IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

The street sign on the corner is Ewart Road so it is Forest Fields.

I knew Chick Wheelhouse quite well from when I used to fill up at the Plains garage in the 60’s until he vacated his place on Nuthall Rd. In between he had Gorse Hill garage on the Plains where he sold Lotus and then larger premises on the corner of Nottingham Rd./ Lortas Rd when he sold Bitter and Opel. The last time I saw him him was at B and K Thomas at Mansfield around 2000 when we were both collecting our cars from servicing. He didn’t look too healthy at the time. He always had lots of interesting machinery for sale and although I had a few test drives I never bought anything from him!

His wife at the time ran a 1964 Sunbeam Alpine. I also snapped my all time favourite car there - a Gordon Keeble.   Funny that you mentioned 'Bitter'.

The only one I have ever seen was at his new place in Basford, when Lewis Collins did the opening.  Have a slightly out of focus pic of Lewis on the Scalextric track. 

I posted the pic of Lewis Collins on the Woodborough Road thread, but here it is again.

182_0222_24%20Lewis%20Collins.jpg

182_0222_25%20Bitter.jpg

• Like 4

I believe so, two stroke, three cylinder Wartburg. East German engineering at it's best, a big improvement on Trabant!

• Like 1

Thanks Willow...were they reliable?

Very weird front end anyway.fd9a6ba7a1f95370bc8f222ed85147ce.jpgnow i have seen it...i got the wrong motor..probably a Wartburg i remember ..like Commo said.

Owned by Auto Union in the 30s-50s, hence the 4-ring badge. It also had a 2 stroke 3cyl engine. The modern Audi stemmed from this stable. It's a complicated ownership story from the beginnings in Europe 100 yrs ago via DKW, Audi, Auto Union, VW, to Audi.

• Like 2

Audi ring symbolizes the amalgamation in 1932 of four previously independent motor-vehicle manufacturers: , AUDI, DKW, Horch and Wanderer.

Weird engine set up on the Wartburg,three cyclinder in line two stroke,radiator at the rear of the engine,enclosed shaft running across the top of the engine to the front where it was driven via a pulley and "V" belt, my first boss had one,brand new in 1968,light blue colour,hed us apprentices under seal it with Dunlop underseal once a year,

Rog

• Like 2

Good post Rog..nice bit of background..i loved these...and the engine was something of a mystery as a kid.nsu-ro-80.jpg

• Like 2

Quite a few people replaced that engine with the Ford V4 I believe, which wasn't much better but were plentiful in the local scrapyards !

• Like 2

Wankel engine, first rotary engine I worked on,not good to start with but with more investment and development could have been really good,Norton made some for their race bikes in the eighties,wow they were good,the revs never seemed to "peak" though,very smooth all the way through the power band

Rog

• Like 2

wheelhouse sold one i think it was nsu not to sure but the woman who had it used to leave her handbag on the choke  while she closed the garage door result absolutely gobbed  meeowed

18 minutes ago, meeowed said:

wheelhouse sold one i think it was nsu not to sure but the woman who had it used to leave her handbag on the choke  while she closed the garage door result absolutely gobbed  meeowed

Old wives tale meowed ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plantfit said:

Wankel engine, first rotary engine I worked on,not good to start with but with more investment and development could have been really good,Norton made some for their race bikes in the eighties,wow they were good,the revs never seemed to "peak" though,very smooth all the way through the power band

Rog

Mazda seem to like it though, as they’ve persisted with the RX range. Not the best for fuel economy, and as I’ve been told, once started, you shouldn’t switch off until the engine is fully warmed-up to prevent premature wear on the rotor seals.

• Like 2

Mazda finished with the rotary engine in 2012.

Here's a lover of Mazda's rotary engines and his input.

https://www.quora.com/Why-wasnt-Mazdas-rotary-engine-successful

Being a car freak I did have a test drive in an RX8 a few years back. It was impressive but I couldn’t pluck up the courage to buy one. There are rumours of an RX9 so they haven’t necessarily given up on the idea. I would imagine the patents on the Wankel engine are long expired but no other manufacturer has produced anything. The principle is sound but fuel economy and rotor seals have got to be much improved. 

Rumours say they will bring it back this year to assist their electric car. I found this out while doing a search for Mazda rotary engine.