Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.I9l_W3_Qt_d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I never thought about the horses used in the war until I saw 'War Horse' - a very emotional stage show and film

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Two of Nottinghams Drill Halls:b199d655d8a46529be8b7ab02f03bd7d.jpgThis near Castle Gate was a Drill Hall used also by The Robin Hood Rifles.f398b86fc734ba072fbaf210a201a280.jpgWW1 soldiers outside Derby Rd.Drill Hall.

1915-03-17-_NEP.jpgSherwood Foresters marching down Radcliffe Road..according to the site i loaned this photo.. shortly after this was taken..there was a storm which wrecked the Pavillion...1915.

My Mothers Brother was probably in that march, she would only have been five

at the time.

• Like 1

In 1915 Sue there were lots of these marches in Nottm, Gedling ,Wollaton and Mansfield..to encourage enlisting.

On one day near a Colliery in Mansfield..370 men volunteered.

Brave men.

It's amazing how many young men did volunteer, needless to say mams brother 

didn't return.

Nurses comfort injured soldiers on a hut terrace at Nottm General Hospital.05-0579m.jpg

• Like 1

Local soldiers exhibiting a captured German field gun in the Market Square, 1915.19215_597768200239450_691330574_n.jpg

Been reading a list of Notts Companies that covertly helped with the war effort etc..

Seems Blackburn Starling aided with machine gun parts.

62949.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThis building was also hit by a Zeppelin bomb...on Castlegate.That shop sells

'Sherwood Ranger Cigars' 

Regalia, pageantry, and a sense of occasion. Love it !

• Like 1

Don't see much of it these days..people lined either side to cheer or pay respects.

I think things are gradually improving due to a bit more pride in the country thanks to Brexit. 

However, there's always the 'professional' protesters willing to spoil things. To the Tower I say !

• Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, MargieH said:

I never thought about the horses used in the war until I saw 'War Horse' - a very emotional stage show and film

Part of the reason my Grandad Jack won his Military Medal, was, that after he had organised medical help for his injured crew, and turned the Gun using the horses, he then took them to a place of safety before returnig to the gun and manning it single handedly.

• Like 1

I don't see any connection between Brexit and pride in the country.  I am an ardent remainer, and I'm proud of my country and its achievements. 

I wasn't suggesting that pride was generated by the thought of leaving the EU. It's just a feeling I get that the country seems more 'together'. Maybe it was the World Cup that gelled us . I don't know.

• Like 1

I do wonder if decades to come they'll say "Remember that Tommy Robinson bloke? Boy we should have listened to him?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I wasn't suggesting that pride was generated by the thought of leaving the EU. It's just a feeling I get that the country seems more 'together'. Maybe it was the World Cup that gelled us . I don't know.

Neither do I Fly. This is jnot a 'falling out' thing.  I think we just see things differently.  For me, the country is now  not only divided over the 'left' and 'right' of politics, but also over the 'In and Out 'of the EU.  Also the 'in' and 'out' are not related to Left or Right.

It's a mess, and I know what I'd do.. but that's not for this thread.

Col

9 hours ago, radfordred said:

I do wonder if decades to come they'll say "Remember that Tommy Robinson bloke? Boy we should have listened to him?

I seriously hope not.  He is a serial offender and convicted crook:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

• Like 1