JS18468315.jpgHammersmith Palais.......looks like all singles going in different entrance....hoping to score.....

Went in once about 1970.......didnt score...it was some sort of ''Chinese night''......got plenty of ''No Ranks'' pwaps rater'' Bru eyes.........

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Palais like Locarno started going early 60s.........i'm 73 now but still get that ''same old Feeling'' (carni) when i think about walking in the places,,Band playing,,lovely lasses dancing round their

Ay up me duck - new guy here. Used to play sax and sing in the Mike Miller Band at Nottingham Palais in the 70s.  Our 2nd band there was Tristram Shandy - it still had the revolving floor in the Bali

Dear All   Just woke up with a brain-wave, so straight to the keyboard!!   During my last visit to my neighbour, I commented on a photograph that I spotted on her dining room wall

The real palais..not the renamed odean, 

Not sure, I think just to the right of pic', there's a pub, shared a beer with SRV's roadcrew in '85 pre, his gig.

There's a film with a young Petula Clark at this venue, although given a different name, the lovely interior art deco door's and windows are a dead giveaway.

Amazing the crap you 'remember', I recall the upholstery being identical to to that in the Astoria in Nottingham...?? This was 1985..

• Like 1

The Palais top King Edward St while at school I remember bunking of school with 2 friends at lunch time Why !!!! well the Beatles had just appered on the pop screen, and  were doing a gig in our Palais at lunch time. 

Later on In fact quite a few years Friday night at the Palsis was Grab A Granny Night.

• 1 year later...

We were in the Newmarket having a quick one before the Tom Jones concert and across the road they were queuing like mad to get in the Pryzm ([Palais). Told the young barman we were waiting for the queue to go down. He looked bemused and gave a nervous laugh,

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

PALAIS  closed down how sad.......

This has really upset me......not been for about 40 years after getting 'Barred''........did nowt wrong honest.......

So many great memories.......especially of old friends....and the..

Bali Hai

Shoe shine

Bouncing down the famous steps

Smelling of ''Olde' Spice''

Undulating floor

May i have this Dance?......or even ''Dance Duck'' ?

Ay-up Duck   come here often?

Trying to look like 'Billy Fury''.........and failing...lol....

Slim Jim Tie...

Winkle Pickers...

I could go on.......hope the place is not demolished....an important place full of memories for so many Notts folk...........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.......hope the place is not demolished....an important place full of memories for so many Notts folk...........

My parents held their wedding reception there in June 1949, so it has family history connotations for me. Only two people are still with us who attended that wedding. Both were very young babies and neither can remember it!

• Like 1

My mum and dad met at the Palais mum was 28 when she married and my dad was 26. They married in 1935 and in 1995 it as  there Golden Wedding.

I liked the Big Bands sound then along the boy groups, my friend Wendy and myself gave our ourselves permission to have a Friday lunch/afternoon off school, What for? to go to the Palais lunch time Why? well the new boy group had just started up, just a minute maybe some members have heard of them? Their names were George, Paul, John and Ringo, the name of the group was the Beatles. If you went dancing in the week it was around 2/- at weekends the price went up to 2/6  and I 'm sure you boys won't forget Friday night at the Palais  GRAB A GRANNIE. night. I had a friend who worked looking after peoples coats, she had lots of tales to tell you about Friday nights,

• Like 1

So sad, even though I’ve not set foot in the place for more than 50 years it was part of my growing up and holds good memories.  It will be a pity if it’s demolished however it does look very tired and scruffy now.  

• Like 1

That's a cracking link CT., loads of great pictures on there.

With some interesting comments and posts.

RIP many memories 

Nottingham ""PALAIS de DANCE"":No1:

• 1 month later...

How can it ever be 'Pulled down''...........the good old 'Palais' will always live with some of us ''Oldies''..........great memories........Lovely Ladies..magic music....even a bit of '''Rough and Tumble'' (60s style) was worth the admission fee.....:)

• Like 1
On 2/1/2024 at 9:10 PM, benjamin1945 said:

hope the place is not demolished....an important place full of memories for so many Notts folk...........

Sadly, I think it may well be demolished. Never get between a developer and a big bucket full of cash.

The Kinks, Come Dancing, brilliant, how come I have never heard that one before? It must be on a later album as it is not on any earlier LP's I have.

Max Bygraves "Fings Ain't What They Used To Be" comes to mind as well