• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.

We have a policy of no politics on Nottstalgia, and this thread is now going too far in that direction.

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much groun

I never thought about the horses used in the war until I saw 'War Horse' - a very emotional stage show and film

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

In 1915 Sue there were lots of these marches in Nottm, Gedling ,Wollaton and Mansfield..to encourage enlisting.

On one day near a Colliery in Mansfield..370 men volunteered.

Brave men.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, MargieH said:

I never thought about the horses used in the war until I saw 'War Horse' - a very emotional stage show and film

Part of the reason my Grandad Jack won his Military Medal, was, that after he had organised medical help for his injured crew, and turned the Gun using the horses, he then took them to a place of safety before returnig to the gun and manning it single handedly.

• Like 1

I don't see any connection between Brexit and pride in the country.  I am an ardent remainer, and I'm proud of my country and its achievements. 

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting that pride was generated by the thought of leaving the EU. It's just a feeling I get that the country seems more 'together'. Maybe it was the World Cup that gelled us . I don't know.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I wasn't suggesting that pride was generated by the thought of leaving the EU. It's just a feeling I get that the country seems more 'together'. Maybe it was the World Cup that gelled us . I don't know.

Neither do I Fly. This is jnot a 'falling out' thing.  I think we just see things differently.  For me, the country is now  not only divided over the 'left' and 'right' of politics, but also over the 'In and Out 'of the EU.  Also the 'in' and 'out' are not related to Left or Right.

It's a mess, and I know what I'd do.. but that's not for this thread.

Col

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I think we are paying for our Empire!

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

It's a discussion, FLY, and an interesting one.... no-one is personally attacking another member.   I think there  have been some interesting and informative posts on the subject of exactly who is a terrorist.  

• Like 2

It is a political discussion Mike.  That's true.  But I agree with Margie that it is also a polite and informative one.

Personally, I don't think I've ever started a political discussion, but I do respond to provocative statements.

Col

• Like 3

What provocative statements might I ask ?

Where i worked until recently it was a real multi- mix of nationalities ,,...one day a bloke came in and asked  ''is Dave here Ben?  i said which one Black Dave,,Pakistani Dave,,or Dave the Dick head,,?    you can't say that he says''

I said course i can  one is Black one is Pakistani and the other is a Dick head !!!  just as i'd said it Dick-head walked in.........and i said he's here,, Dick head,,you ok?  caused much laughter not least from 'Dick-head Dave,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, meeowed said:

Mandela was convicted on all 8 counts of terrorism To make this man a role model is hypocrisy Winnie mandela was a common murderer and now we have the killing of the white farmers Anyone who uses violence to further political ends is a terrorist  meeowed

Boudica?

Oliver Cromwell?

It's never clear cut and probably the most misused charge in history is that of Treason.

Treason is essentially whatever the ruling powers say it is.

Anne Boleyn was found guilty of High Treason in order to give Henry VIII an excuse to get rid of her.

Numerous others died at Henry's order for similarly trumped up reasons.

Sophie Scholl was guillotined in Germany by the Nazis on charges of High Treason.  She was 21 and 'guilty' of distributing anti war leaflets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl

8 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

What provocative statements might I ask ?

Ok, in this case I withdraw the word 'provocative', but you really didn't expect me to let a mention of ' Tommy ( "My real name is Yaxley-Lennon") Robinson' pass without pointing out that he is a long term  petty criminal and was jailed for crimes, not for his views as he likes to imply?

Col

If Nelson Mandela was such an evil person ,could someone explain to me why in the years before his release and after was most of the world leaders and celebrities falling over themselves to be associated with and photographed with him

PS

I prefer to read about Nottstalgia and look at photos of Nottingham.

• Like 3

Let history speak for itself trogg, Google will find plenty of information for you. My opinion is that he was extremely lucky not to have been hanged for his alleged crimes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1