IAN123.

All Kinds of Everything.

NOT_RVM_2008_01.jpgNice 1960's image of the Village Green,

if i ever was to return to Nottingham- it'd be no nearer to the City than Ruddington...pictured here.

• Like 1

All my BHGS outfit came from The Co-op and bought courtesy of their weekly "club" payment facility. Strange to think that it included short trousers in 1958 and only seven years later I was the sophisticate lounging in The Royal, Long Eaton, with the future Mrs Commo.

• Like 2

But 7 years is a long time when you're young.... not so when you get older!   The last 7 years has just flown.

• Like 2

A good memory Commo...i found the co op more relaxed...now you mentioned it, i think there was an account arrangement.

Couldn't wait to get into a pair of 'longies'.

If I remember correctly, you chose your items in the school clothing department, served at a long counter by a real person who advised what was required by the school, then we're handed confirmation of the cost on a chitty which you ( or rather your parents) took down to the accounts department who set up a payment card, confirmed on the chit that this had been done, then you trundled back to the counter with the authority and picked up your purchases. All that was then required was for Mum to sew name tags in everything after trying to scribe your name on bits of tape in biro. You could always tell the rich kids because their name tags were professionally embroidered!

• Like 1

Most of my uniform was purchased at the Co-op because as well as the benefit of divi it was also a bit cheaper than D&P, however certain items were a slightly different colour, the CleWGS girls blouses in particular.  

Commo, I had the Coates embroidered name tapes, but we were far from wealthy.  I still had a lot in my sewing box until a few years ago when I used them all up labelling my Dad’s clothes when he went into a Care Home.  I stitched them on so that only the surname was showing though!   

• Like 1

In the 70's me Mam stitched in me blood group...a night down the Jockey in Bulwell could get a bit rough!

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

a night down the Jockey in Bulwell could get a bit rough!

That's a bit of an understatement Ian.

• Like 1

Was still working for Marsdens when we converted and had a week in the office above Farrands on Alfreton road learning how to convert,,what a waste all that was needed was to forget about old money.

Then again it came in useful,because we would explain to the Pensioners what their old money was worth.

PS cliff ton,, ive never seen a picture of Farrands Alfreton road,,any chance mate  ?

• Like 1

Feb.1971..what a lark..you had until December that year to use your half crowns.

The last couns used were tanners and two bobs.

Though ten pence pieces were out in 1968.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:12 AM, MargieH said:

But 7 years is a long time when you're young.... not so when you get older!   The last 7 years has just flown.

And the floor gets further down too :P :P

68505.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAll kinds indeed..Dana could have took the photo! Has everything thing in this ..the long gone Three Horseshoes Hotel..which stood opposite the Albert.

New Zealand Butter...that was the Anchor logo?..Taxi shed and Barton pick up point...Haylock?..do the car auctions...and the Tudor building..was the rear of The Playhouse..as was.and Power Petrol..new one on me.All this in one frame...1949.

• Like 2

Anchor Butter was indeed a product of New Zealand,, 1/11 per half lb when Lurpak was 2/6.............who needs the EU ?...........LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

The pic of Viyella House stirs a few memories. Dad worked there when the pic was taken and that could have been me as an eighteen year old riding the tandem to Tech College when on day release. I used to ride the old tandem to work because  my racing bike was to good to leave in the bike racks. I'll bring the William Hollins book to the next meet up.

My oldest sister worked there straight from school.

• Like 1

There is a nice series of books(7 volumes) called Poster to Poster all about British railway posters going back to the early 20th century.

• Like 1

Hustle and Bustle:1948.62103.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgA busy postwar Albert street..loving the lapels on the ladies coats.

National service man, don't see women carrying baskets now. That jeep vehicle looks odd- ex military? Wallis were there for years..and Weavers before they moved around the corner. The 21 heading off..what a cracking chink of history.

• Like 3

Looking likely.  Door shape, front wing, rag top etc.

• Like 1

I've never seen one though I have heard of them. I have serious reservations about the claim 95 mpg. Todays 'best in class' can just about make 85 with most somewhere in the mid 60's

• Like 1