On Alfreton Rd at the bottom of Berridge Rd.

Spent many a decent night in there then at chucking out time move across the road to the Stork Club. Happy days !

Now closed the building is used as a mosque.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9641782,-1.1782138,3a,75y,30.27h,95.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9PgJv8sg8_jyV-7yDhoGCg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Note the sister's entrance around the side ! Equality doesn't exist in certain societies !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have never been in but Le Grand was my grandfather's favourite haunt. In the late 50s and early 60s, he would nip in there for a pint of Mitchell & Butler's or what his wife, my grandmother, called 'loony beer!'

I believe he sometimes met up with some of his comrades from The Great War in Le Grand and, because he had little capacity for alcohol, he came home in a morose and tetchy mood after possibly recalling the horrors of 1914/18, including witnessing his little brother being blown to pieces by a German shell. Grandad wasn't a heavy drinker. He couldn't afford it! However, my grandmother hated the change in his mood when he'd been in there with his old comrades and frequently said her dearest wish was to see it torn down!

Grandma passed on in 1947, ten years before I was born, but I was told frequently as a child of her hatred of Le Grand. She would probably rather it was a mosque!

Thinking about it, my grandfather would have known that place possibly since it opened, having lived in Bridlington Street, Berridge Road and Birkin Avenue before he moved to Bobbers Mill Road. At one point, just after the Great War, he and my grandmother lived in Hawksley Road which isn't very far away either.

• Like 2

Gosh that's a sad story. I remember it was one of mums favourite pubs, we lived in hyson green when I was born, her whole family did, later we moved to bilborough, but her heart never left hyson green, I remember all the streets you mentioned.

i know my grandad, my mums dad was invalided out of ww1, not sure about the details.

• Like 2

Violet Beardsall, mother of my childhood friend, Margaret Beardsall, was the cleaner at the Le Grand and Violet, husband Ken and their son, Peter, often spent an evening there. The Beardsall family lived just up the road from us.

Yes, Catfan. They lived at 178 Bobbers Mill Road. Ken passed on years ago but would now be in his 90s. I believe Violet, also in her 90s, is still with us. Peter sadly died young and Margaret would now be around 63. Violet came from Dorset and had a strong accent. 

19 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

Now an Islamic cultural centre

But it is a Mosque or the only cultural center to call local muslims to prayer at 5.30 am !

Taken from their own web site.

About Us

Masjid Umar is a 4 storey large mosque located in the heart of Radford in Nottingham at the junction of Alfreton Road and Gregory Boulevard.

My cousin lives 2 hundred yards away & from 5 am all he & his neighbours hear are cars parking up ready to drop their occupants off for morning prayers. Many complaints have been made to the council but to no avail.

In today's diverse multi racial / cultural non gender specific hand wringing tree hugging beam me up scotty society if anyone complains it's classed as a hate crime. I think I'll join Ben & Loppy along with FLY & ride off in to the sunset too.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There'd be some trouble if I still lived there and the mullah...or whatever he's called...woke me up at that time with a racket from the minaret!

Still love ya Jill when ya 'dampers up'.........used to Dance to the Minaret........:rolleyes:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, catfan said:

. I think I'll join Ben & Loppy along with FLY & ride off in to the sunset too.

Nice one catfan......so its the four Amigo's..........you a bit young though,,but we'll look after you,, and Sue would come looking for ya''........lol

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

There'd be some trouble if I still lived there and the mullah...or whatever he's called...woke me up at that time with a racket from the minaret!

I'd just play'em some hymns on the organ with the windows open and the pedal to the metal.  That ought to fix it.  If they complained I'd just bark at 'em.   :biggrin:

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, catfan said:

My cousin lives 2 hundred yards away & from 5 am all he & his neighbours hear are cars parking up ready to drop their occupants off for morning prayers. Many complaints have been made to the council but to no avail.

In today's diverse multi racial / cultural non gender specific hand wringing tree hugging beam me up scotty society if anyone complains it's classed as a hate crime. I think I'll join Ben & Loppy along with FLY & ride off in to the sunset too.

Tell him to play Jerusalem’ at high volume from a roof mounted speaker. Argue the toss when he’s served with an ASBO. It’s still England’s Green and Pleasant Land isn’t it? I hate everybody east of Calais on principle - when are they going to lock me up? :biggrin:

• Like 4

Bring me my sword of burning gold/ Bring me my arrows of desire/Bring me my shield, oh clouds unfold/Bring me my chariot of fire!/ I will not cease from mental flight/Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand/Til we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land.

We used to sing it regularly in morning assembly at The Manning and I love it still. Good old Hubert Parry!

• Like 5

Just love it Jill..............every morning all through infants,Juniors,and Padstow sec.mod...........don't think todays kids would know it..............

Still remember the school Pianist....Mrs Gernell,,

• Like 4