IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

Was his Dad 'India' Den?..mk3 Cortinas anyway.

Because i was Nightclub Staff..it was on account and i signed the chit.

Dead money on a Saturday night..this thing stuck to the ground like glue!

More dials on the dash than a bleddy Lancaster.

His call sign was 'Able' i think.. going back to 1980-1981.

just out of interest the reverse set up on a bond was called a siba dynastart it had  a switching arrangment with which you could start the engine backward and four rverse gears ensued it was lethal above about two miles an hour ,the early ones you had to open the bonnet with a carraige key and kick start the things ,very amusing for onlookers if you stalled at the lights.

• Like 3

I was on Fon a car in 1978 my call sign was Baker, Joe worked on the board ( radio ) and used to have people drive for him, his call sign was Dog,. He lived on Heatherley dr at Heathfield. Can't recall India or Able. There were supposedly 200 cars.

This area of Faraday Rd.was used in the opening credits of Saturday Night, Sunday Morning.61787.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgI bags the Husky.

A drizzly High St.63721.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgVery tidy Austin and i wonder if that Rover belongs to our friend on Trinity Square?i don't recognise the black vehicle with running boards.

Maybe a Rover 14? Pork Farms were on the corner, Gauntleys window behind the Austin. 

Nice to see another rainy photo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Ian,  I think that might be our Triumph Dolomite again

LOL, no not our Dolomite. As Commo suggests, it does look like one of the later Rover 14s.

• Like 1

The Dolomite had two handles on the boot so not one of those then....

12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

A drizzly High St.63721.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgVery tidy Austin and i wonder if that Rover belongs to our friend on Trinity Square?i don't recognise the black vehicle with running boards.

The Rover P4 is not John Herberts unless he had an earlier one that the one of his that I have . The one pictured is 1957 at the latest. The unidentified car is a Rover 12/14/16 pre 1949 possibly pre-war.

• Like 2

My knowledge on these is very limited but the rear window of the old Rover looks like the larger one, wouldn't that make it later '40s?

• Like 1

I found a load of photos from 1949..lots of 'black cars with big lights'..in them..gets us chatting..i love the banter..i go on the net and look at the cars mentioned..some beauties out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TBI said:

My knowledge on these is very limited but the rear window of the old Rover looks like the larger one, wouldn't that make it later '40s?

It is not a '48 or '49 Rover P3 as I see that it has spring bumpers rather than the later ones which were pressed steel.

• Like 1

When we were teens there were no such things as classics, just ten a penny bangers, and we used to buy them for nowt, run them for a month or so then scrap it and get something else. Over a couple of years we had Jaguar 3.5 saloon, Rover 14, ( that had an early type of overdrive called "Freewheel ),Armstrong Siddeley saloon, 1936 Riley shooting brake( never got that on the road), Ford V8 Pilot, (that went like stink)

1937 Ford 8 (kept that for a while), Morris 8 van and a Ford Pop. Just think, if we had had a barn to store them all we would be sitting on a fortune now!

• Like 1

That 3.5 sounds very nice!

You could see half a street on a Saturday afternoon of blokes tinkering with cars..i remember ferrying tea out to me Dad...in between Colin Slater and Fluff Freeman.