Sign in to follow this  
IAN123.

Backyard Britain.

A Thread For Slum Stories & Photos.birds-eye-view-of-terraced-housing-with-A blue brick yard is what we had..shared by six..save Mr.Mitchell who i found dead on the stairs after running an errand for his Wonderloaf thin sliced.Not all were as clean as ours..but most boasted a mangle and dolly tub, tin bath on a 6" nail and an array of bicycles bits.

Old boys kept birds, collarless shirt, cap and chest high pants held up with belt sporting his regiment badge or adorned with horse brasses.Some grew celery..a small patch of green heads sprouting through the soot .Sounds varied.. but never really changing..a housewife beats a mat on the line..chuffing on a Senior Service in a cloud of dust.

Distant sound of buses and beeps.

Lines blocked your way..flapping nighties and knickers smelling of Sturgeen.Braces hanging down..and hair minus it's Brylcreem..the vested man emptied the piss pot and his tea pot into the same grate.We'd play brush polo with the dog..let him chase a split tennis ball.Picking putty or fiddling with me spud gun- i'd be listening at the line or on a step...but not Tetleys one..he wet it every Sunday and sharpened his carving knife for the sunday roast.

Some would shuffle to the privvy with the paper...and not to read!...Timothy Whites for us...gotta have some comfort.Walls sagged and slates fell..often you'd hear a brick rumbling down the chimney.Old coats draped over a Dawes..prams and pushchairs all around..a youth with a radio or the smell of next doors bacon..you didn't have to go far for a cup of sugar or the loan of a few slices 'til morning.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

31407027.jpgLoughborough Terrace..The Meadows 1974..we were'nt this bad.. we had a bit of glass in.

• Like 1

1969-1971 this area was well dodgy.63226.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgAuburn Terrace, just off Goldsmith St.

A real abode contrast because huge houses neighboured these on Waverley and Chaucer Street.Rough and poor kids who went to my school..lived on Spaghetti Hoops and Big T bread..Val Doonican sweaters that never saw the wash.The Dads wore fell boots.

Dogs on string and Doctor Whites dumped.Funk of frying chops and dog dirt...if me Mam found out i was 'round here...in the tub..."them lot have tidemarks".

• Like 1

57207.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgI wonder if like me any member went back to the house they lived in years before?..I could not believe how small the house was..certainly had to be broadminded..wash and toilet timetable was pretty basic!

We were the last to move out...as we refused Clifton, Aspley and St.Anns. I regret i never lifted our street sign.

When i visit Nottingham now..i nip and have a look, as little bits still exist.

Was it me ?...the politics regarding the privvy..you weren't supposed to chat to next door when 'engaged'.

• Like 3

Wonder if kids today suffer from Property Shame like i did?..cause i -didn't get too introspective then..Fireball XL5 and Typhoon Tracey were all the go .

Used to eat toothpaste..especially the Gibbs one in the round tin..killed bloodsuckers with bricks and listened to couples cursing or canoodlening...no privacy..your life was there hanging on the line for all to see.

Two bikers..the Muress's lived next door and spoilt me rotten...a Groundhog sticker from a garage was a nice addition to your scratched vono headboard.Not many used Dustbin Powder..remember that?

Back to back housing..i never copped on why the housebricks were under one end of the tin bath...do know now..me older Brother was 'sprouting'.a1fa7efaf2bf29a147e4d6a17876c7bf.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pretty much right...character building?..i'm not quite sure.

• Like 3

Brilliant post Ian, some memories came back to me when reading them, I remember the old fire grates in the bedrooms, never got used but always seemed to smell damp and them little "silver fish" running around the downsrairs fire grate,big heavy curtain up against the front door to keep draughts out and the little curtain under the Belfast sink behind which was kept all sorts of cleaning potions

Rog

• Like 3