I have no time for either Blair or Corbyn - Blair handing out amnesty to IRA while ppl like his wife make money from charging our troops for so called "atrocities" that (only happened in the mind of fantasists)  a long time ago. Corbyn will not face veterans nor support todays servicemen. My son is a serving Marine of whom i am very proud and my late husband served through the "troubles", whether or not you agree with me i really don't care its the opinion of a soldiers wife and mother. My one and only comment on this subject.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.

We have a policy of no politics on Nottstalgia, and this thread is now going too far in that direction.

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much groun

Col, I did you a disservice by not continuing to completely read your posts. I have read them, and digested them, but I'm afraid I still disagree over many varied points.

As I said, we're all too entrenched in our views now, and although you put forward some good variations on ideals, I'm still deep blue to your deep red, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's what makes the English a great race.

• Like 2

I am sure we have all heard enough on this subject I never wished to hijack this thread I came on because my grandfather was killed in 1918  He is not on any war memorial here but thanks to help I received from this site hopefully he will be on the new one when it is finished  I am passionate about free speech so i will leave dj360 to live in the liberal left wonderland he seems to inhabit  My final word talk to anyone about immigration and they talk in hushed voices knowing the hounds of hell will descend upon them screaming racist thats how political correctness works I thank you for your indulgence and let you get back to the original thread to all the brave lads who gave their all but i fear they would wonder how we let England get into the state its in today  meeowed

• Like 4

Thanks to all who have joined in with this discussion politely and without any 'Ad Hom'    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Just a reminder that it was not me who introduced a political discussion to this thread.  Careful readers will see where it came from. I just responded. However.  Maybe I should have picked up on the point and opended a new thread to discuss it.  We all live and learn.

This is definitely the last 'political' response I'm making in this thread.( Yes.. I know.. I've said it before....  ;) )  I have been allowed to say my piece on a range of issues raised by others and I regard that as progress for this site. 

And of course others who wish to have had their say.

There are many on here who I disagree with very strongly and vice-versa.  I've met most, and all are fine people.  I think no less of them now and hope they feel the same about me.

Observation.  'Strong Leadership' is not automatically a good thing.  I won't say more because that would lead me to fall foul of 'Godwin's Law'  ( Google it......    :) )

Final Observation.  No need for this. 

so i will leave dj360 to live in the liberal left wonderland he seems to inhabit 

Meeowd, you have expressed support for a number of very right wing, proven racist organisations and  political theories which would give me ample ammunition for name calling and 'Ad Hom'  I have not done so.

Back on topic.  I have a small mumber of  original World War 1 documents and photos.  I think I've posted some before. Others not.  I'll try to post them later.

Col

• Like 3

Lots of stuff on the telly just now about commemorations of the Battle of Amiens.  Scenes from Amiens cathedral.

I spent a week in Amiens with the kids when they were young.  Took them out to see their Mum who was studying there for her French Degree.

The cathedral is a phenomenal building and filled with plaques and memorials to allied forces from all countries.  Well worth a look if you are in that neck of Les Bois.  :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

The cathedral is a phenomenal building and filled with plaques and memorials to allied forces from all countries.  Well worth a look if you are in that neck of Les Bois.  :)

We stayed in Amiens 3 years ago, a very nice town and as Col says, a magnificent cathedral.  The night we were there they had a ‘Son et Lumiere’ at the cathedral.

0_E676_C09-01_AA-445_A-92_A3-4_C9_ECB5_CB1169_ED7-2800-4_DC5-_BA84-8969_E03_F176

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Went in the cathedral the first time I stayed there about twelve years ago.

Absolutely stunning, and breathtaking ! 

On 6 August 2018 at 12:59 PM, DJ360 said:

Thanks to all who have joined in with this discussion politely and without any 'Ad Hom'    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Observation.  'Strong Leadership' is not automatically a good thing.  I won't say more because that would lead me to fall foul of 'Godwin's Law'  ( Google it......    :) )

Col

DJ360

I do enjoy reading your posts which are inteligent and well reasoned and  even if I don't always agree they have encouraged me look at some of my political beliefs from a different perspective and actually review my previous opinion. I respect you greatly for that. 

However I have to say that making a post with links to Wikipedia and asking us to 'google it' in the manner you did above extremely patronising. Your clearly a bright chap. No need to rub it in.

I'm sure Hitler wouldn't have done such a thing.

• Like 4

Don't need the Guardian or 'pedia...it is all happening. My posts are my opinions...and based on my thoughts..ever been to.. or watched a 

Property Auction...mainly Asian or Middle Eastern buying...they pool family money ..it's a cultural thing..and the 'elder' is the banker.

I was reluctant quite often to give my Mam £25  a week board...never mind handing over a full pay packet to Gramps!..In turn ...a huge pile of money is available to buy/ speculate on the properties market...next time' Homes Under The Hammer' is on and it's south of Gateshead..hit the pause button. Thankfully i will be compost before the madness really kicks in!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

DJ360

I do enjoy reading your posts which are inteligent and well reasoned and  even if I don't always agree they have encouraged me look at some of my political beliefs from a different perspective and actually review my previous opinion. I respect you greatly for that. 

However I have to say that making a post with links to Wikipedia and asking us to 'google it' in the manner you did above extremely patronising. Your clearly a bright chap. No need to rub it in.

I'm sure Hitler wouldn't have done such a thing.

Let'savagoo, many thanks for the compliment!

I make no excuses for the Wiki and other links.  I was always taught to 'reference' my arguments whilst in school and at uni.  It's a way of demonstrating that there is some sort of evidence to support my opinions, or just a way of pointing those interested to further information.  That is subtly different to just 'Googling' for ideas and then plagiarising them, or copying and pasting great tracts. Perhaps a good thing we aren't discussing a lot of Psychology.  As I recall the convention was that practically every sentence had to be referenced to some source or other... in the text.. in brackets.. Author and Date as I recall.   ( Col 2018)    :) 

Re: The Godwin's Law reference.  I did think for a moment whether people would generally know Godwin's, or whether to explain it. I chose to say 'Google it' and I see now that it did come across as a bit patronising.  My apologies.  Lesson learned.

Col

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We stayed in Amiens 3 years ago, a very nice town and as Col says, a magnificent cathedral.  The night we were there they had a ‘Son et Lumiere’ at the cathedral.

0_E676_C09-01_AA-445_A-92_A3-4_C9_ECB5_CB1169_ED7-2800-4_DC5-_BA84-8969_E03_F176

Lovely pics Lizzie.  Is it my memeory playing up, or is there a little maze just in front of the cathedral on the right?

Col

I have to say Col I thought the Ad Hom link was a bit patronising but chose not to comment. 

I'm sure you don't need Ad Hom explained Brew... and you don't engage in it as you debate properly and politely.   However, a few here clearly do.

I have said a number of times that however much I disagree with people, I try to 'bat the ball.. not the man'.  A number of posts in the last couple of days indicate that some people disagree.

Col

I'm sure I've posted this before, but at least it's on topic  ;)

Grandad Jack. MM. Aged 17 1915.  Some people ask why he has a 'swagger stick', but I think it's actually a riding crop. 

He was a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery driving a team of horses pulling a gun.  I think there was a lot more to it than that, including  cae of the horses, and tack,

moving ammunition and other supplies and no doubt weilding a rifle and bayonet if necessary.  He didn't win his MM for nothing.

21456307302_7c6a459a19_c.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly no .  I'm not sure anyone has.  I did some digging and it seems that only one copy of the Citation was issued and was not replaceable.  Also, there was no print of the Citation in the London Gazette, as was the case with the Miitary Cross, for officers. 

Also, I can't find his notice in the London Gazette, despite having the date. (It's mentioned in his discharge papers.)

My cousins have his medals, but I have his bar of ribbons and his discharge papers.  Think I've said before that he told me he got it for 'Gewin wiyaart me dinner'.  I have some memory of being told it was for his actions after his crew was hit by 'incoming'.  Apparently he saw to the casualties, got the horses to safety and then returned to the gun and kept up a rate of fire single handedly.  That would be very much in line with the man I knew.  A tremendous sense of duty.

Col

Reverse of the photo above.  Gertrude Mary Munson went to Australia and died there around the 1980s.  She was actually the daughter of Jack's Dad's second wife from a previous relationship.

21357173092_ebd274a621_c.jpg

• Like 1

True - citations for the MM for WW1 are generally not available.  It might get a mention in his Unit's War Diary, or like my Great Uncles MM, be mentioned in his local newspaper.  London Gazette is notoriously difficult to search.  Try searching just using his  Regimental number - nothing else

• Like 1

Thanks for that Ann.  I'l have another look at some point.

I had a major computer crash a few months back and had to 'dump' almost all of my photos onto a back up drive.  They are still there and will remain so until I can fit a new hard drive to my PC, but I'll be able to post Jack's discharge papers then.

Col

DJ360.

I note the photograph of your grandfather has the photographers details pressed into the print 'E P Short'.

I have a very similar photograph of my grandfather at the side of my bed. It doesn't have the embossed mark but the mount is inscribed ' E. P Short. 35 Derby Rd. (Above Cathedral). Nottingham. It looks like they may have sat in the same studio. Sadly my grandfather did not survive and was killed on 21st March 1918. I have all the letters he wrote home. The letters were subject of a lottery funded project the last year where together with local historian Chris Weir we gave a number of talks to local history societies and there was a community drama written and performed. 

https://nlha.org.uk/event/angel-row-history-forum-5/

if your interested search 'present location uncertain' where you'll find details.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

DJ360.

I note the photograph of your grandfather has the photographers details pressed into the print 'E P Short'.

I have a very similar photograph of my grandfather at the side of my bed. It doesn't have the embossed mark but the mount is inscribed ' E. P Short. 35 Derby Rd. (Above Cathedral). Nottingham. It looks like they may have sat in the same studio. Sadly my grandfather did not survive and was killed on 21st March 1918. I have all the letters he wrote home. The letters were subject of a lottery funded project the last year where together with local historian Chris Weir we gave a number of talks to local history societies and there was a community drama written and performed. 

https://nlha.org.uk/event/angel-row-history-forum-5/

if your interested search 'present location uncertain' where you'll find details.

Many thanks for this Letsav.  Nothing wrong with your eyesight!  I couldn't make out the embossed bit until you wrote that, yet it's clear as day now.  I'll look at your link later.  I have another pic of Jack from later.. possibly on the occasion of his discharge from the reserves? He has his MM ribbon on his tunic and has clearly grown from a lad into a young man. It is a slightly timmed postcard with 'Ralty' printed on the back.  I'll try to post it later.  I have to figure out how to recover my old pics from my back up drive without messing anything up.  PC is a bit 'fragile' at the moment and I have a nice shiny new 2Tb drive ready for fitting.

Sorry to hear your Grandad didn't survive, especially as relatively close to the Armistice, but those letters must be fascinating and emotive.  I will have a thorough look at your link later.

Thanks again.

Col