Freedom of speech

I noted earlier that I will not argue details in the foregoing stuff.  I'm just too tired, but. I will say this at the risk of being called 'hateful.'  We can argue 'til the cows come home about homosexuality, transgenderism  or anything else that I may consider an aberration.  At the end of the day my opinion does not matter.  A person may consider themselves an atheist.  That is also their right.  

If if there is a God, which I personally believe there is.  We will all answer to Him.  In the meantime everybody can choose to believe what they want.  The occupants of Sodom and Gomorrah had a rude awakening.  I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but the God that the atheist does not believe in may see it a bit differently.  A careful reading of the New Testament shows that Jesus did not waste His time arguing the merits / demerits of any particular lifestyle.  He told them the truth about eternal matters and moved on.  What they did with it was up to them.  His greatest opposition came from the 'religious' crowd.  In His final day He did not tell the inhabitants of Jerusalem they were rotten sinners.  He wept over them.  Maybe a little more grieving and weeping for the state of our respective societies would do us all more good.

• Like 1
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two good friends in our village who are lesbians - I don't particularly like using that term as they are just nice people who happen to love each other and are fully committed to being a family

'Telling me that i'm not really over you'  lol.   Welcome Loppy, Jill, and Plantfit. We missed you all miducks.

Loppy is still lurking around the dog house.  Not doing much barking these days.  Been spending quite a bit of time barking with various organist's about the relative merits of different capture actio

I owned a Viva as well, I also owned an Allegro despite all the bad publicity about them it took my family and trailer many thousands of miles camping with not one bit of bother and it was only the 1100cc one.

If not on cars I will choose shipphams paste as a discussion on Princes may cause upsets.LOL

• Like 2

Took my driving lessons in a 'viva' the dogs in 1964,,in my rough times early 80s had an Allegro,,pile of crap but got me through,, before a having a Capri,,a right Puller;; until it blew up near Gainsborough,,lady of the moment was not impressed,,her loss because i bought a Tryumph Dolomite (wish i could spell it) and never looked back ,red it was,,with a flick for over drive,,..........Shippams Paste were ok at 1/6 but princess were tops at 2 bob,, circa 6

edit for spelling...

• Like 1

Of course you can talk about meat paste, old cars and even dead donkeys if you so wish. The title of this thread is...……………………..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brew me old mate.......you've been on here long enough to know.....we tend to stray    awhite Pal..?..........lol

• Like 3

And long may it remain so Ben, some just take things way too seriously. If we stayed 'on topic' we'd probably run out of things to say by page 2  :Friends:

• Like 3

I nearly gave up reading this topic after the mention of Vivas. They were CRAP ,

• Like 1

As you all know.. I'm not one for having the last word...  ;)

..but my second car was a HB Viva.  Cost me £140 from Ormskirk Auctions.  It was a very educational vehicle.  I learned how to do a full cylinder head job.  How to adjust valve clearances weekly. How to replace a drive shaft joint., wheel cylinders, assorted brake pipes, a water pump, brake pads and a voltage regulator which was rusted in place on the inner wing.  Oh.. I also learned a lot of new swearwords.

Nice gearbox though..

• Like 2

I passed my test in a HA Viva, passed first time after only six lessons. That was of course before I became interested the influences of history, culture, and the societal emergence of institutions that influenced geopolitics.      :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Entirely understandable Brew.  Nobody can be expected to immerse themselves in geopolitical and sociological theories and developments at the same time as learning the Highway Code.

As I recall, I consciously suspended my study of the futile, yet damaging nature of successive Moral Panics as they relate to the Paranoid Style in American Politics  ( Richard Hofstadter 1964) whilst boning up on Braking Distances.

• Like 1

Hardly Accelerates, and Heavy Braking !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rented a Viva in '67 to take a holiday in Scotland.  Engine was missfiring all the time heading North.  Got the plugs replaced in Scotland and deducted the cost from the rental on return.  Nice enough to drive, but I vowed I'd never buy one.  :dry:

5 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

No idea what HA and HB stand for but I passed my driving test in a Viva, 50 years ago, crikey! 

I have no idea either Lizzie, but the HA ones were square and boxy... The HB ones were a bit curvier.  The HC followed and as I recall morphed into the Firenza or somesuch tripe, but I'd lost interest by then and bought a Simca.  More fun.. even more rust..  :)

HC must stand for Hopeless Carburettor then.

I took one off my eldest daughters hands. Very fast, but the massive Stromberg carb was a devil to adjust, therefore a swine to start !

• Like 2

I really don't miss carburettors.

Or Distributors...

You're obviously like me Col. Fuel up when necessary, and that's it !

• Like 1

I guess I've been fortunate with fuel injection.  Never had a problem but I get the failing it could be a so and so to fix if something goes wrong.

Edited to say, I still see a distributor of some kind on my SUV, Col.  I assume it is all run by a computer rather than an old fashioned rotor.

Which ties in rather neatly Col with the earlier discussion. Hofstadter in his discourse  examines how fringe groups can have a disproportionate  influence and how individual behaviour can impact much larger groups. Such things would be difficult to think about objectively whilst trying to remember 'mirror. signal. manoeuvre' or negotiating the intricacies of a two lane roundabout.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just a 'swap out' as I understand it Dave, though when I thought one of four had 'gone' on Mrs Col's car the dealer price was ludicrous.  Fortunately it was something much less costly in the end.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

You're obviously like me Col. Fuel up when necessary, and that's it !

These days definitely.  I'll probably change oil and filter again next year, but that's about the limit.

My Crown Vic is a V8 Col.  It has a separate coil on each plug. Had a misfire problem a couple of years ago.  It was intermittent so a real pig to pin down.  Finally in frustration I replaced all 8.  :).  It fixed the misfire but I still didn't know which one was the culprit.  Probably never will. Lol.

• Like 1