Big Brother is getting serious

It seems Parliament will debate (10th Sept) whether the 'Leave' campaign broke electoral law.

The full title of the debate is:

'Rescind Art.50 if Vote Leave has broken Electoral Laws regarding 2016 referendum'

Do any of them know what they're doing? The government seems to be a bit chaotic to me now days...

• 2 months later...

I was just thinking while watching the t v  Surely in the 21st century some brainwave could come up with a means of stopping a motor car in its tracks to avoid the horrendous carnage being caused by Police still playing cowboys and Indians chasing stolen cars The death toll on innocent pedestrians keeps going up drastically No matter how well trained the officers are there is a mathematical distance that any vehicle will take to come to a stop from a set speed  Then i saw on a program an electronic magnet being used to stop an Aeroplane engine admitted it was a bit heath Robinson but its a start surely some sort of electronic pulse gun could be manufactured that would disable a vehicles electronics There are rumours that the American forces already have such a tool We have the means of jamming satellite transmissions you wouldnt think it was impossible I am not aware of anyone working on such a tool that would be a god send to end all police chases  just a thought  meeowed

• Like 1

Whooooa, the police definitely don't play Cowboys & Indians. They're paid to do a very dangerous job in the face of appalling treatment by some of the public. They don't embark upon these chases for fun. The offenders aren't always joyriders, some are hardened criminals who will never give themselves up. 

I want criminals apprehended certainly, but the police very often abort a chase if it is deemed to be too dangerous .

A few years ago a friend of ours was driving out of Bristol Airport when the police activated one of those stinger things (think that’s what they’re called, the things that burst the car tyres)  unfortunately for our friend they got the wrong person ....... he’d done nothing wrong, an innocent victim!  Could only happen to him though :biggrin:

Well I hope he got a new set of tyres out of them !

There is such a device Meoo, it's called a Directed Energy Weapon but it needs an enormous amount of power and lot of development before it comes online somewhere in the late 2020's - it will only be for military use. It's supposed to stop missiles and light armoured vehicles.

Prototypes so far are using power in the order of megawatts, not something you stick can in the boot of your Panda car.

when you see that police give up chasing a scooter rider if he throws his helmet away over concerns for his safety  The same criteria doesnt seem to apply to the general public We saw just lately that five police vehicles were involved in a chase This just compounds the problem and ups the odds of it not ending well for other road users Modern technology seems to just produce more and more mindless games to play on a mobile phone when we are crying out for a means of stopping a vehicle remotely The fact that most cars today have a key code would seem a possible way to go They can even hack into childs toys on the news today But then again modern whizz kids returned to a Victorian tram I am sure Einstein would have rapidly worked out what would happen with metal wheels on a metal track meeowed

Sounds fine, as long as any system to remotely stop a suspect doesn't get into the hands of criminals, thereby enabling them to hijack expensive cars easily.

They seem to do that quite easily already I believe the police are doing their best but I dont see any techno help in the foreseeable future no one seems to be even working on it and my experience of the police over several decades does not inspire confidence that was before all the cuts Then we have the mikado type justice system resulting in a likely suspended sentence points and a ban on a licence they dont even have and off they go again meeowed

• 3 weeks later...

One of mine has gone too, but I'm not going to get uptight or upset about it. The rules are NO POLITICS, but if people insist on making insidious remarks, then I'll reply, and take the consequences. 

Just how many more times do Admin / Mods have to bring it to folks attention before it sinks in ? 

Honey Trap actually, and  I'm certainly lost on that one, unless there's something I've overlooked.

Have your posts been removed or just caught up in the problems we are experiencing with the site's updated software???

I've not noticed any of the mods/Admins stating they have removed any posts for any reasons for a while. My guess is you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

There has been yet another police chase around ng7 11 vehicles hit and the police car rammed  Thats 11 car owners losing their no claim through no fault of their own just being parked outside their home  I have had the last two cars of mine hit before and no one caught just given an incident number and told claim of your insurance it just seems crazy to run these chases through residential areas you would think with all the numerous cameras everywhere today a vehicle could be tracked but all we get is has anybody seen anything  meeowed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I voted for Caroline Henry. I think that at 72 Tipping was past his prime for the job. I'm not really sure why we need a commissioner but I agreed with her about not moving the Newark nick to the outside of the town. Let's hope she brings some fresh ideas to Notts policing.

• Like 2

Just another layer of bureaucracy, perhaps they should make Chief constables electable instead...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

Conservative Caroline Henry gets the gig as Nottinghamshire’s Police & Crime Commissioner.

Thank goodness for that, my vote counted on this one.  Pity we didn’t have council elections in the City too.   
I don’t know why we need a Police & Crime Commissioner either, why can’t the Chief Superintendent do that work?  

• Like 3