IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

The 1500 is a Wolseley, the Riley had the name badge incorporated into the top of the radiator grille, the Wolseley had its white badge seperately within the radiator. You might remember the badge also lit up.

The mystery car, as Ian suggested a Gazelle, I think it is a Rootes, that or Sunbeam Rapier..

• Like 1

Nice motor Oz..the radiator is bugging me..also in my choice of ideas...which under scrutiny looks dodgy..the small grilles under the headlamps aren't on the B&W photo?

I'm sure it's a Rootes Ian, and almost certainly a Rapier, I think it always had the flatter middle part of the radiator whereas the Gazelle initially had a taller one. If you look at the BW pic, you will notice just to the right the small black bit which is the edge of the side grill, partly obscured by the spot/foglight.

• Like 2

Thanks TBI...i didn't cop that.

I wonder in 40 years time will blokes be spotting Hyundais and Kias?

27 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks TBI...i didn't cop that.

I wonder in 40 years time will blokes be spotting Hyundais and Kias?

Then, it will be impossible - they all look the same !!

• Like 1

Pretty standard..as cars go..but the scarcity of images of Bluecoat St..is my reason for posting.62439.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThere were two sets of pumps on Bluecoat St...the first most likely from when it was Trumans..another set of Pumps belonged to National Garage opposite The Newcastle Arms.The Basketball nets from the school are aloft.St.Johns Ambulance had a depot across the road..and the old Gas Board Building still looks grim. This is 1970 and Leadleys and Mitsubishi were elsewhere.

VW Variant? Viva, 1300,Herald and a Victor.

Nice to see the cobbled setts down.

• Like 1

Barker Gate here, 1963.62416.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgSomeone storing Vauxhall Supers here? Ford Classic,Rover P5,Vauxhall Cresta,..nice Jag.

Is the pub pre- Berni Inn?

• Like 2

Don't know the model name..but the Cresta next to the Herald on the far right..had a growl bigger than a Super Snipe when pulling off.

Those Mk10 Jags and the Humber Super Snipes had a 'road presence' that has never been equalled by a modern mass produced car.

• Like 1

Ian, the photo you posted on 20th July is very interesting. The Riley looks like a version of the Morris/Austin 1100. There was also a Wolseley version. My dad had a Wolseley 1300 in 1973. I loved it! It was Crypton tuned and I used to enjoy beating other larger cars when the lights turned green. A young woman driving a small car: I took the blokes by surprise! Happy memories.

Radford baths in the background is an attractive building. I never noticed this before because I hated that place! These are bad memories of primary school swimming lessons. The instructor just shouted at us! Every Tuesday I used to hope that the bus would break down so we could not go. I was saved by verrucas! My mum did not let the school know when they were gone. I escaped and was taught to swim by an excellent instructor many years later.

• Like 2

Smashing post Shirley,those little 1100's were nippy. A yellow version with a vinyl roof and black stripe was made.My late Father had one of these...beat most cars pulling off from the lights.981eac9d5e855591a9dc84340d3950bb.jpg

• Like 2

My first 'new' company car was an 1100. Reg AOF 90B. I got it after writing off on A40 Farina. Unfortunately, a few weeks later I nearly wrote the 1100 off too :rolleyes: Descending down hill from Melton in the rain an approaching car overtook a wagon causing me to swerve and spin. Crashed backwards into the end of the railway bridge. Rear end bent into wheel. Being front wheel drive I was able to drive it back up the hill to a farm, dragging a rear wheel. Farmers wife kindly let me use the phone to call out the AA. Brilliant car in it's day.

• Like 1

When I was 16 my dad bought a white Morris 1100 with a red interior. I loved it. When I was old enough to learn to drive the L plates went on and I went with my parents to Scotland on holiday. I did most of the driving. So exciting! Passing place roads, steep hills and getting instruction on how to drive if the fuel is getting low and you are in the middle of nowhere! Good training for a learner. When dad got his new Wolseley 1300 I needed a car to get to work so I had the Morris 1100 from him. Sadly the rusting started, even though we did our best to take care of him. A hole developed in the floor pan at the back and sadly he had to go. I am not easily moved to tears but this was the loss of my first motor. An Austin Allegro replaced him but this car was not nearly as good. I have a photo in the dining room of my 1100 and  my dad with his Wolseley 1300. Happy memories. If someone asks me if I have a pet I say yes, I drive it! Now it is my Volvo!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

gI had a Mk10 Jag, it used petrol like there was no tomorrow. It had two fuel tanks, one each side in the rear wings and I swear when giving it beans on the motorway I could see the fuel gauge move.

My daughter came to visit today. she has given up her company Audi A6...………. Now she's using a 1972 Austin 1100!  I think she's flipped her lid but she loves it, oh well, what can you do...

She pays a lot less tax by having the company hire a car if she needs one for business she said.

Then she drops the bombshell. " what I'm saving in tax dad, I've use to buy a motorbike!" a Suzuki and not a small one, a 1300cc monster!

I had a friend who owned a Mk10 Jag. He used to park it just anywhere he wanted in the city. When asked about all the parking tickets he received he replied that it was cheaper to pay the fines than the cost of petrol driving around looking for a parking space.

• Like 1

First car I ever bought was a Mk10 Jaguar 3.8 (730 AWF) - at 4 gallon for a quid, it never entered your head how much fuel the car burned - used it to go to Edinburgh and back  every two weeks for a year whilst I was at college there. !!

On 8/16/2018 at 9:36 PM, IAN123. said:

Don't know the model name..but the Cresta next to the Herald on the far right..had a growl bigger than a Super Snipe when pulling off.

That would be the Cresta/Velox PB. Introduced in 1962 its design imo was much crisper and unified than the preceding flamboyant tailfinned PA.

The PB had a 2.6L inline 6 which the following year was upgraded to 3.3L. Transmission options were, in the parlance of the day, 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor or a 3 speed (and later, 2 speed) slush box. All with bench seats of course. And it was slightly bigger than the Zodiac.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Willow..sorry for not replying sooner..3.3L..no wonder it growled!

Lowering the topic of conversation with this.62358.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg co-op at Wollaton?...3 of the most heavily criticised cars..Acclaim, Allegro and the Avenger.

PS: looks like the shopkeepers got taste..xj6?

2 hours ago, notty ash said:

LHD Opel behind the Renault? That would be quite rare

My first car was a LHD Opel Olympia Rekord.  Pretty much identical to this...

1959-olympia-rekord-1.jpg

• Like 2