IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

4 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

^^^^ Milton Street. That got me, Ian. I didn't even get a 'memory nudge' instinct on that one. Don't know.

I can remember that car it was a pale Duckegg Blue and from a dodgy (very) memory it sound air cooled. I seem to think it was French, I'm tempted to say Panhard but it's not. If any were to say I'm wrong I wouldn't argue, the only thing I'm sure of is seeing it around Nottingham (quite a few times so it was probably a local car) and the colour.

Got me foxed!..looks a right hand drive..searched Mr.Google- nothing.

It is not the first time that strange car has been discussed. There was definitely a very long and interesting topic in the photo some time ago on here. The result was inconclusive despite several near misses. Probably a kit car or home made job was the final conclusion, IIRC

Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, 1965.gettyimages-630838484-612x612.jpgtwo nice Jags Roger.

• Like 2

In 1974 this Brough Superior was transported to the ROF, for restoration by the apprentices.  I gather it was also worked on by Stag Furniture, then was stored for a number of years and now resides in the Industrial Museum at Wollaton Park - or did when I visited a few years ago.

174_0600_01%20Brough.jpg

174_0600_03%20Brough.jpg

Picture taken by H Tempest Ltd - and in a strange twist, Horace Tempest owned a Brough Superior in the early 1950's, registration BAU 555.  I have a family photograph of us in the car as dad obviously drove it now and again.   Most have heard of Nottingham built Brough Superior motorbikes but very few seem to know that they also manufactured a few cars.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Trent Bridge Cricket Ground,

I shall be watching England vs Pakistan tonight from Nottingham's glorious Trent Bridge Ground.

A good win against South Africa in the first match. Good to see the fans give the sandpaper duo a serve in their match against Afghanistan.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Been working there today, great atmosphere.

My brother started his apprenticeship at Brough Superior & then went to work at ROF where he finished his apprenticeship.

• Like 2

My youngest brother also did his apprenticeship at ROF, but sadly, got hit quite hard with arthritis when young and wasn't able to take up engineering as a career. 

From a Mallory Park race  programme  1962.  How many of you used to press your noses against the window on a Saturday but were to scared to go in?

I know the pic is Brands Hatch, not Mallory...  They used to produce the Gemini Formula Juniors - there are at least three in NZ including two still with the chequered flag nose band.

162_0423_99%20Chequered%20Flag.jpg

• Like 1

when i was little I can remember one of the Birkin family come to the factory on Gladstone street in a bright red Cord sports car with big flexible chrome exhaust pipes it looked brilliant meeowed

I've never actually seen one but as a kid something about it's pugnacious looks always attracted me.

I've always liked them as well. Cords are definitely something you wouldn't argue with. 

mPdsMHJ.jpg

And they aren't cheap now. At a Sotheby's auction a few years ago, this went for £300,000 +

When I started work at hollbrooks garage on woollaton street we had a french Delahaye in I think it belonged to Howitts the printers it was a straight six triple carb and cable brakes All the front end was one piece you couldnt see any joins Big drop tank wings it had  a forward or reverse stick on the floor and a electric shift on the steering column similar to the buses The mechanic that taught me had the gearbox out called a cotal gearbox it looked like a bomb and was just as heavy it was a convertable really great car but the brakes left a bit to be desired I also saw a Riley Healey lovely streamlined motor and a gigantic Alfa Romeo open top sports car it had twin spare wheels it sounded like a spitfire coming up from town meeowed

Some motors seen recently in Armenia and Georgia - a couple of lorries and British buses included too, for completeness

cArm-010.jpg

cArm-074.jpg

cArm-075.jpg

cArm-087.jpg

cArm-191.jpg

cArm-192.jpg

cArm-329.jpg

cArm-371.jpg

cArm-548.jpg

cGeo-235.jpg

cGeo-415.jpg

cGeo-481.jpg

cGeo-552.jpg

cGeo-565.jpg

• Like 1

That strange looking car referred to earlier may well be a VW based kit car.   Not sure if the UK TV has a US show called 'American Pickers',  but they came across one that looked very much like it , but I didn't write down the name, as it was on late at night and was on the bedroom TV , but from memory, it was a double barrelled name.

There was an American car with a vaguely similar  front end. The 'De Soto' but it wasn't one of those it was much smaller.

5 hours ago, Socram said:

That strange looking car referred to earlier may well be a VW based kit car.   Not sure if the UK TV has a US show called 'American Pickers',  but they came across one that looked very much like it , but I didn't write down the name, as it was on late at night and was on the bedroom TV , but from memory, it was a double barrelled name.

Yes, American Pickers can be seen on various channels here although I've never watched one. I've just had a look and seen that a lot are on Youtube, so if you have several spare hours, you could trawl through and identify the specific episode :rolleyes:

One from my late dad's collection.  Corner of Mansfield Rd/Woodborough Road with the old church in the background.  I'm guessing about 1938? Reminds me of what I left behind weather-wise when I moved to NZ... 

138_0000%20Nottingham.jpg

• Like 1

That lorry was getting on a bit in 1938 going by the registration. Will need to work that one out.

The white rings on the tree and white edges to the front mudguards on the lorry suggest wartime.