Anyone remember playing in the scrap yards? There used to be one on Rosetta road basford, we used to wait outside the gate and they would let us mess about in the cars, hilarious when you think how pc it is now everything’s dangerous we were all a lot tougher back then good or bad

• Like 2

Atlas Spares - Park Lane , Basford 

Smiths ( Old man Smithy )  Scrapyard , Church Street , Basford

Smiths Scrapyard ( Son of Old man Smithy  & Daughter ) Hucknall Lane , Bulwell 

Ponderosa , Moor Road , Bestwood Village

Piggy Harrisons , Moor Road , Bestwood Village

• 10 months later...

I recall often walking past Atlas Spares on Park Lane. (Assuming that was the name of the one on the right before you got down to Fords and Whiteley -Read)  I have an abiding memory of what we used to call a 'Shooting Brake' being squeezed into the tapered corner at the top end. And later, being devastated to see a Vincent Black Shadow just dumped in there.  What a crying shame.

My regular 'scrappy', was Henderson's in Boowul, opposite the Horse Shoe.  Early 60s it was about 6d a pound for wool, same for aluminium, or cast alloy.. bit more for copper and brass.

Some naughty boy's (not me of course) used to go round scrappy's & throw the part's they wanted over the fence to their waiting mate's & tell the bloke they couldn't find the right sort of part, or go back when they were shut to collect the part's they'd lobbed over. Mind you sometimes the stuff you'd (err, I mean them the naughty boy's as I was a good boy) thrown over wasn't there, someone else had nicked it, or the owner did a perimeter patrol & took back his stuff..  

No wonder folk fall out on here............you' have just made a mockery of the like'' system again...........why do it......?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 30 May 2019 at 10:05 AM, benjamin1945 said:

No wonder folk fall out on here............you' have just made a mockery of the like'' system again...........why do it......?

I don't know what you mean here - please explain.

• Like 1

I think this one is called Bradmores Scrapyard, it's in Newark behind the Aldi store,I took this picture from the pedestrian footbridge over the river Trent

Retford_trip_30.05_(1).jpg

Mainly scrap aluminium and a bit of ferrous

Rog

• Like 1