IAN123.

All Kinds of Everything.

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Lady shell fillers, Chilwell.

Chilwell Canaries or Canary Girls so called due yellow skin caused by the Amatol explosive the shells were being filled with.

Some 19 million shells were filled there.

I worked there for a time in the early seventies at 38 Central Workshops

url=https://postimages.org/]images-4.jpg[/url]

Far right of image is my paternal grandma, Kate Hudson, who became Kate Sparrow in June 1919. Her temper was more devastating than the shells she worked with!

• Like 1

According to the wife of someone I used to work with (Margaret(?) Jaeckel) and who also worked at Chilwell in the R&D department during the war, the same explosive was also used to make a hair dye - it coloured the hair an orange/red colour. As well as being highly explosive, that stuff is extremely toxic.

Margaret Jaeckel was a chemist and became known as an accomplished sculptor working in stainless steel but I am unable to find any links to her or her work. Maybe I have her first name wrong.

The Jaeckels were European refugees living in Nottingham. The husband was a well-known chemist in his time (that's how I knew them) and he was the first person I ever met who would spend half an hour telling you he didn't have five minutes to spare.

Used by Cinema and Theatre goers during WW2 as air raid shelters...the caves beneath The County Hotel.58218-1-320-320-FFFFFF.jpg

Rear gates to the old Bluecoat School premises.51155-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgChildrens Society proved a haven for bargains..the neighbouring building was also a glove w/hse for a short period.

• Like 2

Aerial photo...1953.0-3598798.jpgClear view of Forman Works- bottom centre,Holy Trinity Church and public loo,Mechanics Institute on the left with small area for bus terminus,North Church St. being slightly wider.

The cluster of buildings were demolished and housed the Traffic Wardens and Rent & Rates Dpt.The arteries of Kings and Trinity Walk leading to Hopewells.

Also both Dog & Partridge Pubs are there to provide libation.Turntable.1 is beneath the wall on Glasshouse St.Platforms and canopy stand behind the station clock.The Printing Works behind Watson Fothergills building is of interest..it shared it goods yard with The Black Boy Hotel...alongside The Coach & Horses , laundry, food etc was delivered via this entrance on Lower Parliament St.Jolleys Taxi rank appears full.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Looking at that picture of Parliament Street (I'd say it was somewhere around noon from the shadows) and seeing all that traffic, my, my how did they cope - it must have been a nightmare...

Shame we lost Pepper St. It got chopped and cut when M&S turned it into a loading bay!

Used to scrounge mushrooms or striploins from the Restaurant- if the Knights Restaurant was running short ..circa early 1980's...6140e75a8c9792a7475fc7cc1468fd01.jpg

Nottm Vic and areas in ruins.11d2a51258aabd96c9b105d3ea24ca9d.jpgCarrington.66659-1-640-640-UNPAD.jpgClinton St.East.64413-1-640-640-UNPAD.jpgFine Fare, Miltons Head,Welbeck Hotel etc...

• Like 2

Viewers of The Little 'Honey Lantree' series on the beeb....

nothing like a hot chick in a merc ..toaking a Styvo!

On 10/16/2018 at 5:57 PM, IAN123. said:

Branch felling on Cliff Rd.1890's.74b62564f590c7c8fef4cddb39def9e3.jpg

Would have been Red Lion Street (Narrow Marsh)then

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, IAN123. said:

£380,000?77962-102431009899-IMG-01-0000-max-656x4...what a swizz..elitist rubble..

If I lived alone maybe I would have one of those. Not for elitism but for memories, and  the fishing, cycle tracks, rowing club and footy and cricket a short walk away. Unique place for me.

• Like 2

Jill - I live in a 17thC Yeomans' cottage that was 'modernised' in Victorian times. So how old does that make me :rolleyes:

It's taken me all week to replace the bathroom floor and not been able to go fishing. Sometime I think it would be a good idea to have a maintenance free house so that I could get out more. Getting tradesmen in to do everything is not only costly but they never seem to do a good job. Two grand for a bit of decorating some weeks ago and very unsatisfactory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2