Yes, the Cloth Hall and museum is well worth a visit, we get that way quite often. The thing I really like about Ypres and Flanders generally is how much the locals like us Brits. We've been told many times how Belgians even today, appreciate what we did for them during those awful times. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alas this isn't the Notts & Derby Regiment or the Sherwood Foresters:This photograph represents WW1 soldiers paying tribute to horses used and lost in the conflict.

We have a policy of no politics on Nottstalgia, and this thread is now going too far in that direction.

Yesterday marked exactly 101 years (21.3.1918) since since Germany launched what became known as their spring offensive in France. Their attack was initially very successful and they gained much groun

I totally agree with you there TBI, when I used to ride up to Assen i sometimes used to stay overnight in Belgium and was always made to feel welcome. Wonderful folks.

• Like 3

TBI & Waddo, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. You can feel that if you attend the Menin gate ceremony at 20.00hours. My wife and I attended two nights on the trot and found it very moving. Before the last post, a list of names is read each night (different each time), all British, I believe. Beekay.

• Like 5

I attended the Menin Gate ceremony whilst staying at Ypres a few years back. Harry Patch, one of the last Tommy's was there.

A superb occurrence.

• Like 4

When in Swanage a week or so, in order to see the Flying Scotsman, I parked in the main car park, which was situated adjacent to the church.  After seeing FS, and having had a meal, plus a stroll along the pier , I made a point of wandering around the churchyard, as there was a War Graves Commission sign  on the gate. I made a specific point of reading every single WW1 gravestone, and said my thanks. 

There must have been dozens, but I didn't intend leaving until I'd read them all. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, DJ360 said:

I don't know which Manchester Bomber you mean.  The only one I've heard of blew himself apart.

Let me enlighten you, Hashem Abedi, brother of Manchester bomber Salman, given a minimum 55 years for the murders of 22 people, what purpose will it serve to keep him alive? Time for the rope, let's see him swing. Ridiculous!

RR, Yes.. I said that. 

However.. we've all slept a few times since then and I have been aware of  Hashem Abedi for a long time.  Both my daughters and their families live in Manchester and I was worried sick on the night of the bombing as my youngest might have been there.

Anyway. As to execution...  Maybe the fact that our system doesn't allow for the cold blooded killiing of people gives us the moral high ground over people like Abedi and others who see killing as a means to their ends?

The massacre of innocents causes much discontent amongst the crminal fraternity. I doubt he will have a happy time incarcerated - he certainly wouldn't in a French prison.

• 1 year later...

Scotish fusiliers recruited on Bridlesmith Gate..due to deleted numbers..

Less than a third were Scottish by the time of the Somme, second wave, July 13/14th..

Rest in peace..my great uncle..