• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Palais like Locarno started going early 60s.........i'm 73 now but still get that ''same old Feeling'' (carni) when i think about walking in the places,,Band playing,,lovely lasses dancing round their

Ay up me duck - new guy here. Used to play sax and sing in the Mike Miller Band at Nottingham Palais in the 70s.  Our 2nd band there was Tristram Shandy - it still had the revolving floor in the Bali

Dear All   Just woke up with a brain-wave, so straight to the keyboard!!   During my last visit to my neighbour, I commented on a photograph that I spotted on her dining room wall

I posted this 5 years ago when I was googling about the Mike Miller band .

"Extracts from this book came up about a West Bridgford lad that was a success in the adult gay film industry in the USA . Real name Glenn Marsh I think .He was a dancer at the Palais and The Muster 

............and there is some other stuff of Nottingham people and places , (if you flick backwards and through the example pages) .

Chapter 2 has the relevant stuff .

WARNING : OTHER PAGES DO CONTAIN CONTENT OF AN ADULT NATURE ! "

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gWv7bOVPh9kC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&ots=1sFYj3P2el&dq=mike+miller,+nottingham+palais&output=html_text

19 hours ago, MansfieldMichael said:

Looks more like Sons & Lovers - that's Steve Greenfield on the far right, Eddie Cook (also played bass with me in Mike Miller Band) on the second left, Spike in the middle and Mick Franks leaning on the car bonnet. No sure who the first left guy is?

The first left guy is Mike Jameson. Sons and Lovers together with other Nottingham Bands are able to be found on the playedinaband.com site.

Regards,

Will2017

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Dear All

Just woke up with a brain-wave, so straight to the keyboard!!

During my last visit to my neighbour, I commented on a photograph that I spotted on her dining room wall of a couple in Ballroom dancing attire. It was a photo of her and her late husband (I think it was taken in the late 50's). We talked about dancing, as I was going out that night to do exactly the same thing, (not ballroom dancing though!!).

In my teenage years I was into Northern Soul, so I mentioned that I used to go to the 'Colmans' on Clumber Street on Sunday evenings, and the Palais on Monday evenings. She told to me that she used to  go ballroom dancing at both Colmans and the Palais. She said "I know something about the Palais that you don't". I said what was that? She said that there used to be a fountain in the middle of the Palais dance floor.

So here's the task.... I am looking for an image of the interior of the Palais with the fountain 'centre stage', so to speak. While were at it, although Colmans was in effect just a large room, there may be photo knocking about of people ballroom dancing in there.

I have found a photo on 'Picture Nottingham' however its got a massive symbol of a camera spoiling the view. Clearly, I have to buy it!! So you keyboard warriors, this your task for today....should you choose to accept it. Da, da , da, da - da, da, da, da.....Mission Impossible by keyboard!! My visitor arrives at 14:30, (with her herbal tea), so that's your time frame.

Finally, when I said I suppose you watch 'Strictly', she said "that's not ballroom dancing, it's commercial rubbish to get TV ratings". She is proper old school!!

Right, going out into the garden to plant a tree....

Regards

Anthony

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My parents were both keen ballroom dancers in the 40s and 50s. They frequented Colman's up until the mid 60s and knew Enid Colman well. They had their wedding reception at the Palais in June 1949 and I've heard them refer to the fountain there. They would be 94 and 93 now, so possibly glided around the dance floors of those establishments along with your neighbour.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have fond memories of the Palais. Met my first serious boyfriend there. Can also remember the announcement “Our friend is back, watch your bags ladies” when the purse pincher was about! 

• Upvote 2

Palais like Locarno started going early 60s.........i'm 73 now but still get that ''same old Feeling'' (carni) when i think about walking in the places,,Band playing,,lovely lasses dancing round their handbags,,(just waiting for me lol) the smell of the girls Perfume,,mingled with my 'Old Spice' then feeling the floor moving when i stepped on it........did'nt need Alcohol,,,even getting turned down for a dance was part of the night,,often scored at last knockings with a Beautiful Wallflower.........the only Dancing i get now is on holiday in Spain with ladies inc.the Wife nearly as old and sometimes older than me,, can't wait to get better and go,,   ''Lock up your Grannies'' :rolleyes:

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Anthony Hood said:

I have found a photo on 'Picture Nottingham' however its got a massive symbol of a camera spoiling the view.

Simply use google images and Palais de Dance Nottingham.... simples

7 minutes ago, MargieH said:

They danced in a different way to the Locarno...  I much preferred the latter

In what way different Margie ?

12 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

In what way different Margie ?

The Palais dancing wasn't as smooth as that at the  Locarno - at the latter I could dance easily with lots of different people, but the odd time I went to the Palais it was a different style - more staccato is the only any I can describe it.    There's a video on here somewhere which shows the style I liked.

Think i know what you mean..........my Dance style was taught to me by a girl at Beeston lads club in 1960...and its still basically the same,,,but i do adjust to please.........lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My parents used to frequent the Palais in the 40's - 50s. I've an idea they met there with dad from Hucknall, mother from Rempstone. I've heard that dad used to black-up and play banjo on stage at some parts of the night. There was a picture of him blacked up and  I remember the banjo and a guitar in the attic space at home. He was (apparently) something of an expert dancer - a talent most certainly NOT passed on to me - and he won several awards.

Anyone remember a black minstrel at the Palais during the period I'm referring to. I think he performed there for longer than they went just dancing there?

• Like 2

Things I remember  "Lacarno"  used to be the "Victoria"  my mum and dad met there, they were married in 1936 so it just goe's to show how old it is.

Tuesday nights in the 60s it cost 1/6 to get in, they called it Teenie night.

"Palais" What did happen to the Glass Dome, that used to be above the door.

"Palais"  Friday night grab a grannie night core !!! you should see all the young boys waiting on the side of the dance floor. (With their tongue's hanging out) now come on its not what you thought.

One more has any body yet mentioned Sherwood Rooms?

• Like 1

Yes the Victoria and the Palais. I am lucky enough to have visited both regularly when the Big Bands were playing. Ted Heath with Marion Williams, Johnny Dankworth with Cleo Lain and for me the best but least known The Basil Kerchin Orchestra. Boy, could he play the drums!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Things I remember  "Lacarno"  used to be the "Victoria"  my mum and dad met there, they were married in 1936 so it just goe's to show how old it is.

We always referred to the Locarno as the Vic

My parents met at the Victoria Ballroom in February 1947. Mum had arranged to meet one of her female friends from the office at the Victoria but she didn't turn up. She met dad that evening instead. The rest is history!

• Like 1

Anthony again

Well I had a brilliant 3-hour conversation with my neighbour, who I can reveal is Violet (she prefers Vi). The first item on our agenda was the messages that I have posted, and the responses that everybody has provided. I read all your responses to her, she had a good laugh and provide more info. I will keep it short but here are her responses.

1. 620 Main Street change to 27 Burton Road.

2. Vi fathers shop was indeed eventually became Rex Robinson's Cycles and Mopeds. Thanks for the photo, it saved time driving down Carlton Hill to have a look.

3. The shop is still derelict. I was wrong... The new Gents barbers is the shop on the extreme left of the photo.

4. The shop to the right of Rex Robinson, was indeed Haslam Butchers. Vi thinks that the shop to the right of Rex was the Liberal Club at one point.

5. Vi lived above the shop until 1930 aged 2 years and moved 'up the hill'. She has lived at the same house now for 88-years!!

6. With reference to the bus photo, Vi has vague memories of the bus driver and the lady on the extreme left standing in front of the bus, but cannot remember their names.

7. Vi lived next Mr & Mrs Tivey (she didn't know their names, only as Mr & Mrs Tivey), and knew there children, Harry and Ida.

8. Vi new Enid Coleman personally.

9. I revealed the fountain photos slowly on my computer screen, and without any prompt from me, Vi excitedly stated "that is Billy Merrin". Vi was a friend of Billy's grand daughter too.

Well, the above is a summary of 90-mins. The next 90-mins was about her family tree, and again Vi's 'little grey cells' went into overdrive.

I feel that we have all contributed to making Vi's Saturday visit one to remember for her. Thanks for all your help.

Finally, if this works, please find attached a photo of a paper carrier bag from 1930 that Vi's Dad, Frederick saved for her (for obvious reasons this is precious to Vi). I felt honoured simply picking it up!!!

Help, I've resized the photo to 65kB but still exceed the forum limit. I'll have to get a crash course via internet to get the photo smaller!!

Regards

Anthony 

• Like 3

Right, I'm getting really cheesed off!! This is what is written on the bag.

F. W. Towle

"ALL FRYING DONE IN PURE LARD"

HIGH CLASS

FISH & CHIP

SUPPER ROOM

620 Main Street, CARLTON

WET FISH FRESH DAILY

Try Our Noted Tripe, Cowheels & Trotters

Something has just dawned on me. Was F. W. Towle in competition with the shop next door ie the butcher. Why is a Fish and Chip Supper Room offering Tripe etc. Umm - presumably buying from next door, and cooking to eat on the premises.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Anthony Hood said:

With reference to the bus photo, Vi has vague memories of the bus driver and the lady on the extreme left standing in front of the bus, but cannot remember their names.

If Vi means the lady on the left with the flowery scarf , that was my great-aunt , Ethel Trueman (nee Hart) . Her husband I think was the gent extreme right in front of the coach called Frank Trueman (though not sure if he was a driver) .

David

I must be 'loosing my marbles', I can't for the life of me find that bus photo again. Where have you hidden it?

Can you reply to this message and include the photo again please, so that I can confirm if we are referring to your great Aunt. I will ask Vi on Monday. 

Here tis ! I see you are finding the vagaries of the site ! To find a previous post I usually try and remember a key word from the thread and use the search box .

Actually the husband of Ethel Trueman (nee Hart) is the gent standing under the wing mirror . I think !  

They both died when I was just a nipper . I only remember them living in Kimberley after they left Carlton .

As previously mentioned Ethel is the one with the flowery scarf and standing next to her in dark hat and coat is Mrs Haslam who lived Park Road , my mums Godmother .

Just spotted the driver far right !

9017666279_78d9072270_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hi David

Just got in from the garden (started at 07:30), boy it's nippy out there this morning. Dug up 3no fruit trees - boy those roots were tough!! Thought I would sign in again before popping down to B&Q. I digress...

The lady that VI vaguely recognised was the lady on the left of the row of four gentlemen (unfortunately not you great Aunt). When I Vi tomorrow I will mention Ethel and Frank Trueman, also Mrs Haslam. We'll see if her 'light bulb lights up above her head!!

Vi couldn't make out if the bus was Trent or Barton - any idea? Where do you think these day-trippers were going, Skeggy maybe!!

If you know of any more names, 'shout out', and I will pass onto Vi.

Incidentally, Vi mentioned that she went to what is now called Porchester Road Junior School on Morley Road. I can't remember what name the school was in her day.  She hasn't mentioned having any photo's, so that might be another avenue to explore for her, ie photos of the school (preferably class photos, and names of children). Vi was born in 1928, so I looking at approx 1935-1940.

Incidentally, I visit the same school every afternoon - school run to pick up my Nephew. I'm just round the corner so handy for my Sister!!

Anthony