Sign in to follow this  
IAN123.

1979- The Winter of Discontent.

1979 was an unusual year..i was leaving Mansfield that Summer.

Apparently it was the most diverse year ...musically in the pop charts.

I went to work at Boots...but there was a haulage strike...all the stock and orders were delivered in Taskers..16ft trailors pulled by small Custom Cab Fords.The bin strike was on- bags piled sky high outside my Brothers flat in London.Bread was short...i do recall sitting in a queue at Alan Pond Garage at the bottom of Nottm Rd.for yonks.

Went to Ireland for a holiday( the Pope Mobile) was all the talk.

Boots rang up ..pleading me to go back..as the lorry drivers have gone back to work...talk about overtime!

6am - to 9pm.

Earned enough over a period of time to escape to Holland.Knock on Wood by Ami Stewart rings a bell...no..that was Anita Ward.the-streets-of-newcastle-during-the-rubb

• Like 2

Anita Ward, was she a cleaner at the hospital?

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to get political but my take on 1979 was that the Trade Union members were being manipulated by their left wing leaders who wanted to hold the government to ransome. The Labour Prime Minister James Callaghan who had left wing leanings lost power in the 1979 General Election which brought Margaret Thatcher to power who later took on Arthur Scargill and introduced measures to curb Trade Union's power. I worry that if Jeremy Corbyn ever became Prime Minister then his allies John McDonnell, Len McCluskey and Dianne Abbott would take Britain back to those dark ( no pun intended) days.

• Like 1

Lots of unrest in 1979...was that another Green Godess year?notts21.jpgHad little impact on me...i was welded to the high stool in here!

Photo is in 1979.

Sorry Ian. I don't think I understand your comment.

I think the picture is the Boots Social  Club at the Trent Bridge end of Arkwright St. So do you mean you were sat at the bar there partaking of the excellent Whitbread Trophy dispensed by the affable Gerry?

Bloomin heck Ian that must have hurt ................. Gas or Arc welding?

Think I will stick (pun intended) with glueimsorry

4 hours ago, Mess said:

Sorry to get political but my take on 1979 was that the Trade Union members were being manipulated by their left wing leaders who wanted to hold the government to ransome. The Labour Prime Minister James Callaghan who had left wing leanings lost power in the 1979 General Election which brought Margaret Thatcher to power who later took on Arthur Scargill and introduced measures to curb Trade Union's power. I worry that if Jeremy Corbyn ever became Prime Minister then his allies John McDonnell, Len McCluskey and Dianne Abbott would take Britain back to those dark ( no pun intended) days.

Sorry that should be ransom. Obviously my Grammar School education let me down in this instance either that or I've been reading Swallow & Amazons recently.

main_900.jpgAfghans learn of looming attack by Russia.803983252.jpgMore friendlier...Torville & Dean ,Xmas

Diversity sure was 1979!DU2z_LIRXUAAb_OPG.jpgFiat Female Furore.Copy_of_smurf1979.jpgFather Abraham?!poster_2534917b.jpgThe beginning of the end.

• Like 1

Seemed the whole Country hated the 1979...shape of things to come i'm afraid and still present.nuj250.jpgEvening Post were even standing at the braziers.nottingham-england-19789-the-nottingham-Took years for it to be fully resolved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1