IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

Dad was a photographer with the Guardian or Evening News pre-war and I suspect this might have been an 'official' photograph, rather than a passing snapshot. Interesting comments above, as the white stripes were indeed a wartime requirement - and Dad got a summons for not having the bottom 9" of the mudguard on his pushbike painted white.  Fined I think, 2/6.  And we think some of today's cops can be a bit petty at times.  

• Upvote 1

Not petty enough I'm afraid, as the amount of cars around with no front number plates is getting ridiculous. 

What annoys me is car dealerships who use numberplate holders to advertise themselves in large letters. On my recent car it was impossible to remove their name with paint stripper so I had to fit new plate holders. I've had similar problems in the past with removing their paint transfers from the rear window. A few years ago my wife was presented with her new car with the dealership name emblazoned over the spare wheel cover. She refused to take it until it was replaced with a plain one. Neither will I wear clothes with visible manufacturer's names or logos. Sadly, with cars it's virtually impossible to remove all traces of a maker's name. Perhaps if it was a Rolls you wouldn't want to!

• Upvote 1

A dumb example of that. Back in the 1980s I had a Vauxhall Cavalier from Valley Road Garage (the one opposite the Futurist).

The sticker they put in the rear window said something like "We looked everywhere for our next car...and we found it at Valley Road Garage". They assumed all their customers were married. For anyone single, that sticker had to come out pretty quick.

(And that Cavalier was a revelation. At the time, the best car I'd ever owned and streets ahead of the Ford/Leyland competition).

• Upvote 1

I purchased a car from a D*rby dealership I asked for the plates to be replace with plain plates, I'm not having D*rby on it, which they obliged?  

• Upvote 1

Oh the shame of it! My plates still say ‘Derby’ on them but that’s only in very small lettering. If only the Nottingham dealer had been a bit sharper they would have got my business!

• Upvote 1

Lookers were buggers for sticking metal letters to the boot lids of their cars. I wouldn't buy one  on principle, and anyway, they were Jap !

It's never bothered me. Mine currently says Inchcape Toyota but I don't mind at all! Would definitely replace if it said Derby mind. 

• Like 1

When I bought my first Peugeot from Willoughby's, the plates read Pugeot. Prats !

I bought a pickup truck for the factory from Nottingham Volkswagen and it had different number plates on the front and rear! :biggrin:

This happen to a Police car too, different plates, it took them a year to notice. They only noticed when they needed a spare key for the vehicle.

5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

What annoys me is car dealerships who use numberplate holders to advertise themselves

My last car went for an MOT prior to me selling it and failed on the number plate, the spacing was out. On that model the plates sit in a carriers and simply clip in and out. With out saying a word to me they took the plates and carriers off, stowed them in the boot and fixed new plates to the car with self tapping screws.

Why remove the carriers? because the new 'legal' plates wouldn't fit due to a drop section that carried their advertising.

After a (quite loud), hissy fit they refitted the carriers and  cut the plates to fit - and reduced the bill as compensation for drilling holes in the car.

• Upvote 1

Good on yer Brew..... It's always good to have a rant !