• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Social media - if used sensibly - is good, because it does what the name says by being the medium through which people can remain in touch with each other.... like Nottstalgia really

Qz, you have limited understanding of the issues. I suspect that statement applies to most  of the UK population.   In discussions among friends and colleagues It appears most formed their d

keyboard warriors  who think they own social media and post random stuff just for the sake of it 

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

All miserable gits who see no good in anything or anybody and are always complaining should be gagged and sent on a corrective course.

Long with all the goody goody two shoes snowflakes who sit back & don't complain until things really get bad & affect them !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ugh ! Social Media, the scourge of modern times. Sad,sad, sad ! compusmash

• Upvote 1

Social media - if used sensibly - is good, because it does what the name says by being the medium through which people can remain in touch with each other.... like Nottstalgia really

• Like 5
On 7/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

That politicians should on the pain of instant dismissal always honestly and truthfully obey the result of a referendum and not try to fudge to suit themselves and the luvie,s who don't agree with the majority.

I would fully agree with that so long as:

-The Referendum was  clearly constituted as legally binding rather than advisory.

- Politicians who tell blatant lies to influence the outcome of a referendum and who also break election spending rules in order to gain a campaigning advantage  are barred from participating in the mandatory re-running of the referendum and fined or imprisoned for fraud and misrepresentation as appropriate.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/brexit-nhs-dividend-myth-office-for-budgetary-responsibility-eu-referendum-uk-statistics-authority-a8451751

https://www.ft.com/content/a8b848ce-8987-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340

- That the method of implementing the outcome ( either Yes, or No ) is clearly defined before the referendum is held.

I would make it illegal to insist that opinion 'trumps' fact.

I would also introduce the 'Snowflake's Charter'

Just signed this.  Electoral Law is Electoral Law and nobody, including Vote Leave is above the Law.

https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/48062998/signed?token=NXeSOUKw64UgzAso6EeO

Likewise, Remainers should abide by the result and leave it at that !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Need to regard our voluntary agreement not to indulge in political argument, regardless of how important the subject is, otherwise it could so easily all "kick off"!

Good job that Benton is no longer around !!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Commo said:

Need to regard our voluntary agreement not to indulge in political argument, regardless of how important the subject is, otherwise it could so easily all "kick off"!

Good job that Benton is no longer around !!

I understand your point Commo. But I for one am not arguing.  I'm discussing and I'm making points.  Nobody will get any hassle from me for disagreeing.  I'm just constantly frustrated that this is the only site out of several which I visit daily, where it seems some people cannot discuss politics in a mature way without getting into a slanging match or batting the man, rather than the ball, and where some people want to make statements of a political nature without challenge.

This thread is about Laws.  We are being taken down a certain political path as a result of a referendum which was won by people who are proven to have broken Laws. They lied. (Brexit Dividend) and have been proven to have broken election funding rules.  Therefore I believe that the referendum should be re-run. I will abide by the result of any properly conducted referendum. 

I would however also point out that the UK electorate is allowed to change it's mind.  We do not elect a Govt and then have to keep it forever lest we offend the sensibilities of a few of its supporters. That way lies dictatorship..

I seem to recall that we all managed to have a polite discussion recently in the 'Things That Pee You Off' thread. We can do it.

• Like 3

Unfortunately we will argue from opposite stand points, and in view of the problems which I and my family are having to cope with at the present I may not be in a position to be totally polite regarding your views or perhaps even cogent so will say no more on the matter.

• Upvote 1

“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature made them.”

― Bertrand Russell, New Hopes for a Changing World

• Like 2
9 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

So the remoaners never broke the law or lied I didn't realise how perfect they all are. Both sides put their own spin on the facts as they presented them it what politicians do.

I think you've proved my point Colin. This is exactly what I find so sad about this site.  Do you not see this?

It was you who introduced the subject of the Referendum to this thread.  I merely responded.  It was you who used derogatory terms such as 'luvvies' and 'remoaners'.  I have not used any of the equally derogative terms which could be applied to the 'leave' camp.

The 'Leave' campaign have been proven to have lied about the so-called 'Brexit Dividend'.  We could probably allow that as 'spin', but deliberately breaking the election funding rules is not spin....  It is Electoral Fraud and it ought, in my view, to negate the referendum result. 

The 'Remain' campaign have not been accused of law breaking.. much less proven to have done so, so your argument falls.

You are of course entitled to your view on  Leave/Remain.. but you do your argument no favours by abusing those who disagree with you.

Col

We live in a 'Representative Democracy'.

This means that we elect Politicians to represent our views to Parliament and ultimately to Government. 

This  ^^^^  is how it works...

If we do not like the Politicians who we elect to represent our views to Parliament and ultmately to Government.. there is nothing preventing us from standing for election ourselves.....  Feel free..

As the old saying goes.. 'If you think you can do better...'

Those of us who have done so..  That would be me...  and....  ????  .. know how hard it is to keep faith with our own views and those who elect us.

Try it...

Or maybe think twice before criticising.

'We could probably allow that as spin' ... really?

It has always irked me that the general public are so willing to accept 'spin' as legitimate way to win an argument. Lets called it what it is - deceit, a deliberate act of out of context, misinformation and twisted facts propaganda designed purely to hoodwink us.

Both sides of the Brexit farrago have been, to put it politely, disingenuous and economical with the truth.  Cols point that only one side, so far, have been shown to break the law does need to be answered. I don't think the situation will go away any time soon. I'm sure every last utterance by both sides is being examined in the minutest detail for more mud slinging.

• Like 2