IAN123.

Foters Wiv' Motors.

Wankel engine, first rotary engine I worked on,not good to start with but with more investment and development could have been really good,Norton made some for their race bikes in the eighties,wow they were good,the revs never seemed to "peak" though,very smooth all the way through the power band

Rog

• Like 2

wheelhouse sold one i think it was nsu not to sure but the woman who had it used to leave her handbag on the choke  while she closed the garage door result absolutely gobbed  meeowed

18 minutes ago, meeowed said:

wheelhouse sold one i think it was nsu not to sure but the woman who had it used to leave her handbag on the choke  while she closed the garage door result absolutely gobbed  meeowed

Old wives tale meowed ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, plantfit said:

Wankel engine, first rotary engine I worked on,not good to start with but with more investment and development could have been really good,Norton made some for their race bikes in the eighties,wow they were good,the revs never seemed to "peak" though,very smooth all the way through the power band

Rog

Mazda seem to like it though, as they’ve persisted with the RX range. Not the best for fuel economy, and as I’ve been told, once started, you shouldn’t switch off until the engine is fully warmed-up to prevent premature wear on the rotor seals.

• Like 2

Mazda finished with the rotary engine in 2012.

Here's a lover of Mazda's rotary engines and his input.

https://www.quora.com/Why-wasnt-Mazdas-rotary-engine-successful

Being a car freak I did have a test drive in an RX8 a few years back. It was impressive but I couldn’t pluck up the courage to buy one. There are rumours of an RX9 so they haven’t necessarily given up on the idea. I would imagine the patents on the Wankel engine are long expired but no other manufacturer has produced anything. The principle is sound but fuel economy and rotor seals have got to be much improved. 

Rumours say they will bring it back this year to assist their electric car. I found this out while doing a search for Mazda rotary engine.

Also they will never satisfy EU pollution laws either.

Yes, you can’t buy two stroke outboard motors now, except for certain commercial users, due to emissions. They had much better performance when compared to the power to weight ratios of four strokes. I do have a 15’ boat with a 90hp two stroke which I bought on eBay about four years ago. I’ve never got round to putting it in the water but the engine runs up beautifully in a large water tank. I bet it’s good for around 40 knots which feels like 80 on the water! Too old for such excitement now!

Gospel i went out to it several times had to change the plugs wet through the seals didnt last five minutes meeowed

• Like 1

The mechanic i worked with at wheelhouse said to me no one would believe the stuff that went off there I was working on a jensen interceptor in the show room a woman came up to me and said this is nice  Then she said what does that do i said its automatic you put it in drive and it changes gear itself She said what it does it itself I said thats right  She went straight in the office and bought it  I darent think how much a interceptor was in 74  Pete the salesman could tell you some incredible stories about wheelhouse  Two crooks came in with a 6.4 mercedes they were looking around chicks corniche saying what have you got to lend us while you fix our car  I diagnosed points and condenser on the merc and said i will fetch the bits when ive had my dinner  He put his hand on my shoulder it was massive and said i want it doing now Chick said get it done now  They were like the krays both finished up in lincoln I went up the road with it fabulous motor 

• Like 4

this is where i started my working life when it was vernon hollbrook  I remember the telegraph pole that went right through the building in the far corner  There was a hydraulic lift where the bottom door is and the workshop floor being on a slope which was a bit hazardous when you jacked anything up next door was the blacksmith forge a really grumpy chap ran that but he was a good blacksmith He used to make road springs for us  I recall a painter setting up his ladder to paint the bottom shutter he only placed the bottom of the ladder on the steel lift He just started to paint the top of the shutter when the bottom of the ladder slid along the ramp and he came down click click click down the shutter luck was with him and he survived unscathed great days i was fifteen  meeowed

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, Commo said:

East German engineering at it's best, a big improvement on Trabant!

My brother retired from "Fleet Street" last month. mention of the Trabant reminds me of the time he was responsible for a competition to win one as they were in the news with the wall coming down & for some reason they were popular with U2.

Cutting a long story short he ended up in an East German hotel where he & the concierge?, the fella that stands at the front entrance, waiting by the side of the road. When a Trabant came by the bloke jumped into the road & flagged it down, money changed hands & he'd got his prize.

He set off for England that night & after a few hours drive he realised he was heading to Poland, turned round and eventually got back to London.

He needed to come up to Newcastle in the following couple of weeks & coincidently someone from Whitley Bay won the car, what were the chances of that...

He came out with me & the bloke across the road, Jim, who is of German extraction, for a game of snooker. Well lubricated we got back & Jim wanted to have a listen to the engine, so he fired it up & gave it a good revving, cue my missus at the front door doing her best fishwife impression, it was only 11.30...

• Like 2

Brilliant Alan..yes the Achtung Baby Tour..2 Trabants over the U2 stage.

Wellington Circus..one of the last places you could get free parking in town in the late 90's! Think there may have been Meters but only applied to daytime use.

• Like 1

White car looks like an Austin A40 Sports.  Last time I saw one of those other than at a museum or show, was in Podder's scrapyard...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, meeowed said:

The mechanic i worked with at wheelhouse said to me no one would believe the stuff that went off there I was working on a jensen interceptor in the show room a woman came up to me and said this is nice  Then she said what does that do i said its automatic you put it in drive and it changes gear itself She said what it does it itself I said thats right  She went straight in the office and bought it  I darent think how much a interceptor was in 74  Pete the salesman could tell you some incredible stories about wheelhouse  Two crooks came in with a 6.4 mercedes they were looking around chicks corniche saying what have you got to lend us while you fix our car  I diagnosed points and condenser on the merc and said i will fetch the bits when ive had my dinner  He put his hand on my shoulder it was massive and said i want it doing now Chick said get it done now  They were like the krays both finished up in lincoln I went up the road with it fabulous motor 

This wasn't the mid 80's was it?

Next door to me on Nuthall rd lived a (semi/pro?) boxer and his brother.

Both Cockney wide boys. Both had a Porsche 911 sc, one black 456KO the other gold. Looked fabulous parked up together. Remember they also had a blue 60's merc (possibly fintail), amongst various expensive classics.

When on a bike training ride near Berlin I overtook a Trabant. I would be dead from inhaling the exhaust if I had stayed behind it.

• Like 1

That was 1974 at wheelhouse I left for a job in oz 1975  real hard characters I laugh now but it wasnt funny at the time chick was terrified of them I heard second hand they had chucked a police motorcyclist and his bike in the hedge bottom meeowed

• Like 1

Plains Road, probably 1966 looking across to what was Sharpes garage (if anyone has a pic of any of Roy's buses, please post - especially a double decker).Not sure when Roy headed of to South Africa, but by the looks of this pic, Speed's may already have taken over.  Riley RME heading away and a Lea Francis in the foreground.

166_0500_14%20Plains.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, this may have been Chick Wheelhouse's wife's 1964 Sunbeam Alpine.

164_0700_%2001%20Alpine.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Socram said:

1964 Sunbeam Alpine.

The Alpine was one of the early Bond cars.

Wish I had a Tiger, worth a mint now