Freedom of speech

I would love some openly Gay/Lesbians to come on here,who had a good sense of humour and enjoyed debating,,would certainly liven things up a bit,,not looking for argument,,it would be very interesting,,,after all we all believe in free speech,,  ;)

• Like 5
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two good friends in our village who are lesbians - I don't particularly like using that term as they are just nice people who happen to love each other and are fully committed to being a family

'Telling me that i'm not really over you'  lol.   Welcome Loppy, Jill, and Plantfit. We missed you all miducks.

Loppy is still lurking around the dog house.  Not doing much barking these days.  Been spending quite a bit of time barking with various organist's about the relative merits of different capture actio

19 minutes ago, catfan said:

There may be a few already on here Ben !

If there are , probably feel intimidated, or are just quiet people,,the ones i'd like on here would be 'open' and probably a little bit extrovert with some great 'Banter'......i know quite a few that have a brilliant sense of humour,, a few John Inmans or Larry Graysons would be good.....lol

• Like 1

Col I think you are being just a tad disingenuous asking about the PC brigade. There is, as you well know, no such organisation – just as there is there is no shadowy group of people conspiring to control the world that you have alluded to.

We, you and I and everyone else are all paid up members of the PC Brigade. We all self censor our speech. I can speak openly about Asians, Orientals and Caucasions. All perfectly proper words but what would be the reaction if I brought Negroes into the conversation?  It’s a perfectly proper word, it’s name of a race of people from Africa but who would  feel comfortable using it if you were speaking with an African or someone from the Caribbean? I don’t doubt you would dare to use the word but I guarantee that in the back of your mind you will be aware that you are treading on loose ground.

If a PC rule is in the news it does, by default exist. You may reject it, I may reject it, but some clown somewhere will seize  on it and carry it forward.

For example, I mentioned earlier about ‘cultural appropriation’. I had never heard the expression until I saw it in print and immediately thought it a load of rubbish.

Now we see Coldplay, Beyonce, Micelle Williams and Lady Gaga among others severely criticised  for it. What was their crime? Wearing  clothes and having a hair style usually associated with different culture to their own.

Yet not a single voice is raised by the politically correct mafia bout non westerners wearing suits, shirts or  ties.

Whether it’s supported in law is  irrelevant it is shaping  the  mindset of the hard of understanding to the point where it becomes the norm and acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Some of my best friends are gay - well not best friends obviously! :biggrin:

I have two good friends in our village who are lesbians - I don't particularly like using that term as they are just nice people who happen to love each other and are fully committed to being a family.  They have 2 children, one each, but both with the same father (NOT naturally conceived, I might add....). He's a good friend of theirs and happily agreed to give them the opportunity to have children to love.  The father comes to see the children regularly but doesn't live with them.  The family is happy and stable and the children seem well adjusted.   Having two mums doesn't seem to be a problem for them, or other people in the village, as far as I know.   The two mums share the childcare as both of them work - one of them full time.  Our grandchildren know that their friends have 2 mums and it doesn't bother them at all.   

• Like 6

I prefer to use the word Lesbian, that's what they are.

I know 2 lesbians who brought up a son, naturally conceived by one of them. At aged 18 he came out & announced he was a Homosexual & since become transgender.

He knew no different being brought up surrounded by lesbian & homosexual people.

His mother (a lesbian) is quite upset that he can't give her a grandchild.

Tough.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Rog, it's good to see you're posting again.  How is the older gentleman you used to look after?  What are you cooking these days?  Are you still trike--riding?  

• Like 1

Still trike riding Margie,nearly every day and covering a lot of miles,still cooking every day as well, as for the old fella, since his leg has healed and he can get around under his own steam I have not seen or heard from him,he has made no contact with me what so ever,never mind,I did my bit as they say

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Wah hey!! You're back! Looking forward the biking logs and pictures, perhaps I can now start to slim my waistline.

Welcome home!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Still trike riding Margie,nearly every day and covering a lot of miles,still cooking every day as well, as for the old fella, since his leg has healed and he can get around under his own steam I have not seen or heard from him,he has made no contact with me what so ever,never mind,I did my bit as they say

Rog

That's very noble of you, Rog!  But I reckon that's the way... to do good without expecting any reward - or even recognition - for it.  Of course, it's nice when good deeds ARE acknowledged but YOU (and dare I say, God?) know what you did for him and that's  what really matters x

• Like 3

All discrimination, positive or negative is wrong. for instance, there should be no quotas in the workplace to say that there should be so many of a particular, gender, colour, creed, sexuality or disability. Saying that somebody with lesser skills, experience or qualifications shoukd be given a job just ensure quotas are met is WRONG!!!!

• Like 3

Don't think I was being disingenuous about the PC Brigade Brew.  It wasn't me who introduced the term and I'm not the one complaining that the 'Brigade' (Whoever they are...) are 'stifling' free speech. 

I simply asked who this 'brigade' were.  Nobody can tell me. 

You are of course correct when you say that there is no such brigade and I agree that we all to some extent allow our behaviour and utterences to be 'modified' by more enlightened social conventions, but I think there's a qualitative difference between a developing set of social norms, and plain old PC  bullying.  The limits of what is acceptble change over time, with or without 'PC'.  However, as I've pointed out before, some people want an excuse to feel like the victim when they are in reality the aggressor.

Rest of this post not aimed specifically at you Brew... I know you 'get' this stuff.

The polite use of language can usually result in the ability to raise any topic without eliciting undue protest.  E.g.  Boris didn't attract 'flak' for raising the issue of the 'Burka' or whatever it's called, but for making unneccesary disrespectful comments about 'letter boxes' and 'bank robbers'.  As did some here.

It seems to me that the 'PC Brigade' don't have quite such a 'chilling effect' on posters here as they would like to claim.  Some pretty nasty and uncalled for comments here.  I'm often left wondering whether there are any readers, or posters here who are of black or asian origin, or are Gay, Lesbian Transgender or whatever.  I'd be surprised if any who do come across this site hang around for long, even though they may well be born and raised in Nottm and could have generations of Nottm ancestors and a genuine, strong interest in the Nottingham topics.

As to homosexuality.  It exists.  It has always existed and no doubt will continue to do so.  The division between the sexes is not, and never has been a strictly binary one. In other words, it is not the norm to be gay, but it is normal for there to be a percentage of gay people in any population.  Nothing you can do in legislation, social pressure or whatever will change this fact.   We've discussed this before.  In my book being gay is not a perversion. It is simply a point along a continuum of human sexual identity where some people find themselves.  I doubt many of them, having endured the confusion and stresses of puberty which we ALL face.. come flying out of the other side crying "Yippee.. I'm Gay!!".  I'm equally sure that those who are Gay, particularly in societies where being Gay is much more dangerous than it is here, are not  doing it 'for a laugh'.  In other words, people do not choose to be Gay, but those who are, have as much right to sexual fulfilment as the rest of us.

Many people seem to see Gay people as a 'threat', or worse, assume that they are paedophiles, or otherwise intent upon forcing their own sexuality onto others.  Certainly not my experience from the assorted Gay and Lesbian colleagues and acquaintances I've had over the years..  How many of the high profile sexually motivated murders and assaults in recent years were committed by Gays?

• Like 5

I still object to the word "Gay" being used for "Homosexuals",  I wonder if some of our young people studying for example,the first world war imagine that most of the participants of that terrible war were "Homosexuals" because the word "Gay" is used quite a lot in the records of that war,for example " they had such a gay time when on leave" and " They were such gay soldiers as they marched through the town"

I'm not sorry if my comments on this subject offend anyone

Rog

• Like 1

Col ‘defends’ homosexuals as they are born that way. I accept that’s probably true and as long as they do whatever they do behind closed doors I’m fine with that. What about kleptomaniacs? They can’t help what they do either. That’s another aberration from what we consider to be the norm. They get fined or locked up if they’re caught at it though. How long before that’s legalised and we see parades of shoplifters proudly marching through the City with their gaily coloured banners - probably led by the Mayor and the Sheriff. :biggrin:

• Like 2

The term Gay is just the latest one used to describe homosexuals.  There have been many others in the past.   I've actually noticed that the term 'Queer' is making a bit of a comeback among the LGTB community.

So should we strike out all references to The Queen in case that confuses youngsters? 

Or maybe we should get somebody to remove the word queer from all printed sources? 

Maybe we should stop reminiscing so fondly about the Faggots we so enjoyed outside the chippy in Arkwright St?  What will people think?  :Shock:

Fairy stories should definitely be banned.. and of course we really must remember to call Pansies by their proper name 'Viola' in future. 

Language changes ever more quickly as comunication increases in speed and volume.  Good luck with trying to change it. In the space of about ten years the kids went from using 'Bad, to wicked, to sick and no doubt something else now.. all to mean 'good'.

I'm still left wondering though... there's something I think we should be told.. Just who was Offa's Dyke?  :laugh:

• Like 4