IAN123.

All Kinds of Everything.

Never drank Barley wine myself but do recall a sickly sweet smell on anybody who had! :wacko:

In the Bell Inn one evening, after a few pints of bitter, I downed a pint of barley wine in one go for a bet.

Felt Ok at first, then went out of the door and it hit me like a sledgehammer. I ended up sitting on the ground while the world was spinning around me.

Never, ever, touched the evil brew again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rob.L said:

In the Bell Inn one evening, after a few pints of bitter, I downed a pint of barley wine in one go for a bet.

My mum liked barley wine but only ever had one.  I remember an evening when my parents had been out dancing, Coleman's probably, and someone had persuaded her to have two Red Label barley wines.  She was in such a state, she didn't know what she was doing! Mum would have the occasional sherry but didn't really indulge in alcohol.  She was never allowed to live down the night she came home 'roaring drunk'! 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 2:55 AM, IAN123. said:

68553-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

George and Tess's Snack Bar...spent me days on them window stools squinting with me one eye..supping Horlicks.

I've been looking for a pic of George's amongst the many pics of Derby road for quite a while now. We used to park up round the top corner on Wollaton street and have a quick crafty brekky snack and tea in here. That was after the boss discovered us using the Empire cafe. Happy days. Thanks for putting this up, Ian.

• Like 1

That drink was lethal, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts was back home by 8.30 the first (and last time) I ever touched it.

I tried a couple of bottles back in the 60’s. We’re they called nips? I wasn’t overly impressed with the flavour so never had any since. It used to be drunk by old biddies didn’t it!

1974. Last day at Ilkeston Grammar School a few of us went to a back street offy & bought a few bottles of barley wine each. 2 hours later I was puking my guts up behind the bike sheds. The mere mention of it, never mind the smell, turns my gills green.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I tried a couple of bottles back in the 60’s. We’re they called nips? I wasn’t overly impressed with the flavour so never had any since. It used to be drunk by old biddies didn’t it!

No !!!! in my case I was lead astray by Nottingham natives who told naive (cough) students that it wasn't very strong.

• Like 1

If ever we were in a pub where the bitter was a bit dicey, then a barley wine added to half of bitter pepped it up a bit.

Willow..a pleasure to hear someone else enjoyed the delights of George's Cafè...schooling just up the road and being on elastic at the Eye Hospital, it was hunger central!

They were a lovely couple and the homemade apple tart and whipped cream were a sensation...a memory that sticks out- popped in with my Mam and four hours later...still there!

They were short handed so me Mam donned her pinny...sat listening to  Pretty Flamingo watching the plastic oranges bobbing about in the juice dispenser.

Cheers for the memory mate.

• Like 2

When we celebrated our culture...59265584-286091162274570-434270739325260Mafeking Day,1900 on Shakespeare St.

• Like 1

Actually trying to work out the geography here..the steeple is Holy Trinity?..is it Milton st?

Upper Parliament St.195759502153-2818330398183208-49316678766176Rhodes & Rosslyn the Sumrie gents suit retailers are next to The Elite Cinema...The Clock on the Express Building clings to the wall..eventually attatched to the NEP building on Forman Street.

Was not aware of the cycle shop.

• Like 2

Victoria Station canopy.XuqKd7x.jpgA glimpse of Ivor Thirst can be just seen.

• Like 2

Only a Glasgow man could write a song hailing the Albion.

..Sure he watched them being tested in Scotstoun.

• Like 1

Mark Knopfler, one of our finest singer/songwriters. Albion's slogan was "Sure as the sunrise", so why did they produce a bus chassis called the  Nimbus (noun meaning raincloud)

• Like 1

2 nice ones that have slipped by:

John can dance..

..but Plan can't act.