Another walk in the Coigach mountains, Assynt, noth west Scotland. When uploaded, I will post a few photos of my walk yesterday 26th July 2018 in what turned out to be the hottest day in the area since records began - still 28°C at 5.30pm....too hot for mountain walking, thus a four hour walk took me over eight hours to complete! Most of the mountain streams had dried up but luckily I found two from which I could replenish my water bottle.  This one is a shot of "The Sentinel" (Lower left of photo). It is in a high gully on the north face of Sgor Tuath [note the road beyond the loch].  The smaller formation on top (Right of photo) is called "The Knob" for some reason. :rolleyes:

28779967147_6787f3da2f_c.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Siddha.  There will be more to come - I still have to get them out of the camera and uploaded  to the internet.  Found this John Ruskin quote and thought you might like it - have to say that I agree with it:  "Summer is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces up, snow is exhilarating; there is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather."  I tis especially true in places like the far north.

• Like 2

Here's another snifter for you....A triad of hills in Assynt, as seen from the summit of Sgor Tuath:

Right to left 1. Cul Beag; 2. Cul Mor; 3. Suilven.

42974552374_08c6d3584e_h.jpg

• Like 3

A couple more shots from Ben an Eoin and Sgor Tuath:

Sgor Tuath west top from the flank of Ben an Eoin. This was an interestign scramble:

41923961180_9ecb9e3dc0_c.jpg

The only people spotted last Thursday during an 8hr walk. These people were on The Fiddler, a mountain across the glen. Taken witih a telephoto lens:

43684936442_cefb446a31_c.jpg

The Fiddler from Ben an Eoin. Same mountain as previous photo:

41924249740_2cb126daa9_c.jpg

How many of these stones would you need to build Hadrian's drystone wall, I wonder? That's my rucksack and extended walking poles on the side of the stone....

29863831298_cd856f7846_h.jpg

Looking west towards the Outer Hebrides.  You can just make out the islands as a smudge on the horizon:

43684628092_928ec5a391_h.jpg

• Like 4

All great pics Compo. Wish I was able enough to get up those hills. The triad of hills is quite spectacular as are the other pics but this one interests me most. I have seen them all quite often but either from the road or when boat fishing on the Lochs. Suilven is a totally different profile from you view. Loch Lurgainn in the foreground is on my wish list to fish. I have driven along it a few time and it looks very inviting. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Loch Lurgainn in the foreground is on my wish list to fish. 

The loch is quite low at present PP; the bogs that surround it are unusually quite dry.

Did you get any pics of Lochs Urigill, Veyatie and Cam? I would like to see how they look in low water conditions. In early June the levels were reasonable and I took my own boat out on Loch Veyatie. I used Ledmore Estate boats on the other lochs but it is not possible to get those heavy boats over a sand bar leading to Loch Mhadail. As it turned out there was a few inches of water separating the Lochs and we were able to drag my boat through. We were probably the only people to fish that loch from a boat this year. I just love that place. Some of the scenes from a boat are breathtaking. In calm sunny conditions the reflections of Suilven and Canisp on the water are awesome.

We had planned to stop and take a photo of Ben More Assynt from Elphin in which case I could have helped but we had just overtaken a lorry bound for Wick and so would have been stuck behind it for a further 25 miles had we stopped.