• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Ben...they were flippin tasty.

It was a great bit of exercise..walking from the UB office to Town.

Past Les Newcombes and Churchill Skip Hire, Nice Cars and The Shoulder of Mutton, Moughals Cash n Carry then past Basford Gas Works. Clinton Pub and Picses Chip Shop.Shippos and the Bottling Plant- Roy Wharton,Robin Hood Printers and Wilkinsons St.Old General and Lenos Cinema...Browns Bakery and the Co op Minimarket. Garfinkels for bits and bobs and Heathcotes for film.Roses shoes and Playland.St.Pauls Church and Crofts Newsagents faced Morleys Bread.Manchester Direct for your nets and drapes...don't forget co op Scoop Shop for bargains.Fine Fare near Boots and Woolies.Patterson Rd.Cafe and Army Surplus for 58 webbing.

Smiths Pub and The Langham...Alberta Stores ,Staddons and The Big T Bar BQ.Alma inn and the Paper Bag Co..up to Machins and Johnathan James. The windmill near Skills and City Car Hire. Motorist Discount Centre and Gaggs Bike Shop. Halls for Locks and bargain fridges from Domestic Discount. Smeetons Monumentals and The Borlace Warren.Over to Ben Bowers and Roger Turners Climbing Shop.Oxfam leads to Focus Gallery.Baker and Plumb...Vikki Fashions near The Strathdon.Clements Pianos or The Toll Bar..and in you are!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I worked at the Employment Exchange in Basford from 1960 to 1966, in the days before it moved to David Lane. I used to catch the number 13 bus from Bilborough which I think only ran in peak times. Unlike the other Bilborough buses which went into town up Ilkeston Road, the 13 went up Alfreton Road so I would get off at Bentinck Road to catch a 43 or 44 to Basford. One lasting memory of my journeys to work is of Tuesday mornings which was the day Shipstones delivered beer to the Alma pub which was just across the road from the bus stop on Bentinck Road. The dray would be parked by the kerb and those beautiful matched grey Shire horses Shippos had would be standing waiting so patiently while the driver unloaded to barrels.

I remember once going to my doctor because I had really bad catarrh.He asked where I worked and when I said Basford he repkied "Oh well, if you will work in the smelliest place in Nottingham, what do you expect?" Between the gasworks and Shipstones Brewery it certainly WAS smelly!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Bilborough Girl said:

I worked at the Employment Exchange in Basford from 1960 to 1966, in the days before it moved to David Lane.

Am I right in thinking that was this place ?      https://goo.gl/maps/QQAGA1B2Qn52

It still had the lettering 'Employment Exchange' on the front for years after it stopped being that.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Am I right in thinking that was this place ?      https://goo.gl/maps/QQAGA1B2Qn52

It still had the lettering 'Employment Exchange' on the front for years after it stopped being that.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Took my Driving test there in 63,,      forgot all about it until now  ,,

Was that the place across the road from the Futurist and just off the ring road?  If it was, I took my test there too, Ben.  I guess we just missed each other.  Mine was late 62 early 63.  Can't remember the date.  Miserable old examiner there.  Failed me the first time round.  He asked me, "What did you see in your mirror as you turned that corner?"  Well, I didn't know, did I?  :biggrin:  "I"m afraid you are not up to the standard required."

• Like 1

Wonder if all driving tests were taken at Employment Exchanges?  I took mine at the Arnold one.  However, thinking about it, they also did driving tests at Chalfont Drive I think, but again it was a local Govt building. 

11 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Was that the place across the road from the Futurist and just off the ring road?  If it was, I took my test there too, Ben.  

Yes, that's the place.

On driving tests, I did mine at the dedicated test centre at West Bridgford, although it stopped being a test centre many years ago.

18 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, that's where I worked for 6 years - lovely to see it again, thank you. The building is still there then? What is it used for now?

The Driving Test Centre was in a tiny single story building at the back of us and the examiners used our "facilities" including our rest room so we knew them quite well. I can only remember two of them and I suspect that includes the one who someone here describes as miserable. He hardly ever spoke to anyone. The other one I remember had a daughter the same age as me who he was teaching to drive. He offered to teach me....and I declined as I was very nervous at the thought of driving. I must have been mad - imagine being taught for free by a driving examiner when you are about 18! As it was, I waited years before learning to drive and it cost a small fortune.

Is The Shoulder of Mutton pub still on the corner of Radford Road and Valley Road? I thought about it this week when I read about a pub in York that is changing its name from The Shoulder of Mutton so as to appeal to vegetarians and vegans.

• Upvote 1

Yes shoulder of mutton went in the early 80s,,  in the 60s there used to be a PDSA caravan in the car park two days per week,,

I think it still is Phil. I did my First Aid course there several years ago.

Yes, I believe it was Basford Wakes. Just before Goose Fair I think.

Basford Wakes was on ''Billy Bacons'' field in Basford town,, you would see it from upstairs on the Trolley bus,,,