IAN123.

World War One.

“and his sister's son died in the far east during WW2 and is buried in a famous Cemetary there.  I don't recall the details but I have them somewhere. The old memory is getting a bit shakey..”

That would be Douglas Lawson Whyman, Col.

Son of Frank Whyman. Died on the Death Railway and is buried in the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery in Thailand.

Visited years ago, but didn’t realise he was buried there until much later. Shame.

You are right about Douglas Lawton AG.  But I was I think mistaken about Dorothy Whyman's son.. Who would in any case not have been called Whyman, but Horton.. Dorothy's married name.

Col

62307.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgCaptain GC Vickers VC.. in Nottm Market Place..a reception presenting him with his Victoria Cross medal.Standing alongside him is his Mother.

• Like 1

1914, Sherwood Foresters assembled ouside Victoria Station.60400.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgNote the horse drawn and motorised Jolleys Taxis at the rank.

• Like 2

My uncle George and great uncle Jack Ward could also be among them. My grandads were not in The Sherwood Foresters but KRRC and RA.

• Like 1

Yes. Ordinary men called upon to do and endure extraordinary things. The wife’s grandad is on the Menin Gate. Took a direct hit from a shell. Her great-uncle won the MM, in an artillery battery literally firing until the last round. My grandad was one of the “lucky”ones, served all the way though as a lewis gunner and saw lots of action at the front. Wounded at Aubers Ridge.

Last year I bought a “Passchendael Poppy” (that’s where her grandad died) and I wear it all the time - lest we forget.

• Like 3

I look at pictures like that Ian and I feel very sad and then I feel very angry.

• Like 2

My maternal Grandfather Ernest Owen Croft,  Gunner in Sherwood Foresters Regiment.  He survived the atrocities of the battlefield but passed away in 1954 when I was only 4 years old.  

5112-D933-847-F-4919-B80-B-96-E60-D3349-

B647-E820-59-EE-4-D17-AD10-AB45-C8-DFB07

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

A hundred years later..this man still has not been awarded medals due to him..or his family.00tullW5.jpgWalter Tull..one of the first black football players ( Spurs.)

Did his patrioric chore..returned to the front after suffering shellshock twice..perished in 1918 and was awarded the MC...which to this day has not been issued. Shameful, and that goes for the other nations that fought and did not qualify for war pensions etc..

Archie Saunt 1890-1915 great uncle

John Samuel Ward 1895-1918 great uncle

Thomas William Sparrow 1881-1917  great uncle

Never known but never forgotten.

• Like 3

Referring to my post about my Grandfather, I didn’t realise til today that his name and other information was engraved around the edge of his war medals.  Having always thought he was in the Sherwood Foresters and feel sure I’ve seen him mentioned in the regiment information at Nottingham Castle, but on the edge of the medals is ‘ 75184  GNR . E. O. CROFT.  R.A.’  Indicating that he was in the Royal Artillery.   

• Like 1

Yes Lizzie, WW1 medals had the individual recipients details engraved. The Sherwood Foresters were an infantry regiment, his rank as Gunner is obviously Royal Artillery. Perhaps he may have started in the Foresters and was later transferred to the RA.

Possibly TBI.  I’m just thankful he came home and was still around long enough for me to remember him. Being his only grandchild he made a real fuss of me, he was an accomplished artist and he sat me on his knee at the kitchen table down the Meadows teaching me to draw.   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

When the War Memorial was first built on the Embankment, it included a set of steps and stonework on the other side of the road, on the river bank, but at some later time, those steps were removed.

MQTLrKX.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yes CT, the steps were removed late forties/early fifties as part of the Council's flood plan. However, I can't see that it would have made any difference to flooding.

• Upvote 2

Ernest O Croft served with Royal Garrison Artillery, Regimental no 75184 and Royal Engineers, Reg no 252987, according to his medal records.  His service records have actually survived (so many didn't) and there's no mention of Sherwood Foresters

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much Ann, I appreciate you checking that out for me.  Maybe it was my other Grandfather who was in the Sherwood Foresters, Donald Moss. But I have no other information on him. Even the photo I have of him in uniform doesn’t give much away.   He was in the timber trade before and after WW1 so maybe he was involved with something similar. 

Here is my "Australian" view of the Armistice Day proceedings

Yesterday I watched parts of the Remembrance Day services in Australia, Europe and the UK and I have made the following observations.

Having fought the Germans in WW1 with horrific loss of life the Australian Prime Minister turned up at the national remembrance service in Canberra in a BMW ……..How ironic!

President Trump could not attend a joint US and French service because it was raining ………….poor diddums!

Jeremy Corbyn wearing a hooded anorak …… disrespect

It makes me angry to see politicians in all countries and of all persuasions laying wreaths in remembrance of those that they sent to war and continue to do so  ……..Hypocrites....  even more so when they don't adequately care for them when they return damaged from their experiences

It annoys me that we play that dirge , our national anthem with the line “Girt By Sea” at memorial services in France to our first world war diggers. They would have never heard it, for crying out loud it should have been Waltzing Matilda, a tune they knew.

Lest We Forget

Image result for poppies

• Like 1

I didn't see him but have heard others comment on Corbyns choice of attire and they agree with  you Ozt, my other half being quite incensed.

Some said that at least he turned up but there were those that said it was hypocritical.

I heard something on the radio that Nottm Forest were playing Stoke City on Saturday. All the players wore poppies apart from one Stoke player, he had received death threats for this.

Don't think he'd look any better in a Savile Row suit. Some people look innately scruffy no matter what they wear. Others can look glamorous in a Hessian sack.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1