Where does ‘The North’ begin

I do think that topics we discuss on Nottstalgia are often used on the radio, especially local stations. All the anonymous ‘Guests’ are likely to be researchers looking for something to talk about. 

• Upvote 1

Re Lizzies point regarding guests being researchers, I clicked on 'Online Users' last week, and there were about 30 'guests ' viewing the same topic. Odd I say !

I think the 'guests' are mainly bots. sometines known as Web Crawlers, Web Scrapers and Spiders. Small programs that search the web looking for specific words or phrases and reporting the data it finds back to whoever launched it.

The code for such a program is quite small and takes less than an A4 page to write. Depending on the depth it's set mine it will return millions of web pages with a few hours.

Here is a simple example - don't try to run it I've deliberatly crippled it.

http://www.filedropper.com/spider_3

• Like 1

I'm about ready to kiss the Internet goodbye,  Brew.

A day or two ago I started a thread about the Yellowstone volcano.  In it I mentioned that when I lived in Calgary we got a dusting of ash when Mt St Hellen's blew in 1980.  Next day I'm getting ads for the Calgary Stampede coming up in July.  I don't think that is coincidence.  There have been quite a few other examples over the last while.  I'm getting sick of it.

Loppy my old friend what you on about ?

edit, senior moment, now understand..................

• Like 1