IAN123.

Bit a ' Bath Street.

Some photos of Bath St. and surrounding area.The park , the washouse and the Baths for the wrestling playing a part in the past.60968_orig.jpgsome names and premises.4690291_orig.jpg

• Like 2

Up until about 9 or 10 i never knew about the Pretty Windows murder or the new Police Station etc...3767704_orig.jpgLike Lenton Park..all i knew was this had double swings..and sadly a family friend fell climbing in this Park rendering him unable to walk again.3863772_orig.jpgVictoria Flats..one of the Council's first attempts at Social Housing.

Wild wino's and fellas drinking 'Jack ' from milk bottles..made me scurry past..the strange pink liquid puzzled me.david-warwick-1945_orig.jpgGoing back here...the old Cop Shop in 1945.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

lymns_orig.jpgThe original frontage...Lymns have gone on to be a very successful Undertakers.3502264_orig.jpgBath Street School..looked even more daunting than St.Marys. served some function as an Adult Education place later? Memories of negotiating this stretch of road are vivid indeed..a pram lashed with bags of washing..poking me nose in Bath St.Surplus Store...which can be seen next to the construction of the Post Office/ Telephone building.Telegram Despatch riders zipping about on red mopeds!2915526.jpgThe Washouse....spent some days in here...the roof of 'Vic Baths can be seen...7929622_orig.jpg...this taken in 1914.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The Washouse.3867638_orig.jpgI recognise one lady here, Lillian made the tea at 3pm..all the ladies stopped and had tea & biscuits..great times for me..'longears' listening to the men bashing.732217_orig.jpgThe mangle room..my bed wetting antics were cleaned and squeezed out here..it was great hearing all the Mums sing whilst they worked.1383266_orig.jpgThe drying racks..full sheets and blankets dried in next to no time- then rolled on iron wheels back into the wall..heated from coal or coke ?3744335_orig.jpgSome Dolly Tub!..when i first visited...the washing machines were open topped and had a timber paddle in the centre of the drum.

• Like 2

The festival would be Woodstock I presume. As well as TYA, other acts included Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Band, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Canned Heat, The Who, Richie Havens, Johnny Winter, The Grateful Dead, Mountain, Tim Hardin, Melanie, Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie, C,S,N &Young, Country Joe & the Fish, Incredible String Band, John Sebastian and more.

Truly magnificent !

Just inside the main Street entrance door to the swimming baths on the left was a bath house which I used regularly in the 60s when I lived in rented rooms.

Friday teatime, after work, in the tub, unlimited hot water and in summer a steady cooling ride home on me T100ss, wearing nowt but baseball boots, jeans, white T shirt and Ray-Ban aviators. I was  'cruising Highway one.' 

Posin' all the way! Lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Never was Rog...only the bloke stoking the boiler.

There was a green boxed soap powder called Acdo..had a game/ puzzle on the box...i recall.

• Like 1

Amazing photo of Bath Street and surrounds.12697466-1263445290338401-47736225958323Showing Bowman ..and other Post Office/ Telephone buildings in prime location.Bath Street/ King Edward park and Bendigo statue..Victoria Bingo Hall..Hunto bus station..Central Market..Lammas House. New St.Anns dwellings on the right. Waddo's school and a Berni Inn.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great photos, I learned to swim there. I also went most Sundays to have a bath. I think I was about 10 or eleven, I lived on Union Road at the time.

• Like 1

I also learnt to swim there although not in the Exhibition pool, at school (hunto) we used the oval. 

• Like 1

Forgot about the oval bit..thanks Deepdene.victoriaold-hall-1.jpgThe Turkish bath here was popular..so i'm told.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, IAN123. said:

Wild wino's and fellas drinking 'Jack ' from milk bottles..made me scurry past..the strange pink liquid puzzled me.david-warwick-1945_orig.jpgGoing back here...the old Cop Shop in 1945.

• Like 1

Great pic..didn't know that station was still there circa 1945.. thus appears to have survived the 1930's redevelopment, pictures recall it much earlier circa 1910 ..my recall is it becoming a wooden shack..still a a Police Station in the early eighties.then became a very short lived bookies about 1986, Pownalls?

Anybody know when the original station was demolished?

A boy in my class in St Phillips in 1948 lived there. John Tufnell.

• Like 1

..St Philips Sneinton?

Think the remaining graves were repositioned in 1965 on Bath St..did the police station suffer  similar fate?

Thanks Dodie..I got mistaken, was it the St Philips vicarage in Sneinton? re.Bath St Police Station..Interesting that your mate lived there..;) ..sure it became a Police Station again in the 1970's.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, IAN123. said:

Amazing photo of Bath Street and surrounds.12697466-1263445290338401-47736225958323Showing Bowman ..and other Post Office/ Telephone buildings in prime location.Bath Street/ King Edward park and Bendigo statue..Victoria Bingo Hall..Hunto bus station..Central Market..Lammas House. New St.Anns dwellings on the right. Waddo's school and a Berni Inn.

Great picture Ian..any idea on the year?

• Like 1

It also looks as though the old Central Market has the large entrance/exits for when it was being used by NCT as a bus garage, which makes it 74-75.

Pedant that I am, I have to correct the statement that King Edward Park is shown on the photo, it is in fact Victoria Park and The Garden of Rest which is shown, King Edward Park is on Carlton Road, just about opposite the end of Alfred Street South ( don't start that again! )