IAN123.

All Kinds of Everything.

True, PP. You can't trust anyone to do a decent job these days, nor to stick to the agreed schedule for doing it. That's why I've got a garderobe!  ;)

• Like 1

Have to agree with you Terry, we’re certainly considering a move to a maintenance free home after living in many properties over the years that have required thousands of pounds spent to bring them up to our standard.  The only drawback with moving to an apartment is a serious lack of space when we’ve been used to  lots of storage room, outbuildings and no noisy neighbours.  However, we made a big move when coming back to Nottingham 14 years ago, to a house half the size of our previous one so we got rid of loads of unnecessary possessions at that time.  As long as we can guarantee an area of ‘private’ outside space we’ll go for it.  Life is too short to be mowing the lawn twice a week.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

If I lived alone maybe I would have one of those. Not for elitism but for memories, and  the fishing, cycle tracks, rowing club and footy and cricket a short walk away. Unique place for me.

I'd consider one too, although having lived all over the place, I'd end up pretty much where I started.

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Life is too short to be mowing the lawn twice a week

Blimey twice a week! Twice a years is more than enough. 

3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Getting tradesmen in to do everything is not only costly but they never seem to do a good job. Two grand for a bit of decorating some weeks ago and very unsatisfactory.

The other problem with getting tradesmen is simply getting in contact with them.

I've lost count of the number of occasions I've left a message on an answering machine asking a plumber/electrician/etc to ring me back....and you never hear from them.  I work on the principle that if someone answers straight away - or returns your message - then they will turn out to be ok.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Two views on your comment CliffTon.  

1. If a tradesman produces excellent workmanship he/she is in great demand and although they’re very rude      not getting back to you, they really don’t need more workload.

2.  They may not want the job, it could affect their ‘benefits’

We had the outside of our house painted in April and when the job was finished we asked our painter/decorator to come back ASAP to go right through the interior.  Still waiting, even though he keeps messaging me to say he hasn’t forgotten about us.  He’s a good guy, he’s worked for us for 12 years and does an excellent job so we wait patiently for his return.  

I remember when living at Saxondale, requiring a plumber , and ringing a number I had found on a card in the Bingham hardware shop.

A chap answered and said he was based in Milton Keynes, and was part of a group of tradesmen. I asked why he was advertising in Bingham, but got no reply. Stupid, I just wanted a local guy to fix a leaking tap by replacing a silica washer.

14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Two views on your comment CliffTon.  

1. If a tradesman produces excellent workmanship he/she is in great demand and although they’re very rude      not getting back to you, they really don’t need more workload.

2.  They may not want the job, it could affect their ‘benefits’

That had occurred to me...that it's their way of saying "I'm not interested".  But I'd never try such people again, so ultimately they will lose potential customers.

I had a friend who was a joiner/handyman and he was very good at his job and in demand, if he didn't want the job he would give a price which would put people off. If they accepted he would take the job as he said at that price I would be stupid to turn it down and he was never short of work.

Nowt like a snapshot of a drizzly Slabsquare.36510870421-1734f98a5b-b.jpgThe Cheese Shop, Truemans Vaults,50 Bob Tailors..all knocked.

Tug ended up at this Lloyds Bank after leaving the force.My fave eaterie The Crusader Grill ..can just be seen.

Bettisons/ Exchange Travel and 'Burtons Corner'. Bulwell bus in situ..prefer that Rover P5 to the Aston.

Shame those lovely floral roundabouts have been done away with.

• Like 3

The only Nottm Nightclub that opened Christmas Day!52468-1-640-640-UNPAD.jpgI preferred the "two up" at Stockwoods whilst record hunting at Ace and Selectadisc...to using LV's at the Canton.

• Like 2

Spot on Ian .......once spent an xmas day in there with a certain DJ .....when it closed the party continued on magdala road with a couple of guys from hot chocolate .......funny what you remember ? 

12 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Ex NCT.. at Bedlington?3848089673-de299237b4.jpgDAU 362C.

Yes,  Bedlington & District had around 20 ex NCT AEC Renowns and about half a dozen Leyland Atlanteans

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IAN123. said:

The only Nottm Nightclub that opened Christmas Day!52468-1-640-640-UNPAD.jpgI preferred the "two up" at Stockwoods whilst record hunting at Ace and Selectadisc...to using LV's at the Canton.

I remember the Penny Farthing when it became Scamps. Don't know about Christmas Day but took a girl there for our first date one New Years Eve. First thing I did was manage to tip a full pint of Stella into her lap. She was pretty upset but still ended up marrying me. 

• Like 1

^^^ One of my last views on the City before I left for good in 1979. I had my last Nottingham pint in that pub before toddling off to the station to get the train to Ashford, Kent - two trains actually, one to St Pancras then Charing Cross to Kent.

I just cannot remember the name of the pub. Can anyone help on that?

I do remember my emotions that day - great sadness, almost to the point of tears, that I was leaving the place that I had known forever plus a great relief as I had premonitions of things to come in the area I had been living (Sherwood Rise). These premonitions did materialise soon afterwards with the Hyson Green riots and associated mayhem.