IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

3 Notts jag pics.

The middle picture, unless it was an Arfur Daley badly done crash repair, typified what killed the British car industry, poor build quality. How a car like that could pass final inspection is beyond me, you don't need any sophisticated equipment to see that it is not right, just a pair of eyes.

Just look at the woeful panel fit, the gaps between panels should be even, not wider  at the top than the bottom or vice versa.

The rear door has been hung to get the style crease across the door to look right but near the quarter light it is miles too high and has an excessive gap between the two doors.

You're right Oztalgian it does look shoddy on closer scrutiny. Space and pace perhaps but not much grace on this one.

The top picture looks like an Alvis to me.

• Upvote 1

Definitely not a Jag !

3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

The top picture looks like an Alvis to me.

The radiator looks classic Alvis but for the year it does not seem to have the Eagle emblem so I'm not too sure.

It's certainly an Alvis, must be a TA 21, so early '50s. I could be wrong but I don't think the eagle mascot was standard by then. I'm puzzled a bit by the reg number though. STO a Nottingham number but I would have thought that would have been issued a fair bit earlier. Perhaps one of the number experts will know?

• Like 1

It is a TA 21 (1950/53). Not all them had the eagle mascot.

Rear of Severns on Middle Pavement55114-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg.three 1100's?..a Herald..super..that a Spit or a Marcos?

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

that a Spit or a Marcos?

I would say a spitfire, the Marcos had a lower and longer bonnet.

• Like 1

You could be right there Phil, I'd forgotten about the GT6. Nice prompt

7 minutes ago, Waddo said:

You could be right there Phil, I'd forgotten about the GT6. Nice prompt

The closer I look the more I’m convinced. I’ve had a Spitfire with a hardtop and also two GT6’s. My local classic car dealers, Sherwood restorations in Southwell, have sold two GT6’s in recent months and I went to see them for sentimental reasons! It looked a bit like a baby E Type Jaguar coupe. The shape of the rear side windows is the giveaway. I did know a chap with a Marcos and it looked nothing like that. I believe the Marcos body was built from moulded plywood!

Only the early one's were built on a wooden floorpan, the bodies were fiberglass. Far better built than the efforts that lotus did. Definition of Lotus= Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious!! My elan spent more time in Mick lovells than on the road in the 6weeks i had it!!

I see Marcos are fetching a high price now. I’ve not seen one in the flesh in years though. Lenham did make a sloping hardtop for the Spitfire which required boot lid modification for access. The Lenham hardtop didn’t have side windows though.

Yes i remember a nice green GT6 knocking about town..late 60's and early 70's..had side windows..looked a bit odd..sort of squeezed in.

Yes, it was basically a Spitfire with a straight 6 and a bulge in the bonnet. Both of mine were red. It was my last private vehicle before I got my first company car which was a Marina TC. That had the same engine as the MGB but it was still a Marina! Its succesor was a Capri 3 litre Ghia which was a big improvement.

A marina tc, cor, that must have been a joy!! The Capri would have been better,performance wise but the handling left a lot to desire!.

• Like 1

My 3 litre Capri got nicked off Chapel Bar..never to be seen again.

My realation who lived in Woodford.. had a Morgan engine shoehorned into her softop Morris Minor...whizz it did!

Ian, your Capri probably ended up in someone's garden/field at the first corner, that's why you never saw it again. Did you look round 'podders'?

8 minutes ago, Waddo said:

A marina tc, cor, that must have been a joy!! The Capri would have been better,performance wise but the handling left a lot to desire!.

The Marina came from John Harrisons at Lowdham when they were BMC agents. At their suggestion it had a suspension upgrade which substantially improved the handling! The Capri ran out of petrol on the steep hill coming out of Lynmouth in Devon due to a faulty fuel gauge. It was an embarrassing situation for my then fiancee who had to direct the traffic on a bend whilst I thumbed a lift down to a garage! It looked quite smart in white with a black vinyl roof. It was the only Ford I ever drove.

10 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

My 3 litre Capri got nicked off Chapel Bar..never to be seen again.

My realation who lived in Woodford.. had a Morgan engine shoehorned into her softop Morris Minor...whizz it did!

I hope it wasn't from a Plus 8. That would have taken a bit of shoehorning!

Not sure..but crikey it roared..this would have been 1972...when he was in the RAF in the 40's...and on leave he stayed in Woodford ..(probably a sweetheart.)..I often wonder about putting in a different engine to the bodywork...and what way they eventually sit.

18 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Not sure..but crikey it roared..this would have been 1972...when he was in the RAF in the 40's...and on leave he stayed in Woodford ..(probably a sweetheart.)..I often wonder about putting in a different engine to the bodywork...and what way they eventually sit.

Probably a Ford 1600 crossflow from a 4/4.

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The Capri ran out of petrol on the steep hill coming out of Lynmouth

Why not just coast down the hill?

Unfortunately coming out of Lynmouth the gradient,1 in 4, is in the wrong direction! Only did it once in a Midget and was stuck behind a Wallace Arnold coach grinding all the way up, luckily there was a strategically sited water tap in the lay-by at the top to replenish the exhausted cooling system!

• Like 1