• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.

We have a policy of no politics on Nottstalgia, and this thread is now going too far in that direction.

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much groun

Corbyn is a politician with principles, to his credit he sticks to them.

I prefer his consistency to those who lie and change their minds according to personal profit or popularity.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:31 AM, IAN123. said:

1914, Sherwood Foresters assembled ouside Victoria Station.60400.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgNote the horse drawn and motorised Jolleys Taxis at the rank.

Wonderfully moving picture, I always wondered if the officer addressing the troops went off to war or jumped back behind the wheel of the car..a whiskey at the Black Boy before returning to HQ.

• Like 1

Got me thinking..Great Great Grandad was in the Nott's & Derby's in the 1880's and his daughter married Great Grandad who was in Foresters in 1908..both men did their musket training at Newark..were the Foresters still based there in 1914?

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much ground but for tactical and practical reasons it proved to be the beginning of the end for Germany capitulated within months. Many thousands were killed that bloody day in a bloody war. Poinient for me as my paternal Grandfather was killed having the misfortune to be at the front where the attack was particularly severe. His battalion was literally wiped out. He has no known grave. His letters home are heartbreaking, his last written just 3 days before his death. Germany had a further attempt at World dominance 20 years later and were again thwarted with much loss of life on all sides. I am conscious that political comments are not allowed but will just say I wonder what those many many thousands killed would have to say if they could look at down and witness the European battle taking place at Westminster now.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I know what my paternal grandfather would have said. Unusually, for an Old Contemptible, he never stopped talking about the war. He was not in favour of the armistice either. If he'd had his way, Germany would never have caused any further trouble.

• Like 1

Nice thought provoking post letsavagoo, nothing political in your post at all, just facts and history that cannot be changed

Rog

Great posting letsavagoo! Your reminder of the heartbreaking losses of 1918 should never be forgotten; as indeed the losses of both world wars. We seem unable to learn lessons from our past and have a most unfortunate capacity to generate new ways of causing mayhem and grief.

• Like 1

I remember being quite upset at school after reading a book about the first battle of the Somme. I calculated it there were over 160 killed or injured for every square yard of ground gained... I've not thought of that for sixty years... put quite a damper on my day that has...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There was a TV prog relating to numbers generally re WW1. As well as casualty statistics, it mentioned shells fired, mines set, donkeys / mules / horses killed. Also machines used such as trucks, tanks, guns, cannons, you name it, they quoted a figure.

Re the Somme, I'm sure I recollect that over 100,000 shells were fired. Currently, a scrap merchants paradise.

• Like 3
On 2/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, IAN123. said:

Just been doing a bit of asking..via a mate of mine and the late NBL..seems that Gillott's shop at the bottom of Hockley had a history of some provenance in wars prior to '14-'18 one .

I had to visit Gillotts in the 80's with work and parts of it dated way way back. I was told that it was used as a safe house for highwaymen. 

11 hours ago, FLY2 said:

There was a TV prog relating to numbers generally re WW1. As well as casualty statistics, it mentioned shells fired, mines set, donkeys / mules / horses killed. Also machines used such as trucks, tanks, guns, cannons, you name it, they quoted a figure.

Re the Somme, I'm sure I recollect that over 100,000 shells were fired. Currently, a scrap merchants paradise.

Programme was WW1 in numbers..showed the only genuine footage of our brave lads being cut to pieces.deemed too extreme at the time and filmed in error ..There's a fascinating book about the photographer.filmer..started out in a tree..until he thought better..

12 hours ago, plantfit said:

Interesting letsavagoo,do you know any more

Rog

Sorry Rog. I don't. As I recall it was the last place on the right or about the last going down Hockley. Towards the back of the premises it was obviously really old and hadn't been touched a deal by the look of it. I spoke to a member of staff or maybe he was the owner and that's what he told me.

• Like 1

I tend to approach anything WW1 related with a 99℅ sad hat on. Been interested all my life..still find many of the stats inconceivable.

Before anybody jumps in..I don't consider myself to be the ultimate saddo!;)

• Like 1

My Grandmothers first husband was injured at Somme and died later. He was also in a Bantam Regiment. Notts & Derby Regiment Sherwood Foresters.

11qj0ya.jpg

• Like 2

When you see the state of England today, it makes me wonder what on earth was the sacrifice of all those people for !!.

• Like 1

A few years ago the NEP did a full page spread about the Nottingham Bantams, I do have a copy somewhere,a bit tatty but if I can find it I'll take a couple of pictures and post them on here

Rog

One of those postcards above depicts the medieval cloth hall in Ypres. It was blown to bits and all but destroyed. I've visited Ypres a few times and the hall was rebuilt after the war in excatly the state it had been. It's beautiful and you would never know it had received a scratch. Now partly a museum with many artefacts of the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypres_Cloth_Hall

• Like 3