My maternal Grandfather Ernest Owen Croft,  Gunner in Sherwood Foresters Regiment.  He survived the atrocities of the battlefield but passed away in 1954 when I was only 4 years old.  

5112-D933-847-F-4919-B80-B-96-E60-D3349-

B647-E820-59-EE-4-D17-AD10-AB45-C8-DFB07

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.

We have a policy of no politics on Nottstalgia, and this thread is now going too far in that direction.

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much groun

A hundred years later..this man still has not been awarded medals due to him..or his family.00tullW5.jpgWalter Tull..one of the first black football players ( Spurs.)

Did his patrioric chore..returned to the front after suffering shellshock twice..perished in 1918 and was awarded the MC...which to this day has not been issued. Shameful, and that goes for the other nations that fought and did not qualify for war pensions etc..

Referring to my post about my Grandfather, I didn’t realise til today that his name and other information was engraved around the edge of his war medals.  Having always thought he was in the Sherwood Foresters and feel sure I’ve seen him mentioned in the regiment information at Nottingham Castle, but on the edge of the medals is ‘ 75184  GNR . E. O. CROFT.  R.A.’  Indicating that he was in the Royal Artillery.   

• Like 1

Yes Lizzie, WW1 medals had the individual recipients details engraved. The Sherwood Foresters were an infantry regiment, his rank as Gunner is obviously Royal Artillery. Perhaps he may have started in the Foresters and was later transferred to the RA.

Possibly TBI.  I’m just thankful he came home and was still around long enough for me to remember him. Being his only grandchild he made a real fuss of me, he was an accomplished artist and he sat me on his knee at the kitchen table down the Meadows teaching me to draw.   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ernest O Croft served with Royal Garrison Artillery, Regimental no 75184 and Royal Engineers, Reg no 252987, according to his medal records.  His service records have actually survived (so many didn't) and there's no mention of Sherwood Foresters

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much Ann, I appreciate you checking that out for me.  Maybe it was my other Grandfather who was in the Sherwood Foresters, Donald Moss. But I have no other information on him. Even the photo I have of him in uniform doesn’t give much away.   He was in the timber trade before and after WW1 so maybe he was involved with something similar. 

Here is my "Australian" view of the Armistice Day proceedings

Yesterday I watched parts of the Remembrance Day services in Australia, Europe and the UK and I have made the following observations.

Having fought the Germans in WW1 with horrific loss of life the Australian Prime Minister turned up at the national remembrance service in Canberra in a BMW ……..How ironic!

President Trump could not attend a joint US and French service because it was raining ………….poor diddums!

Jeremy Corbyn wearing a hooded anorak …… disrespect

It makes me angry to see politicians in all countries and of all persuasions laying wreaths in remembrance of those that they sent to war and continue to do so  ……..Hypocrites....  even more so when they don't adequately care for them when they return damaged from their experiences

It annoys me that we play that dirge , our national anthem with the line “Girt By Sea” at memorial services in France to our first world war diggers. They would have never heard it, for crying out loud it should have been Waltzing Matilda, a tune they knew.

Lest We Forget

Image result for poppies

• Like 1

I didn't see him but have heard others comment on Corbyns choice of attire and they agree with  you Ozt, my other half being quite incensed.

Some said that at least he turned up but there were those that said it was hypocritical.

President Trump could not attend a joint US and French service because it was raining ………….poor diddums!

Have you seen what happens to candy floss (cotton candy) when it gets wet?

• Like 1

He will lead us into the wilderness with his endless borrowing, and our standard of living will nosedive dramatically ! 

He might want to save the world, but he's not doing it at my expense !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

What's not to like about himsmile2

Supporter of the IRA, refers to Hamas and Hezbollah as 'our friends' probable anti-Semitic, yeah quite right, what's not to like about him...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Although I dont usually get involved in political/religious discussions (they can get quite heated), I do think Corbyn and his cronies are quite dangerous. I agree with Fly and dread the thought of him being in power. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I bet his IRA sympathies  go down well in Warrington, even 25 or so years after the bombing atrocities.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1