Boxing ancestors - Dexter

I'm trying to confirm that the Nottingham boxer Percy Dexter was the son of promoter Sam Dexter. If so, I think Sam was my grandfather's brother, and Percy my dad's cousin. There seems to be a Sheffield boxer of the same name. Dates around 1920 onwards. Thank you.

I would say it's more than likely that the Nott'm boxer Percy Dexter was the son of Samuel Henry Dexter (born c1874).

1901 Census living at 12 Nelson Terrace was Samuel Dexter , a fitter,  with his wife Catherine (nee Alvey) and sons Percy born c1900  and Cecil born c1897.

1911 Census living at 62 Northumberland Street are the above plus a daughter Florence Elsie  Mary Dexter born c1909.

Samuel is described as a cycle maker .

1939 living at 1 Princess Terrace , Northumberland Street is Samuel Dexter an unemployed fitter plus wife Catherine plus another son called Eric  a munitions inspector , born 1914.

The 1 Princess Terrace address is significant in that a Percy Dexter was said to have given boxing lessons at that address in the 1930s .

Also at that address Sam Dexter was said to be manager of the Victoria Boxing Club . 

So whilst none of the official census records mention boxing , circumstantially looks like the boxers father was Sam Dexter promoter .

• Like 1

Another boxing Dexter and cousin to Percy !

From the Evening Post 24TH NOVEMBER 1941

43021772432_14fbf54e12_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was a waste of time and effort .

12 days and no response from the O.P. and hasn't revisited since posting . 

Wonder why this happens ? 

They post late at night after a tipple and just forget that they had written anything ? Or maybe they can't find the  thread on the message board ?

Makes me wonder if before doing any research for a new poster ,  we should ask a supplementary question such as asking for extra dates of birth or death or marriage ,  just to see if there's a response .

Of course there may be a genuine reason why she hasn't responded , if so I apologise .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been gifted a singer treadle sewing machine which has no belt, I have looked on Ebay but nothing there that helps. Are they still available to buy ? or am I wasting my time, if its the latter fair enough as I have my old (1921) hand machine which I love. Also have one of the new machines which does everything but make tea, not my cup of tea.  Been out of box twice prefer the slower pace of times gone by.

27 minutes ago, Gem said:

I have been gifted a singer treadle sewing machine which has no belt, I have looked on Ebay but nothing there that helps. Are they still available to buy ? or am I wasting my time, if its the latter fair enough as I have my old (1921) hand machine which I love. Also have one of the new machines which does everything but make tea, not my cup of tea.  Been out of box twice prefer the slower pace of times gone by.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=singer+treadle+sewing+machine&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=singer+treadle+sewing+machine+belt&_sacat=0

• Like 1

Ha ha , apart from maybe "stitches" being the common denominator , I'm struggling to see what a Singer sewing machine has got to do with boxing ancestors ? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lol....keep struggling David because I have no idea either but the actual heading for this topic is ....Help Needed.    Thank you Enigma and Catfan I will follow instructions given it will either work or the mentioned machine will end up in the scrap van.

May I also say in my defence that when on Ebay I entered singer sewing machine spares and no belts appeared.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly the belts were made of leather and joined with a staple. Something like this looks about right:

https://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/stringing/leather-cord/thin/tan-round-leather-3mm-cord-5-metre-reel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5YPe9vnC3AIVDr7tCh3f_wssEAQYAiABEgLfE_D_BwE

Edit.

Found a better one, I think:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332596708456?chn=ps

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...