IAN123.

World War One.

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I think we are paying for our Empire!

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Using that criteria he would seem to have much in common with Mahatma Ghandi and Nelson Mandela!

My last word on this.  I don't want to start a row.

Ghandi and Mandela both employed peaceful tactics and rhetoric.  Both were working to overcome the oppression of their ethnic majority, by a white, exploitative, racist, effectively colonial minority.

Yaxley-Lennon ( AKA 'Tommy Robinson' .. no doubt in an attempt to sound like a good old English 'Tommy') is doing the exact opposite.  He is attempting to whip up hatred and prejudice, by using inflammatory language, lies and misinformation. He has led, or been a member of some of the most reviled and illegal far right and racist organisations ever to have stained this country. ( BNP, EDL, etc.) He uses classic far right tactics.  He was jailed for contempt of court... not for his views.

This is not your traditional Labour,-Conservative knockabout politics.  Things are getting very nasty.  The likes of the openly racist bigot Steve Bannon from the US are actively , verbally and financially backing dangerous idiots like Yaxley-Lennon here, in the US and all over Europe.  Hitler started out claiming he was not allowed to express his views and claiming he was being silenced by an evil state.  Look where that got us.

Yaxley -Lennon has been in and out of gaol for decades.  not for his views, but for assault, fraud, deception and numerous other crimes. His politics are inconsistent and muddled he is just a dangerous idiot, but a 'useful idiot' for the darker forces whicxh back him and his sort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

safe_image.php?d=AQDaElgCsxrj0yAw&w=476&
There's absolutely no doubt that the extreme-right is on the rise. Italy, Hungary, Poland, and Israel have elected extreme-right ethno...
anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com

Jon Darby, Lesley Jane de Banke, Celia Helen Melia and 1,288 others like this.

???? You are of course entitled to your opinion as am I to mine. What is your take on Emmeline Panckhurst in that case?

From a considerable distance, I disagree with some of her more violent tactics, partiicularly arson, as it is a potentially indiscriminate weapon.

However, just as with Ghandi and Mandela,  Pankhurst was not running a campaign of hate against a minority like Yaxley -Lennon. 

She was campaigning for equal voting rights.. which are a fundamental principle of democracy, with a small number of exceptions.

Beyond her campaigning for Women's Suffrage, a principle which I fully support... I probably would not have agreed with much of Pankhurst's poltics.

Mandela was an active terrorist  !

• Like 1

Mandela was briefly active.  In the face of the horrific abuse of blacks in South Africa by the Apartheid regime.. it's hardly surprising even if it is difficult to condone.  The ANC was entirely non violent until 1960 when the Govt murdered 69 protesters at Sharpeville.

Mandela was tried for treason.  He was not accused of murder and would have been executed had he been.

Mandela spent most of the remaining time in prison, educating himself and calling for non violent resistance.

Again, Mandela was fighting to end clear and inhuman oppression of a black majority by a white minority.  Yaxley-Lennon is spreading hate against a minority.

Martin McGuiness ?

Oh yes I can!.. 

Ooops....  :wacko:

As a society..we really are not mixing with certain people of the world..lets face it.I don't think it is intentional..it's a severe difference in cultures.How many black or Asian people partake in this site?..I have seen photos taken on here of concerts at Wollaton Park..no asian or hardly any black people in a sea of white folk.

Not in all cases..but in the main.

The Chinese have been in Britain for nearly 200 years...first in Liverpool and so-on.

A hard working ..but private nation.

Indian people seem to intergrate more easily than their neighbours..of Pakistan..why this is..i do not know.

The nature of a multi society is now...a person born in Lenton..of foreign parents...or mainly Grandparents chooses to be 'British' rather than English.

Last year a taxi driver very sharply told me "his parents were born in Pakistan"..

He was born in Dunkirk and told me he is  British "in passport only".

There's the rub with most.

A good soul is any religon or skin colour...but it seems we have a long way yet to existing in harmony together.

• Like 1

Mandela was convicted on all 8 counts of terrorism To make this man a role model is hypocrisy Winnie mandela was a common murderer and now we have the killing of the white farmers Anyone who uses violence to further political ends is a terrorist  meeowed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So that would include those who used violence to enforce the colonisation of South Africa and the oppression of its people through Apartheid?

Here we go again  !

It's a discussion, FLY, and an interesting one.... no-one is personally attacking another member.   I think there  have been some interesting and informative posts on the subject of exactly who is a terrorist.  

• Like 2

I suspect this thread is getting a bit political or is this some sort of new word game ?

• Like 1

It is a political discussion Mike.  That's true.  But I agree with Margie that it is also a polite and informative one.

Personally, I don't think I've ever started a political discussion, but I do respond to provocative statements.

Col

• Like 3

What provocative statements might I ask ?

Where i worked until recently it was a real multi- mix of nationalities ,,...one day a bloke came in and asked  ''is Dave here Ben?  i said which one Black Dave,,Pakistani Dave,,or Dave the Dick head,,?    you can't say that he says''

I said course i can  one is Black one is Pakistani and the other is a Dick head !!!  just as i'd said it Dick-head walked in.........and i said he's here,, Dick head,,you ok?  caused much laughter not least from 'Dick-head Dave,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, meeowed said:

Mandela was convicted on all 8 counts of terrorism To make this man a role model is hypocrisy Winnie mandela was a common murderer and now we have the killing of the white farmers Anyone who uses violence to further political ends is a terrorist  meeowed

Boudica?

Oliver Cromwell?

It's never clear cut and probably the most misused charge in history is that of Treason.

Treason is essentially whatever the ruling powers say it is.

Anne Boleyn was found guilty of High Treason in order to give Henry VIII an excuse to get rid of her.

Numerous others died at Henry's order for similarly trumped up reasons.

Sophie Scholl was guillotined in Germany by the Nazis on charges of High Treason.  She was 21 and 'guilty' of distributing anti war leaflets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl

8 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

What provocative statements might I ask ?

Ok, in this case I withdraw the word 'provocative', but you really didn't expect me to let a mention of ' Tommy ( "My real name is Yaxley-Lennon") Robinson' pass without pointing out that he is a long term  petty criminal and was jailed for crimes, not for his views as he likes to imply?

Col

If Nelson Mandela was such an evil person ,could someone explain to me why in the years before his release and after was most of the world leaders and celebrities falling over themselves to be associated with and photographed with him

PS

I prefer to read about Nottstalgia and look at photos of Nottingham.

• Like 3

Let history speak for itself trogg, Google will find plenty of information for you. My opinion is that he was extremely lucky not to have been hanged for his alleged crimes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1