough Road. (the first red arrows)

Alfred Street Central goes from Woodborough Road to Union Road/St Ann's Well Road (second red arrow)

And Alfred Street South goes from St Ann's Well Road to Carlton Road (not visible on this map).

• Like 2

Thanks once again Clifton, that's how I remember it. Don't suppose the map could be wrong though could it ?

• Like 1

Sorry to butt into this, not being an old St Annswellian and all.... Ian's picture and subsequent comment are all correct, it's Alfred St Central, the post box in front of the Post Office, opposite Alison Rise, can be seen in the picture.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

This is OS from the 1920s. Not easy to see because I have to reduce the size to make it fit within this forum.

zVA2PKj.jpg

Alfred Street North starts at Huntingdon Street and extends to Woodborough Road. (the first red arrows)

Alfred Street Central goes from Woodborough Road to Union Road/St Ann's Well Road (second red arrow)

And Alfred Street South goes from St Ann's Well Road to Carlton Road (not visible on this map).

just what i said 

10 hours ago, Waddo said:

Thanks once again Clifton, that's how I remember it. Don't suppose the map could be wrong though could it ?

creep

2 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

creep

Is that shorthand for, my mistake sorry ?

• Like 1

This thread was getting heated so I asked politely not to post any more about Alfred street. 10 days later more comments about Alfred street appear. This thread is now locked.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1