Here is a copy of an eMail sent to me by a cousin in 2015. I'd forgotten about it.  I really must get all of this stuff properly organised while I can still remember my own name...

It ties together my Grandad Jack Whyman, his half brother George Taylor Whyman, the 'Nut Yard/Bobber's Mill thread and a couple of pics I posted in another thread.  Was it called 'Nostalgic Old Photos?  All of these people are gradually coming together and becoming a part of a wider story, rather than just black and white photos.

Hi Colin

Thanks so much for the photos they are brilliant it was lovely to see my great grandma Alice Whitehead I could only ever imagine what she looked like it’s a pity you haven’t got one of great grandad John Alices husband. The picture of Great grandad George Pearson with a young woman in white I think It’s his second wife Ethel Alice Bailey because when he married her he was 44 she was 24 also the lady in black sitting in a garden with a baby on her knee must be her as well ?. I also saw in the evening post a couple of weeks ago about 23 men from the 9th Battalion Sherwood Foresters  are remembered on the Menin Gate a memorial to British and Commonwealth First World War dead, in the Belgian town of Ypres. Most of the Foresters died in the early weeks of June 1917 they included 4   a Captain whose courage earned him the Military Cross a Private from Clayton St Nottm  another from Lenton  who survived his wounds in 1916 then was poisoned by gas attack then there was a Pte George Taylor Whyman from Sutton in Ashfield a married man with 4 children born in the Railway House at Bobbers Mill he was killed when a shell burst in his trench this would be the son of Great Grandad John Whyman and his first wife Francis Taylor, Grandad Jack Whyman’s step brother there was also a picture of him but it’s not very clear, I will see if I can take it on my phone and send it to you. Anyway thanks again going now to watch (Who do you think you are).

Bye for now Jill x

Col

These things bug me, the trousers that is, so have enlarge the picture, it is hard to tell without the original.

But the guy third from the right I think has a different cap and cap badge, he also carries a Sgt Major stripes as does the guy next to him, there wouldn't be two Sgt Majors in a battery, finally he is missing the lanyard tucked in his left breast pocket.

I reckon he is from a different unit on attachment.

There's at least one more man with three stripes, just to the right of the officers.

I have read that the RH&RFA went through lots of reorganisations and redesignations throughout WW1.  Maybe that explains it.  Maybe if it's a pic of the Reserve, they didn't all have full uniform?  I really don't know.

Incidentally, in the link to Jack's entry in the London Gazette, a close look at that shows they have printed 'Robber's Mill' not 'Bobber's Mill'.  Frankly, given the amount of admin and organisation required at the time, with no computers, no internet etc., I'm amazed they didn't make more mistakes.

“and his sister's son died in the far east during WW2 and is buried in a famous Cemetary there.  I don't recall the details but I have them somewhere. The old memory is getting a bit shakey..”

That would be Douglas Lawson Whyman, Col.

Son of Frank Whyman. Died on the Death Railway and is buried in the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery in Thailand.

Visited years ago, but didn’t realise he was buried there until much later. Shame.

You are right about Douglas Lawton AG.  But I was I think mistaken about Dorothy Whyman's son.. Who would in any case not have been called Whyman, but Horton.. Dorothy's married name.

Col

62307.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgCaptain GC Vickers VC.. in Nottm Market Place..a reception presenting him with his Victoria Cross medal.Standing alongside him is his Mother.

• Like 1