Let's not forget the Romans. Their villas had rooms attached to their dining rooms called vomitoria. Their use is pretty obvious from the name but, apparently from information I gleaned from the Roman villa at Fishbourne, Chichester (close to where I used to live many years ago), all the other secretory functions would also take place in there. There were no doors to the vomitoria, open for all to see (and smell).

29 minutes ago, jonab said:

all the other secretory functions would also take place in there. There were no doors to the vomitoria, open for all to see (and smell).

Sounds a bit like your average city centre on a Friday night! Times don't change so very much!

• Like 4

Quite true TBI, I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "Don't believe everything you see and hear on the telly"

Rog

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

When I worked in Nottingham years ago, as did my mother in those days, we would meet for lunch in the castle grounds where we'd sit and eat sandwiches with a flask of coffee by the bandstand. Seems like only yesterday!

That's when Nottingham folk could go for an alfresco lunch and a stroll without having to be ripped off to the tune of eight quid each! If it's shut down until 2020, the council are going to have find all that lost revenue from the ratepayers or motorists.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Quite true TBI, I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said "Don't believe everything you see and hear on the telly"

Rog

No, it couldn't have been the telly, Rog. Perhaps it was the radio.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Brew said:

Looking at the first picture it strikes me that modern architechts must lack imagination if all they can produce is a box shaped building.

I can understand that view Brew, but I don't think most architects enter the profession hoping to spend a career producing boxes, quite the contrary. The constraints to design come from the client brief, planners, building end-users, bean-counters etc. Architects will often have a quite a fight to get their visions adopted.

Not that it's a concern for Architects but the other thing to remember is the public are generally very conservative in their views and anything that is different invariably gets criticised. This is a concern for the client though. I remember the University buildings in Lenton, absolutely not boxes, being panned on here a while back. Fortunately there is amazing archictecture out there, but I agree, nothing like as much as there should be.

• Like 1

That’s perfectly true. I’ve been responsible for a few industrial structures and have used architects to convert my ideas into reality. My brief was to create a functional building at the right price. Consequently my works will not go down in history. Indeed they have since been demolished some time after we sold the company and houses now occupy the sites!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TBI said:

I remember the University buildings in Lenton, absolutely not boxes, being panned on here a while back. Fortunately there is amazing archictecture out there, but I agree, nothing like as much as there should be.

I agree, TBI, amazing architecture on the Jubilee campus. I'm still  impressed by it. If there's anywhere that can and should disseminate diverse new and provocative ideas (in all disciplines)  it's a university campus. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, TBI said:

That's when Nottingham folk could go for an alfresco lunch and a stroll without having to be ripped off to the tune of eight quid each! If it's shut down until 2020, the council are going to have find all that lost revenue from the ratepayers or motorists.

Are you saying it actually cost eight quid to go into the castle grounds before it closed? Wow! On a recent visit with a friend who was a first time visitor to Nottingham I was disappointed not to be able to take her to the castle because I wanted to show her the panoramic views from up there and the (as I remember them) beautiful grounds....but no way would that have been worth paying £16 for! When we caught a glimpse of the castle and I pointed it out to her, her immediate reaction was a disappointed sounding "Oh....." . She did say it wasn't what she had been expecting Nottingham Castle to look like. Well, no!

I have very happy childhood memories of visits to the castle with all the things others have mentioned....the views, the old coaches, the ice creams, Mortimer's Hole... and I often took my daughter there when she was little too.

• Like 1

Yes, the cost had risen to £8 for adults before the closure, which was for access to all parts of the Castle. I suppose that wasn't too bad. There wasn't a cheaper option just to use the gardens though. I remember when the Council first starting charging quite a few years back, it was about a fiver I think. If you lived in Notts you could get in free, proof of residence required. It then changed to free entry only if you lived within the City, then became chargeable for all.

Is it a big secret what they’re going to do with the Castle?  Other than the fact that it’s closed for a couple of years, I’ve no idea what will be there when it’s re-opened.   

Remember when entry was a Penny,,,mind you as 10 year olds we took it back out the 'wishing well'' only a boy want i,, even climbed up the rock once,,did'nt touch the wishing well...........lol