From about 1910 to about 1957/58  My Grandad owned a Tripe Shop at No 70 Trent Road until his retirement.  The shop started off as a Purveyor of Tripe but in later years more of a general groceries store, but still selling Tripe, Cow-heels and Pigs trotters.  

After we moved away from Sneinton (used to live at 132 Sneinton Dale until 1952) to Clifton, we used to visit No 70 for our weekly shop.  No shops in Clifton back then. Downside was my parents had to carry the shopping on a bus and back to Clifton.  The only bus stop at that time was what is now Farnboro' Road/Fabis Drive. Or for those that can remember, The Map, Sturgeon Avenue.  Was it a Number 3 bus to Sneinton Dale (?)

What I can remember of Trent Road at the time  on a warm summers day was the lovely smell of  coal tar that was used to seal in the cobbles on the road, and getting a rollicking off me mam for "tar picking". Thats where you sat in the gutter and picked at the tar with your nails and rolled it into balls. It got stuck on your cloths in your hair behind your nails. Great fun but resulted in a slap round the head.

Across the road was Thurgarton Road Post Office, and on the corner the Chemist shop of Claud Manfull. Always fascinated by the coloured flasks of liquid in the window.  Two shops up from the Tripe shop in the direction of the Dale was a Toy shop, spent a lot of time on my visits pressing my snotty nose against the window. never seemed to have the same toys as those in town. Nothing big just small items.   I suppose it was 5 years or so after the war and business wasn't as good.  Across Bleasby Street there was a brick wall and behind the brick wall a dark building which was St Stephens (?)Vicarage,, later became the site of the Jester.

Down the hill from No 70, shop next door was never selling any thing although someone lived there. The Greengrocers on the corner always seemed busy. 

Great view of life when you were a nipper.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

That's a very atmospheric piece, Mr M.   Have you looked at the area recently, either in real life or on Streetview ?  I reckon most of the buildings you've mentioned are still there, although the shops are of a different character.  That area had always intrigued me because there appears to have been some kind of mini-market place in front of your grandad's shop.

This is the Streetview link for anyone who's wondering what it's all about   https://goo.gl/maps/XUB3dEhELox

• Like 1

Thanks cliff ton.........just followed google down Sneinton blvd..........Marsdens sign still there...................

Sorry Mrmeeseeks for straying down the road.......but i'm an ex Marsdens maniac.......worked in that one on the Sneinton blvd and have great memories of the place,, did business after its Marsdens days with the owners in the 80s,,Wilf and Yvonne Harold lovely couple,,then up the side road onto Sneinton Dale and a couple that ran a shop called ''paper boy'' Gary and Sharon what a pair they were........great Sneinton Characters................

• Like 1

Got me waxing now ref' Gary and Sharon,,lost touch when they went to live in Spain,they would be in their 80s now,, Sharon was A ''Tassle dancer'' and often worked topless in Nottingham behind a couple of Bars,,offered the wife a job at £11 per hour back in the 80s wife declined,,i was gutted   lol,,

And Gary was a proper hard nut.........was having coffee with him in his shop one morning,,this huge bloke comes in  ''got any wafers Gary?'' what for? Gary asks,'',got some ice cream but no wafers'' where you buy the ice cream? asks Gary,,         ''Asda'' says bloke.........''F,,, off back to Asda then for your wafers''.........bloke replies showing his huge fist ''one of these days you gonna get this Gary''.............yes ok mate when you decide what day,,make sure you bring plenty of mates,to carry you out''.........never forget Gary and Sharon.............lol

• Upvote 1
On 7/30/2018 at 8:41 PM, Cliff Ton said:

That's a very atmospheric piece, Mr M.   Have you looked at the area recently, either in real life or on Streetview ?  I reckon most of the buildings you've mentioned are still there, although the shops are of a different character.  That area had always intrigued me because there appears to have been some kind of mini-market place in front of your grandad's shop.

This is the Streetview link for anyone who's wondering what it's all about   https://goo.gl/maps/XUB3dEhELox

Haven't been that way for years.  Although mid 90's took a photo of No 70 and it appeared to belong to Ahmed and Co Accountants.  The large space outside of no 70 was where Trent Road intersected with the top of Thurgarton Street as I remember it always was a wide area.  

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

From about 1910 to about 1957/58  My Grandad owned a Tripe Shop at No 70 Trent Road until his retirement.  The shop started off as a Purveyor of Tripe but in later years more of a general groceries store, but still selling Tripe, Cow-heels and Pigs trotters.  

Across the road was Thurgarton Road Post Office, and on the corner the Chemist shop of Claud Manfull. Always fascinated by the coloured flasks of liquid in the window.  Two shops up from the Tripe shop in the direction of the Dale was a Toy shop, spent a lot of time on my visits pressing my snotty nose against the window. never seemed to have the same toys as those in town. Nothing big just small items.   I suppose it was 5 years or so after the war and business wasn't as good.  Across Bleasby Street there was a brick wall and behind the brick wall a dark building which was St Stephens (?)Vicarage,, later became the site of the Jester.

Down the hill from No 70, shop next door was never selling any thing although someone lived there. The Greengrocers on the corner always seemed busy. 

Great view of life when you were a nipper.

I remember it so well,the vicarage was st.philips,used to go scrumping there too,think the tripe shop used to sell pigs trotters too,and the green grocers was grices,and don’t forget the barbers.

Cricket in the entry on Kentwood Rd, three wheel bikes and scooter races down the slope from the Dale to the Blvd. Up the back alley on Jubilee St, over the wall and come out on Bleasby St. No idea why it was quicker to run round the corner... Piggle tar from the cobbles, it's lie that you can eat it! Climb the wall of the garages on Thurgaton St for a drink from the tap... Sob my heart out on the corner of Jubilee St when my little girl friend emigrated to Canada, we promise to meet there again when were 21... she never came.

• Like 1

What you've just said, Brew, has just triggered one of my memories ......not of Sneinton (sorry). When I was 16 I went out with a lad who was 15 for a while.   We broke up and I said he could ring me up when I was 30.  

Guess what.   In 1973,  my Mum told me  that a man had phoned our house in Nottingham  to ask if I still lived there.  (I didn't)   She asked his name and it was him!    I was 30 years old by this time,and Mum told him that I  had been happily married for 7 years and had 3 children.    When  Mum told me, I felt very weird.... nostalgic, sad, happy.... not sure really.   

• Like 3

Margie, I'd find that a bit weird and unsettling that someone could remember to make a phone call like that after 15 years. It's a case of "haven't you got anything better to do?".

Even if I remembered someone telling me something like that, I wouldn't dream of putting it into effect because there's no telling what can of worms might be opened.

• Like 1