12 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I used to see that when I caught the trolley into town from Mellish. That was when we went to the El Torreador coffee bar on Burton St. after school.

Used to go to the El Torreador after doing homework in the old Central Library.

3 hours ago, Bilborough Girl said:

Is The Shoulder of Mutton pub still on the corner of Radford Road and Valley Road? I thought about it this week when I read about a pub in York that is changing its name from The Shoulder of Mutton so as to appeal to vegetarians and vegans.

Moving along a bit on Streetview, this is what the Shoulder of Mutton looks like now.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ez7XpZNnie72

I think Basford Wakes was after Goose Fair finished. But small than G.F.  Might even have been cheaper as some folks chose BW to save money. I may be wrong, it has been known!

40 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Moving along a bit on Streetview, this is what the Shoulder of Mutton looks like now.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ez7XpZNnie72

That's VERY different to how I remember the area. Interesting to see that the shop between McDonalds and the houses on Valley Road is now a kitchen, bedroom and bathroom showroom. In my day it was a typical corner shop which I am sure was called Fergies. We used to buy the tea, coffee and biscuit supplies for the office there and also cream cakes when it was someone's birthday. This site is bringing back memories of so many things and places I haven't thought about in years...so thank you!

20 hours ago, katyjay said:

I think Basford Wakes was after Goose Fair finished. I may be wrong, it has been known!

Not wrong Katy, it did follow Goose Fair. I remember Dad taking us there quite a few times when I was little, stopping off on the 43 on the way to Gran's at Bulwell. We'd nip over a footbridge as I recall. Pretty small affair at Basford, the bulk of Goose Fair moved up to Hull for their fair the week after.

• Like 2

The travelling fair people must have had a superb communications network; what with no mobiles or internet. Bet they could have taught Cheltenham a thing or two about 'intelligence' and present day railways about logistics.

• Like 1

Ilkeston Fair was definitely a week or so after GF. A colleague of mine always took his kids rather than GF as he was a tight sod, and reckoned it was cheaper.

Ilkeston Fair tends to be two weeks after Goose Fair. When I lived in Eastwood we often used to go to Ilkeston rather than Goose Fair. Being set up in the market place and surrounding streets it had a more traditional feel to it, and it is, in fact, slightly older than Goose Fair by about 30 years. Also nice to be able to nip behind the stalls for a pint!