In Inverness the other day I spotted this gravestone in the High Church graveyard. Three sons were lost during WWI, one "Drowned" on HMS Ocean Prince in September 1916. I have been trying to find out something about this incident but there seems to be no reference to a ship of that name. Can anyone advise where I might find some gen?

28425614847_9885fb80d8_c.jpg

I have now checked the shipwreck list for that month but there is no ship of that name on the list. Maybe the daft bogger just fell overboard?! :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Compo said:

In Inverness the other day I spotted this gravestone in the High Church graveyard. Three sons were lost during WWI, one "Drowned" on HMS Ocean Prince in September 1916. I have been trying to find out something about this incident 

1901 Census , I think this appears to be the family living at India Street , Inverness . 

43308153541_3fe756d094_b.jpg

Using that Census address ,It looks as though the ship didn't sink but for some unknown reason William Robertson fell in the river . Dundee Courier 08/09/1916 .

The same reports appear in other newspapers but none actually say he fell off a ship . He had joined the ship as a cook .

43308152251_3ab59fd318_b.jpg

• Like 2

There you go Compo, compliments of the Nottsalgia Detective Agency... well done DavidW.

• Like 1

Thanks for the gen, gang - brilliant!  Elsewhere it was suggested that it may have been HMS Ocean, the successor to a Prince class ship of the same name.  HMS Ocean was sunk by a mine in the Dardanelles (No rude jokes, please!)  but this sounds much more likely.  Well done.

• Like 1

You then wonder how he ended up in the river !

Was the letter he was carrying addressed to his father from him , ready to post .

Or was it to him ,  from perhaps a girlfriend ,? Something in it may have upset him and he jumped in the river .

On the other hand maybe he had just had a few too many drams before returning to the seamans mission and accidently fell in !

• Like 1

A bit more info. It seems he never sailed in the Ocean Prince. He arrived in Aberdeen from Inverness to join the ship as a cook on the 26th August and drowned 12 days later on the 7th September.

Aberdeen Press and Journal - Saturday 09 September 1916

• Like 2