How many early memories do you have?

At the last meet up, I was talking with Albert and he was telling me how he goes through his life in sections, trying to remember as much as he can in order in each section.... so I thought I'd give it a go a few nights ago when sleep was eluding me.

I made my own rule that the memories wouldn't be counted if they were just photos I'd got.  They had to be memories which had no photographic record.  And they had to be MY memories, not events I'd been told about by my parents.

I tried to remember things in chronological order (that helped) and found out that I had 15 specific memories from birth to when I started Primary school, and 155 from aged 5 to when I started secondary school.   Trying to remember things in this ordered way brought back things i had forgotten for several decades...

That was enough for that night, but when I'd finished, I had the strangest feeling that I was writing an account of my 'Book of Life' which would be shown after I'd died to the appropriate authorities!!   

A few few nights later, I started on memories from age 11 to 17, but strangely, this was much more difficult as there were so many they started to get jumbled up in my mind.  Perhaps I'll have another go on another day (or night)

Thank you, Albert,  for our chat - it has really helped me - hope others will try it, too

• Like 6

Life in sections, interesting,, could do two till five'' five to ten' ten to fifteen''  which roughly is pre school,,infants,,juniors,,seniors,,........i'll give it a go......

• Like 1

Two yr old to five yr old

In me pushchair moving from Leybourne drive to Andover road,,behind Dad who was carrying a very large Radio.

Uncle Bill tacking lino down on the stairs landing.

In me Pushchair again,,rolling towards the river down Bulwell Bogs,,clutching a Sucker.

In bed one xmas, listening to all the family singing downstairs,,Xmas tree caught fire.

Crossing Trent Bridge with Grandad Jackson to see Notts cricket.

Grandad playing the Accordian  (spell)

Grandad not Jackson, pretending his false teeth were a crocodile in the bath.

• Like 4

My first memory pre school, running up the road with no shoes or socks on

after my Brothers and Sister it was her first day at school and I was being left

on my own.

Being on my own in the front garden playing on a drum it was round my neck

on string a woman and a little boy who was crying walked past, the woman came 

back yanked the drum from my neck saying that's my boys and walked off.

There will be lots of happy memories but they are the two that always come to mind.

• Like 1

Here's some of my preschool ones that are suitable for sharing on here..

Kneeling  in my pram, looking forwards over the hood as mum pushed me up Woodthorpe Drive.  She stopped to talk to a lady in a brown coat at the top of the hill.

Sitting in a little 'walker seat' on wheels in our front porch.  It had a little tray on the front for food.

Running out of the door with no clothes on as mum was getting my little bath (tin) ready and getting just past the front gate.  My brother ran after me and was cross with me for running off.

Mum and I were visiting another lady and her son (same age as me) and we must have been in the middle of our potty training as I remember the boy and me sitting on our potties in the room!

I remember when I was about 4, going up the road with a little basket to pick dandelion leaves for my rabbit.  Mum watched me from the gate, but I remember feeling good that I was doing it by myself!

• Like 2

Crawling around on the floor with a neighbor's dog named,. Jill.  No offense Jill, that was the doggy's name.  :rolleyes:. At my grandma's house. I spent a lot of time there.  Probably where my love of dogs started.

• Like 2

Nowt wrong with a dog named Jill. Actually, I know a cat named Dave...and one named Nigel...one named Craig...one called Charlie...one called Graham (he's grey!),  one named Fred and one named Humphrey. They're all gorgeous!

One of my earliest memories is waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the full moon, low in the sky, shining in through the bedroom window. I was frightened and started crying.  I was sleeping in my cot in my parents' bedroom, so I would be very young. Clearly remember looking at this round, glowing object through the bars of the cot.

Dad went downstairs and made me some warm milk after which I went back to sleep. I've never forgotten it.

• Like 3

I remember the Health Visitor coming to the house when I was very small, long before I started school at 4. In those days they wore very smart uniforms, coats and hats. She turned up this particular day and I was playing at nurses as I often did. Running around with a blue and white striped dress, a tiny apron and a pair of white knickers on my head to represent a nurse's cap!

I collared her with my toy stethoscope and probably talked her to death.

I remember her saying to mum "You'll be glad when she's gone to school!"  :blink:

• Like 2

A cat named Dave.  I like that, Jill.  First dog I ever owned we called Fred.  Great dog, a real mutt.  A mix of everything.  He lived to be 16.  For some reason mutts (mongrels). Seem to last longer than purebreds.

• Like 2

Although people say I'm mistaken, I can remember being pushed in my pram and then in my pushchair. One of the places I remember going to is the baby clinic which was next to Hyson Green library on Gregory Boulevard. One occasion stands out in my mind because of screaming children. Vaccinations! I sat on mum's knee and all I could hear was screaming and crying. Don't remember the vaccination itself but could probably work out which one it was because I still have all the little vaccination cards with dates on. Still have my sister's too. Mum kept them all. My word, they're owd now!

Not so many vaccinations as children get nowadays but enough when you don't like needles. Of course, there was the smallpox vaccination which is no longer given. Now there's MMR instead.

• Like 1

Lots of memories. Remember being taken to the creche half way up Brierley St. Was on the left set into the Reccie. Would have been late 1947. My Gran lived opposite at 21 Brierley St.  Later went to Queens Walk Primary at the bottom of Brierley. Remember sitting on my Uncles shoulder to see the Sherwood Foresters? marching up Carrington Street on their return from the war.  I think they formed up down the Embankment and marched to Slab Square. My Dad served with the Lincolnshire Poachers, he brought back a German radio which blew up when he tried to get it going.  

Probably late 1940's walking to Sunday School at Castlegate Congregational Church from the Meadows.  As usual running late so taking short cut through bombed buildings. Think the short cut went from Listergate through to centre of Castlegate where the church was.  Still got scar on knee from falling over on broken glass there. Couldn't tell anyone as we had been TOLD not to take the shortcut as there were cellars that could collapse. I remember my sister and self picking our way through the rubble in our Sunday best.

Remember pushing a tea chest on pram wheels up to the gasworks across London Road from Station Street to collect coke for the fire. Same tea chest and pram wheels went to Hunger Hills allotments to collect apples and pears from trees on our allotment. This was up St Ann's Well Road.  Enough for now.

Alison

• Like 2

5 year old to 10 year old memories,,,

Mam taking me to first day at school.......The Huts'' on Gainsford crescent,,

First Teacher Mrs Taylor......Hut 1, playing in sand pit.

All the family meeting and singing in The ''Standard of England'' Park Lane Old Basford, 

Watching Uncle George play Cricket in Skegness,,and Grandma doing the Teas.

Going on Holiday to Rhyl by Train, 

Minutes silence in school playground,when the ''King'' died.

Getting shot in the ankle with an Air gun at Jelly Lake'' Moorbridge.

First Kiss,girl named Dolly at school.

First Fight,,with a big fat lad,at school. lost,

Being a 'Page Boy' at St Marys Bulwell,,dressed in white silk shirt and trousers,Mam had made.

Getting Bitten,,trying to save my Cat Tom,,from a pack of Dogs.

• Like 1

My earliest clear memory is of going and being on holiday at Butlins, Filey in 1947. I was two. Before that, I have vague memories of the snow and next door's dog (Rufus) in the 1946- 47 winter but that may be distorted by a couple of photographs that we used to have.

I was two and a bit when at Butlins and we went on the train from Hucknall Central Station!

• Like 2

Funny thing is Loppy      not seen Dolly for over 50 years........until a couple of years ago,,in Bulwell ,she looked just the same facially.....and she also recognised me........naturally i said..........''well Hello Dolly' youre looking 'swell' Dolly,,

choir please.........lol

• Like 2

My first day at school, teacher Mrs Reynolds always wore a flowered smock.

Another vague memory which mum confirmed. My mums aunt sent me a beautiful dress from south Africa. The road had just been freshly tarmacked. I sat on the kerb as you used to when small, I picked up a stick and started poking at the tarmac and wiping it on my dress.

Needless to say mum was,,,sorry I can't remember.

Another vague memory of when I wanted a desk. Mum was lucky enough to find a second hand one in the next street. So while a neighbour looked after me she went to collect it. I saw her bring it into the house and you can imagine my joy. She hid it in a tea chest and told me not to say anything to Daddy. I couldnt wait for Daddy to arrive and blurted out" Daddy I haven't got a desk and its not in the tea chest" 

This was before I was 5 as we came to live in Nottm when I was 5 just in time to start school and the tar incident happened in Barrow in Furness. 

• Like 2

Reading some of these memories has clicked something into place and I can remember snatches of happenings. Will concentrate later 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Funny thing is Loppy      not seen Dolly for over 50 years........until a couple of years ago,,in Bulwell ,she looked just the same facially.....and she also recognised me........naturally i said..........''well Hello Dolly' youre looking 'swell' Dolly,,

choir please.........lol

Its so good to see you back where you belong

You're looking swell, Dolly.

I can tell. Dolly.                                              Oh Oh!  Brain problem.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Nice one Loppy........who needs the ladies for a good sing song............Dolly don't ever go away again........lol

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

..who needs the ladies for a good sing song.

I have just got home and picked my laptop up. Dash, I see I am too late for a singsong. Sorry Fellas, You did alright the pair of you.:biggrin:

• Like 2

Thanks carnie,, me and Loppy are thinking of going on Tour,,probably by a Mississippi river boat,, we'll be known as,,''old dogs new tricks''....lol

• Like 3

Another thought came to mind.  When I was about five I really got an interest in the tech' side of radio.  An older cousin helped me build a crystal set.  It could get the Light, Home and Third programs.  With a  long piece of wire strung over the clothes posts in the garden for an aerial.   I used to attach the earth wire to the kitchen tap.  I think my grandma thought I was trying to electrocute her.  :biggrin:    I used to sit in the kitchen enthralled with a pair of headphones on.  Probably started my love of classical music on the third program, which it seemed to pick up best.   I think my folks thought I was going crazy.  Oh well.  It started a lifelong interest.  Later I managed to pick up a station in Switzerland, but I never quite managed the art of yodeling.

• Like 4