Hi everyone and anyone,

Ok....so I'm doing my head in trying to find out where Raven Terrace was on Rye Street Basford.

My G/G Granddad died there after a colliery accident in 1885 and was taken to the Rifle Volunteer pub for the inquest. He now lies in Basford cemetery.

I have a couple of old pics of Rye Street and the pub but not of Raven Terrace.

And to add to my woes....Napoleon Square? I would love a pic of this as another ancestor was born there in 1854.

Can some brilliant person help??? Either a link to an old map or something...

Million thanks.!!!

If you are on Facebook, there is a site on there c alled Nottingham Way Back When. There is a photo of Napoleon Square recently posted on there, with lots of memories added by folks who remember it.

Hi katyjay,

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Unfortunately I'm not but I managed to obtain a picture from the website...

It gives me an idea of the dwellings, and i will keep looking and perhaps go to the local library in Nottingham....which is where I live at the moment....

Thanks once again...

Rachael

Napoleon Square was just off the Nuthall Road/Broxtowe Lane Junction at the back of what was the John Barleycorn Public House. It is where Tavern Avenue is now.

The map on this thread:  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/5463-broxtowe-lane-old-railway/?page=2   shows the square (centre map just below the Broxtowe Lane words with a railway line running through the middle of it) without naming it.

5 hours ago, Terry Sadler said:

I believe that Napoleon Square was behind the Colliers Arms pub at Cinderhill. There was an approach to Babbington pit along side of the houses.

mitch1 is correct about the location Terry.

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for the info...got a picture now as well thanks to the links etc..

I think my GG Grandad worked at Babbington so that would make sense, they moved to Clay Cross around 1857/8...

The times I have driven passed that site and never knew...think I'll go again with fresh eyes...x