St Ann's and surrounding area

This compilation has been on Youtube for a couple of years, but I don't think it's made its way to NS. The first two minutes show Victoria Station being demolished - then the next 12 minutes shows St Anns in its later years.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

Amazing footage !      Being ex City Brigade, I was very surprised to see the Dennis F12 (UAU 999) doing a "live" rescue from a building, using the wheeled escape. The old breathing apparatus sets , "proper" fire tunics etc. Great days !. Obviously just an exercise, soon to be outlawed after a fireman died in Birmingham about the same era and doing the same sort of thing.

Did'nt recognise anyone, it was a bit too quick for me, brilliant to see though,

Thanks for posting it

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing Sir Roland Hill boarded up was a crime, but when the bus stopped and the man got out took off  his hat and bowed and leaving a bunch of flowers was just brilliant. For those who did not know Sir Roland Hill was on Hungerhills  Road top on Norland Road St Ann's.

• Like 1

HI IAN123 

yes your right on the other side of Norland Road was the Tin Chapel it was used quite a lot brownies, guides, cubs and scouts, like you say also jumble sales, I believe it was sold to a Reform church and from then on Sundays mornings use to "ROCK" I bet the singers could be heard right in the city centre.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2018 at 3:46 PM, fogrider said:

Did'nt recognise anyone, it was a bit too quick for me, brilliant to see though,   Thanks for posting it

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can pause that footage on Youtube if you want to try and identify particular people. While it's playing, click on the white arrow in the lower left corner.

PMlH0hB.jpg

Thanks Clifton, have had another look and stopped it at various points, just a bit too grainy to make people out really well but I think I recognised two. What the occasion was I'm not sure , but it's clearly an exercise , I suspect it's new BA sets, those sets came out around 1960 I think, 

Fascinating, 

Regards all

Just had another view of that St Anns video and another video called Poverty in St Anns, 1969, popped up. It's tragic to watch, those poor people I'm thinking, then a young chap on £14 a week, in poverty...……...hang on, I lived a bit further up Woodborough Road in 1969 and was on £12 a week in the Fire Brigade !!

( I still have the pay slips). How life has changed, the perception of poverty is on a different level now. They were tough days, but  it was just how things were,

unpleasant video, I'll stick to Victoria railway station clips in future !

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

fogrider

i'm sorry but you have got the wrong end of the stick . YES !! we were classed as in poverty but we were also one large family who looked after each other. all mums that went to work would have some one to look after their children, if any one passed away all would gather around to help, and there would always be a collection for flowers, if some one had a baby you could count on all the neighbour's to rally round , i could go on and on.

if you are on about the video the the students of Nottingham University  made (which I think you are) they made it look a lot worse than it was after all they had to sell the video to raise money to pay for it. I married in 1965 and we could not get together enough money for a deposit to buy a house, so my friend told me of a house for rent which we apply for, so at the time I was born in St Ann's grew up in St Ann's and lived in St Ann's till demolition. When the Uni students made the video they called at my house but because i had a washer they told me that I was to well off to be on the video  so you see it's not all what it seems.

JUST GO AND LOOK AT OUR WEB SITE   ST ANN'S PRE_DEMOLITION  and tell me what you think then!  St Ann's people were not poor or Tragic as a matter of fact we were very rich as we still look out for one and other even though the slum's of St Ann's are gone you will never get a community like that again.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Fair point Fogrider..& how times change.. hope info is correct..gathered from my cousin..junior firefighter 28 grand starting salary now..he payed in.. retired at fifty one & 24 Grand a year pension..still pitches in on consultant basis..i've missed out his one off bung.. obscene IMO!

The guy in the wood mill is working in a sadly redundant Industry..imagine most is now imported..strange paradox is the modern world...

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, IAN123. said:

Even though it was fairly off my manor i recall neighbourly pubs..

Garden Gate.

Alcester.

Alfred.

Oliver Cromwell.

Liberal Club.3474656-orig.jpgPrior to demolition ,the Tin Chapel..bundle of Valiant annuals and a Topo Gigio for pence..great 'Jungle' Sales.

The Tin Hat was used for cubs, brownies, girl guides and scouts the sold to some Gospe[ church and boy each SUNDAY we heard them sing it was Brilliant.This photo was taken after the houses and been pulled down. Don't knock Gospel singing till you have heard it.

• Like 1

Yes, Mary, I did watch the "student" video and I did think some of it did seem rather superficial. When I joined the City Brigade early 1968, there was still huge areas of the old housing, centred around Alfred Street, went to quite a few house fires in the area, as well as in the Meadows, they were very poor people in poor conditions. Having grown up in poverty in a Yorkshire village where our 'house' had no running water, no electricity, no proper toilet - I had knowledge of poor conditions !

Comparing my life now with how I grew up, it WAS tragic, the difference appears to be in the so called City  'slum' areas, you had a community in the same boat, in a little village you were on you're own !

• Like 1

Explain your post please

what you ment about bath st

20 hours ago, mary1947 said:

fogrider

i'm sorry but you have got the wrong end of the stick . YES !! we were classed as in poverty but we were also one large family who looked after each other. all mums that went to work would have some one to look after their children, if any one passed away all would gather around to help, and there would always be a collection for flowers, if some one had a baby you could count on all the neighbour's to rally round , i could go on and on.

if you are on about the video the the students of Nottingham University  made (which I think you are) they made it look a lot worse than it was after all they had to sell the video to raise money to pay for it. I married in 1965 and we could not get together enough money for a deposit to buy a house, so my friend told me of a house for rent which we apply for, so at the time I was born in St Ann's grew up in St Ann's and lived in St Ann's till demolition. When the Uni students made the video they called at my house but because i had a washer they told me that I was to well off to be on the video  so you see it's not all what it seems.

JUST GO AND LOOK AT OUR WEB SITE   ST ANN'S PRE_DEMOLITION  and tell me what you think then!  St Ann's people were not poor or Tragic as a matter of fact we were very rich as we still look out for one and other even though the slum's of St Ann's are gone you will never get a community like that again.

I'm inclined to disagree Mary, I lived in St Anns in the '60s & although life was hard with poor housing conditions, outside khasi's with no bathroom or central heating etc, people just got on with it cos they had no choice ! All the families I knew were poor kiving from hand to mouth every week & visiting the pawn shops on a Monday morning to raise a few kids on before the generous govt handouts given to families these days. Modern mothers these days wouldn't last five minutes with those conditions mothers had then.

I will agree that the community spirit was there in those days where people looked out for each other, I remember there was alway's a woman in most areas who would help out at a birth before the midwife arrived & alway's someone who could be called upon to lay out the dead when needed too.

Happy days in many ways but hard days too.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Some memories among that lot Malc........used to deal with the couple that ran that little shop under the Gardeners pub,,,,Carlton rd Coop told a few tales about that place,,, and even a Coop when it was NCS...........always liked the old St Anns.........cliff ton won't believe me but there was a Vernons store too,,,

Come on now our Ben,Forgot that post,forgot yer teeth, never forget the ladies though,still thinking about it you got your priorities right eh,bless you

Rog

• 4 years later...

This cropped up on YouTube and is more interesting than the title suggests.

A well made documentary with the voiceover sounding a bit like the Pathe News commentator whoever he was?  Unfortunately can't hide the sub-titles but some good Nottstalgic scenes showing men at work in and around St Ann's, circa 1968.

https://youtu.be/ejUqUf8OC4g?si=AVYTDo8ZaMbvFnnH

• Like 2

A good watch Para., well worth a look if you've not seen it.

( If you have seen it, there's always Emmerdale re-runs).

just read your answer catfan  I see you say that you lived in St Ann's in the 60s then you can not class your self with what you are saying yes we did not gave bathrooms but each morning most of us had a good strip wash and yes no central heating if that is all you need then ??  you say people living hand to mouth and visiting pawn shops, yes there was a pawn shop on St Ann's Well Road but DON'T class all with the same brush . May I asked, why did you move into

St Ann's??   I think that I am more qualified to answer questions as I lived there till I married why don't you ask what became of the younger ones after demolition? quite a few of my friends went into teaching . some worked for themselves and had their own business / a couple of my friends went on to become doctors,  If you went in the 60s then that was when they were pulling down the houses and rebuilding new ones. Please free catfan to answer.

I once courted a redhead girl who lived in St.Anns, I think it was about 1962. Her name was Margaret Burns. Her dad was Irish, his name, Bill. Her mum hailed from Birmingham.

Margaret had two younger sisters, Maureen and Jean also a youngest brother, Billy. Even after all this time, I often wonder what happened to them. I think they lived off Westminster street. Aah , memories.