Big Brother is getting serious

At noon today MEPS will vote on article 13.

"This new law will require ALL Internet platforms to perform automatic filtering of ALL the content that their users upload, Article 13 takes an unprecedented step towards the transformation of the Internet from an open platform for sharing and innovation, into a tool for the automated surveillance and control of its users.”      (Express Newspapers)

This in my view is a huge change (instigated by ONLY 13 MEPs) but has a massive effect on potentialy billions of internet users - including Nottsalgia.

"The European Commission’s proposal of Article 13 would force internet companies that share and store user-generated content, such as video or photo-sharing platforms or even creative writing websites, to filter uploads to their services". 

Reading through it (briefly), it applies  to any and all copyrighted material so NS may be getting nasty letters from whoever hosts the site about pictures, videos and any written quotes etc where permission has not been obtained before posting.

We live in interesting times..

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yes Brew, I've been slightly worried about plagiarism and the usage of uncredited pictures for quite a while now. 

The railway photographers are particularly uppity about their pics being used. Many of the ones on here recently, I've seen previously in books and albums, and most if not all say 'No reproduction without the photographers permission'. Dangerous ground I reckon !

• Like 3

Don't be fooled, this is very little to do with copyright protection, there is a much more sinister agenda at work here but again, respecting our Forum agreement not to use this forum for political arguments, I say no more but you can easily find more info on the net and YouTube (at the moment at least) should you look a little further.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Yes Brew, I've been slightly worried about plagiarism and the usage of uncredited pictures for quite a while now. 

The railway photographers are particularly uppity about their pics being used. Many of the ones on here recently, I've seen previously in books and albums, and most if not all say 'No reproduction without the photographers permission'. Dangerous ground I reckon !

Then don't publish your pictures here there & everywhere ! Or watermark them even more !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know how to CF, and probably wouldn't if I could !

There was a very informative programme on BBC1 last night called. 'Smartphones. The dark side'.  It explained how the companies such as Twitter, FB, and various other nosey bu66ers aim to control our lives and manipulate us by the use is apps, and other glittery gizmos.

The more that is on our phones, the more they can bombard us with info to lure us further into the desperate need to have more, and release more personal information to them. There were a couple of former workers from such companies who had pangs of guilt over what they were ordered to invent, and finally resigned.

My phone is only used for calls, and texting. 

FB, a bleddy knocking shop .

• Like 2

An so there should be CF. many photographers in the 60's spent a fortune on equipment.

12 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

There was a very informative programme on BBC1 last night called. 'Smartphones. The dark side'.  It explained how the companies such as Twitter, FB, and various other nosey bu66ers aim to control our lives and manipulate us by the use is apps, and other glittery gizmos.

The more that is on our phones, the more they can bombard us with info to lure us further into the desperate need to have more, and release more personal information to them. There were a couple of former workers from such companies who had pangs of guilt over what they were ordered to invent, and finally resigned.

My phone is only used for calls, and texting. 

FB, a bleddy knocking shop .

That's why we should always have a disposable email address.

• Like 2

They won't let this issue drop.  I see from the link Jonab posted that they plan to return to this issue in September.  The whole copywrite issue is a minefield as far as I can see.  I posted a private video on YT for my family, of myself playing JS Bach's Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring.  I got a notice from YT that it could be copywrited.  J S Bach's music has been public domain for years.  There is a ton of it available on free music sites.  All perfectly legal.

Edited for spelling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, catfan said:

A perfect example for BREXIT then Brew !

It would still affect us CF, this site is hosted on a server in Frankfurt.

That's happening here too Commo.  Whoever doesn't win a vote will keep agitating and causing trouble until they can force another vote.

Whatever happened to.  OK  our side lost, Oh well there will be a chance for another vote in a year or two.  Lets try and get along for now.   Like a bunch of spoiled kids who just cannot understand the word NO.  I don't think this is political.  Just common sense.  It applies in a lot more than just politics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I was presented with a great pile of steam train photos when I left Plessey in 95 by the son of the late Cyril Beck, a noted local photographer from Beeston. Although not all of my favourite locos, I would never dream of giving any away, unless I got permission from his son, and then only to Book Law Publications. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Patrick McGoohan. Prisoner no.6. Filmed at Portmeirion. Drove a Lotus 7. (so did I once - well a Caterham!) Cult television series. We do have a Portmeirion Dinner  and tea service!  We get it from the factory shop in Stoke. The plates are so cheap we just throw them away rather than wash up! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully ! He's neither use nor ornament.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My dads favourite when talking to me was 'Don't Talk Wet'.

• 2 weeks later...