• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Palais like Locarno started going early 60s.........i'm 73 now but still get that ''same old Feeling'' (carni) when i think about walking in the places,,Band playing,,lovely lasses dancing round their

Ay up me duck - new guy here. Used to play sax and sing in the Mike Miller Band at Nottingham Palais in the 70s.  Our 2nd band there was Tristram Shandy - it still had the revolving floor in the Bali

Dear All   Just woke up with a brain-wave, so straight to the keyboard!!   During my last visit to my neighbour, I commented on a photograph that I spotted on her dining room wall

Tristram Shandy were named after "The book they could never film"

They had a 'backing singer' who never wore (allegedly) Knickers, the guys gathered round the stage to catch a quick peek when she did her spins as part of her dance routine

They also backed "Chris Ashley" (Mentioned else where) on his micky take of Forest going to their second European cup final "Magic in Madrid"

• 3 years later...

Well I can remember introducing the Mike Miller Band. I was a DJ there in the late 70's. Mick Knight the manager, Edwin Starr was on one night. Great times. What was the other band that alternated with Tristrum Shandy. I remember playing records for only 15 mins whilst the guys changed the kit over. They were brilliant.

I had to think hard to fill the floor without playing records the bands did live, Motown always worked.

I remember running in one night at 7.30(opened at 80) with anew KC and the Sunshine band record only to find the band practising it, they played it and played it very well that night.

Welcome :)

I was there late 60's onwards, and was the one who would always

request Jackie Wilson - Higher and Higher, and Skatallites - Guns of Navarone.

You will remember Tony Rainbow then?

I remember watching the band perform "Dolce Vita" by Ryan Paris

on the same day as I'd recieved a 'D.J.' only, white label copy of it !! (Great tune by the way !!)

Now help me with the name , they started in the early /mid 80's just after "Tristram Shandy" . Two girls one blonde , one brunette . One of the male singers/guitarists just didn't look the part, (Long hair growing off of a balding head, big nose , beer belly etc (Could have been me now as I come to think about it !! ) )

Can't remember Tony Rainbow, I did work there twice as a DJ, when I returned there was only one band. Still can't remember the other band who played along side Tristrum, any help anyone? The other DJ was called Taz

I then went to the Sherwood rooms and DJ'd the Astoria when it opened working for Barry Noble.

Stu the DJ, Stu the manager and Stu the doorman, very confusing!

Hi, I was a DJ there for a few years late 70's, I remember introducing the Mike Miller Band, later they had a cool black singer, he was ace, he did a single, name slips me sorry. Tristrum also played with another house band, anyone remember the name?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There is already quite a bit of info on Tristam Shandy below Kevin who were mainly resident at Nottm Palais, aside from a brief stint in Leicester. However, Andy Kealey who has been mentioned below (who predominantly used a Black, Gibson Les Paul….which he subsequently destroyed on stage in a Dawn Trader gig at Rock City…or similar venue), there was Dave Bowley on lead guitar with his beautiful Gibson 335, Arthur on Bass, who left the band to return back to Kent and be a post man I recall, and Pete on drums who was married to the blonde singer in Red Sun….the Palais ‘big band’.

My uncle (from Birstol) was in the RAF during the war, and posted to Syerston about 1943. On their first trip into Nottingham he and a group of other airmen enquired where the action was. Someone (it might have been a policeman) said the Palais was a good bet - adding "but you'd better take a club with you to beat the girls off!" Anyway, he met my mum's sister, and the rest is history.

:) Pooh Bear, a lovely photograph of your father @ #12. He was a handsome chappie, I expect he had a lot of lady fans out there on the dance floor. And look at those long, tapering fingers - definitely a musicians!

Lovely, tuneful music played by Billy Merrin, skips along happily; don't you just want to dance along ..............

A Cameo within this thread. :)

PS: You come across such kind people on 'Nottstalgia'. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My brother informed me that Mike Miller who led the house band at The Palais in the 70's passed away last week , aged 74 and his funeral was yesterday in Loughborough .

http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/28703052?s_source=clmi_innl