IAN123.

NG1/2..1949.

A series of black and white photographs depicting Derby Rd.and surrounds-194968519.1.280.99999.unpad_1.jpgDerby Rd.near Chapel Bar and Mount St. Morkel & Carnell the car dealers.

Smalleys moved further down some years later.

68480.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgTop of Derby Rd..just past the cigar factory.Prudential and Pearl Assurance took up residence past Chiltons..again 1949.68518.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgTaken from Boots Pure drug Chemists.68489.1.280.99999.unpad.jpg1949, showing Tomlinsons store, photo shot from outside undertakers.68510.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgSaid Undertakers- Clowers..like Smeatons up the road they made headstones also.68969.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgilkeston Rd.1949.68476.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgArmy Headquarters and Drill Hall..1949.68512.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgDerby rd.161/163.68492.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgThe man from the Pru?Dentons on Derby Rd.1949.

• Like 4

I would have been eleven when those photo's were taken. The only things that I can remember was the Army HQ (Drill Hall), Morkel & Carnell and the steps. For some reason I just cannot remember a lot about our City. Wish I had to skills to bring up Streetview . I took a 'Streetview' walk from the Forest gates down Bentink Rd., turned left up Southey St., right into Lake St., and then left up Peveril St. Lots of recollections about that area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Wish I had to skills to bring up Streetview

It is really easy to take a screenshot of what you see on Google Street view

When you get to the view you want all you have to do is press the key on the bottom row of your keyboard that looks like a window with 4 panes whilst holding this down press the key on the top row that says "prt scr or print screen" it may also have "sysreq" on it too and the screen will dim briefly indicating that it has taken the "photo".

Depending on the set up of your computer it will put this image in a folder called "Screenshots" or "Pictures"

You can click on the picture to edit it with the picture edit function and to crop it to remove anything that you don't want anyone else to see. Then it is a simply matter of copying and then pasting into NS

• Like 2

68462.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgDerby Road, 1949 this became Park Stores in my day.68532.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgcastles sweet shop,Derby Rd.Post Office and the Hardware shop..1949.

Derby Road Cafe became Roger Turners?...years later than this 1949 image.e6df9b0c63f201293f4c89d4326d6cb1.jpg

• Like 1

Mitchells Garage on Derby Rd...seen here in 1949..retailers and repairers of Triumph cars .NTGM019128.jpgLooks like the mechanics are waiting for a bus home.

Tollhouse Hill 1949.68771-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgSome cracking motors!

Sure where those posters are..was Co-op delivery storage when walking to school.Co-Operative house has steel in place for the new section at the back.

An altogether brilliant image.

• Like 1

Reckon it's that Jag again, rear and of a Morris or Ford perhaps? The definition on my Kindle is not good enough to check!

• Like 1

Re..the first post ..the steps in pic 2 & 9.

I recall still being there in the late eighties..a couple of black old bollards at the top? anybody know what was there purpose ..where they lead to?

On 1/23/2019 at 4:12 PM, IAN123. said:

Derby Road Cafe became Roger Turners?...years later than this 1949 image.e6df9b0c63f201293f4c89d4326d6cb1.jpg

Would the shop two doors down from the cafe become the Militaria shop mentioned in another thread. The frontage & location seem about right.

Looked again at this pic above, I also remember the shop with what appears to have rounded windows on the right of pic..had pictures on the wall..old clocks,light fittings, doll's etc in the window. Shops were closed at the time but on my way from the Sal' to the Runner, they had those lovely 'walk in' frontages.

2 hours ago, HSR said:

Re..the first post ..the steps in pic 2 & 9.

I recall still being there in the late eighties..a couple of black old bollards at the top? anybody know what was there purpose ..where they lead to?

The stairs that is! Not the bollards..this form of communication is hard work!;)

3 hours ago, HSR said:

they had those lovely 'walk in' frontages.

Roughton's put wooden 'gates' across theirs when they were closed but one could walk right round the frontage of Baker & Plumb. Modern shops don't have the same facility.

The "Cafe" in the old photo is now a micro pub named 'Room with a Brew'. I've been in there several times in recent months.

bwUIOpz.jpg

• Like 1

Is that micropub your's Brew?

• Like 1

That would be good - a teetotaller running a pub

• Like 1

Sadly looks like the Militaria shop is closed..made it into the mobile phone website era so that's something. Don"t recall the frontage looking anything like that though .if the cafe was the Militaria shop it makes a little more sense, possibly moved or could be my memory! Just noticed.. Clement Pianos.

On 1/25/2019 at 1:50 AM, IAN123. said:

Tollhouse Hill 1949.68771-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgSome cracking motors!

Sure where those posters are..was Co-op delivery storage when walking to school.Co-Operative house has steel in place for the new section at the back.

An altogether brilliant image.

Apologies I don't know street names in this area, would Rock City later be built in the distance on the left? What's the potato waffle lookalike dominating the skyline?

l"m amazed, given the the depth of knowledge on this site, that people can't recall the steps in picture 2 first post..Maybe they were demolished in 1949 and I"m thinking of a different city?

I certainly don't remember Clement Pianos being there. In my day it was round the corner from the Albert Hall. Sheet music department was in the basement. I spent a lot of time in there.  Royal Academy of Music Grade examination books, theory books, you name it they stocked it. I still have virtually all the sheet music I bought from there over the years.

Lipman's, the bridal shop, must have been on Derby Road for years. When one of my Manning friends married in May 1979, my bridesmaid dress came from there. It closed shortly afterwards and became Top Hat Antiques. The husband of the lady who owned Lipman's was a Nottingham solicitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HSR said:

l"m amazed, given the the depth of knowledge on this site, that people can't recall the steps in picture 2 first post..Maybe they were demolished in 1949 and I"m thinking of a different city?

OK tell us where they are then, put us out of our misery or maybe some of us on NN are not old enough to remember.

5 hours ago, HSR said:

Apologies I don't know street names in this area, would Rock City later be built in the distance on the left? What's the potato waffle lookalike dominating the skyline?

This view is looking down Wollaton street from South end of Clarendon Street (on the left) towards the back of the co-op at bottom of Hanley street. Rock city is on Talbot street running parallel up on the left.

Square girder works is building the new premises at West end of the co-op.

• Like 1

The query regarding the photo showing the steps is interesting, I can't recall them and wonder if perhaps the locus is not the stretch of Derby Road from Chapel Bar to Canning Circus as I don't recall the shops and the gradient of the road appears to be too slight. The photo does give an address however and HSR remembers the steps, an enigma.

• Like 1

Those steps disappeared in the remodelling of Canning Circus. Look at the buildings here - they all fit...... it's the very top part of Derby Road - opposite the end of Ropewalk. Cigar factory is further down on the left.

CcAwLbj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2