IAN123.

All Kinds of Everything.

At one time not so long ago there was another Barbers shop on Mansfield Road , where the buses turn to go it to Vic centre it was called 

"BILL THE BARBERS" 

He was one of the oldest and best barbers in Nottingham, from what I can recall he did his  apprenticeship  at said shop, brought the shop and retired at 70.

7 hours ago, mary1947 said:

At one time not so long ago there was another Barbers shop on Mansfield Road , where the buses turn to go it to Vic centre it was called 

"BILL THE BARBERS" 

He was one of the oldest and best barbers in Nottingham, from what I can recall he did his  apprenticeship  at said shop, brought the shop and retired at 70.

Discussed in great detail here

CuaYbWSXEAU0xo5.jpg

• Like 3

Spot on Red..it was like a G-Force fashion show...20 in a queue when Bill had finished his lunch further down at The Mayfair.

He cut my bonce since '65.

• Like 1

Poster for Rock n Roll gig at Nottingham University.This makes me think of the great stories told by the late Firbeck( Pete.)ceefa09844f44b69c9797bfc81348bee.jpg

• Like 2

Agree Ian, Firbeck is sorely missed on this site for his opinions on life in general,his much valued transport memories and pictures and like you say his music and venue memories,rest in peace Pete

Rog

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 2:35 AM, IAN123. said:

1930's Evening Post..scouting for talent.images_1.jpg

I remember that my mother used Amami "Wave set and conditioner". It was like a bottle of green snot both in appearance and consistency

• Like 2

- - - and Robertson's Jams & Marmalades had to give up their extremely well-established trademark.

Did you collect the Robertson's Gollies, that were slipped under the label, and save them up to get an enamel Golly badge? There were quite a few models to collect - to keep up the pester power on mothers to continue buying the products. I was always disappointed that Robertson's jelly didn't have a collectable paper Golly and they wouldn't accept ones cut out from the carton - I tried that.

• Like 2

Sadly, we're living in a world of intolerant individuals who want to strip away our heritage and our history, and destroy the monuments and memorials to our heroes, and to desecrate the graves of our brave soldiers who died trying to protect our homes and families.

Anyone who is a free thinker, and a realist is branded a rebel, and must be immediately stifled. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Anyone who is a free thinker, and a realist is branded a rebel, and must be immediately stifled. 

It was tried in the USSR and failed, true Brits are made of sterner stuff

Rog

• Upvote 1

This is 'The Song'..reminds me of Saturday nights at the Cathedral Youth Club.

It was on that ffrr Decca..really loud.

The Priest would play it and the Youths goes nuts!

A great Kenny Lynch cut.

A lad would slip on Big Seven or Wet Dream..Father Pat was not amused.

• Like 1

The Elvis International Fan Club was based in Nottm.nottingham1971004.jpgThe day after his death in 1977..jiving took place outside The Palais De Dance.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, IAN123. said:

An advertisement from a shop chain long gone.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Bubblewrap said:

Nothing in that advert would appeal to me as I am a real ale fan 

The prices definitely appeal to me.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:21 AM, IAN123. said:

This is 'The Song'..reminds me of Saturday nights at the Cathedral Youth Club.

Sha La La La Lee  was amended by many opposing Forest fan in the sixties to Terry Terry Hennessey who the F****n hell is he.

• Like 1

On 26 September 2018 at 9:15 AM, Bubblewrap said:

Nothing in that advert would appeal to me as I am a real ale fan 

Wonder when the term 'real ale' started being used ,when I drank Shippo's, Home Ales, Kimberly, & Mansfield in my youth it was never marketed as 'Real Ale'.

• Like 2

Most likely that in our youth all ale was real ale and there was no need to define that further. It's only when these huge conglomerate 'breweries' took hold with their chemical-filled concoctions (think Red Barrel and such for starters) and quality controlled processing which made each fermentation exactly the same as the previous one and beer lost any and all of its character that the term real ale had any need or meaning.

Thinking about the stuff my Father sold back in the 70s it was Mansfield bitter & mild it was pumped to the bar & not drawn like the Shipstones that was sold in the Higglers & Marquis, not sure that would be classed as "Real ale" by today's standards?

• Like 1

I believe the Marquis Shippos bitter always tasted better than the Higglers Shippos, the Bass in the Gregory & Rose was superb, Shippos mild in the Dover ...... Heaven.

• Like 1