IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

Got it around 1968/9 I think.  Second hand obviously.  It was imported by a British 'Squaddie' I think.  Paid £80 ish for it.  Same colour as the one piictured.  It had 3 speed column change and was geared down (at the diff I think) for caravan towing., so wasn't fast.  Had a towbar etc fitted.  It had a floorswitch for headlight dipping.  Also a wind up clock in the door of the glove box.  It developed some sort of oil feed problem which I didn't have the resources to diagnose or fix and eventually it seized up.  Last seen in a scrapyard on the outskirts of High Wycombe.  :( 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notty ash said:

LHD Opel behind the Renault? That would be quite rare

I'm not up on Opels, what model would that be? I can't determine if the steering wheel is on the left, have to say it looks like a later Victor F to me.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:20 AM, IAN123. said:

Smashing post Shirley,those little 1100's were nippy. A yellow version with a vinyl roof and black stripe was made.My late Father had one of these...beat most cars pulling off from the lights.981eac9d5e855591a9dc84340d3950bb.jpg

The bloke that owned Shakespeare St Service station used to run round in one of those, same colour and all. I think he was called Frank Wright and also had a club in town. Not the sort of wheels you'd expect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TBI said:

I'm not up on Opels, what model would that be? I can't determine if the steering wheel is on the left, have to say it looks like a later Victor F to me.

I'm guessing its an Opel Kapitan, which had similar styling cues to Vauxhalls. Definitely not a Vauxhall though. Wrong proportions etc.

Yep, being owned by GM, the Opels often 'mirrored' the Vauxhall models.  I remember getting a lift once along the A52 from Derby in an Opel Rekord that was a lot later than the one I had. Pretty snazzy beast.

• Like 1

I remember once, in the 70’s, being driven from Worms, Germany, to Zurich in an Opel Diplomat. That was top of the Opel range and was very American in design. I don’t think that model ever made it to the U.K. and I doubt few would have bought it in preference to Mercedes. The chap driving us really wanted a Jaguar!

They don't really sell Vauxhall here..they pander to the Germans too much..had two Opel Astras that went west...my mechanic spends at least 3 days a week fixing Insignia springs that have failed.

Last week he was given a 1972 Rover 2000..hadn't been run for 19 years...after some fluids and tinkering...fired up.

• Like 1

1965, on Crocus Street.66918.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAmongst the Rover, Vanguard, Somerset etc.. what is the 3 wheeler ...bottom right next to the Standard?

Maybe  a Bond Minicar,  but it's going nowhere until those two Anglias have shifted!

• Like 1

Looks like a Bond, I think they had a kick start Villiers two stroke engine, a bloke on Bosworth road hed one in the mid sixties I sometimes worked on

Rog

• Like 1

It's a Bond and he will probably have to push it - early ones had no reverse gear.

I am not sure if they ever had reverse gear as standard, it was an optional extra on later models.

On some models they had a way of stopping the engine and restarting it to run backwards thus giving reverse gears.

We had a small car in Oz called the Lightburn Zeta with a similar system

This Bond is a little beauty

Bond Minicars.jpg

• Like 1

For those earlier Bonds with no reverse gear there was an accessory available consisting of a lever with a hexagonal socket fixed to one end via a ratchet. To effect a reversing manoeuvre the driver leaned out of the window and  slipped the socket over a rear wheel hub hexagon with the lever pointing forwards. From a seated position the driver cranked the free end of the lever up and down, the vehicle proceeding rearwards in a series of fits and jerks until the desired manoeuvre was completed. It was essential at this point that the accessory was removed and stowed inside the car before proceeding forwards.

We take so much for granted nahdays don't we? We don't know we've been born.

• Like 2

Change of direction here..not strictly Nottm..but these 1960's magazine adverts may get us posting..ladies too!1966-british-advertisement-for-the-austi1966 A110- did they have overdrive?

Den drove for Fon a Car..there was a bearded driver who had a grey version of this..souped up.When his Cortina was in dry dock he drove this.Nearly a ton along Hucknall Rd !1960s-vintage-magazine-advertisement-adv

Wasn't the 4ltr a Vanden Plas?

• Like 1