Sign in to follow this  
IAN123.

Blank Generation!

Certainly to me, the punk movement is an important piece of the musical jigsaw. It was the sound of my time- yes i love jazz and blues and rockabilly and ska etc..At 16 this is where i was at.

• Like 1

Thursday was the day...i'd call into Crofts Newsagent on Radford Road and buy Sounds and NME..pour over every article: The reviews of gigs and bands..singles and albums...PO Box and mail order jeep coats.

First i noticed The Sex Pistols at the 100 Club...and thought wow!

Saw this bloke on a Stiff Tour along with Racheal Sweet and Elvis Costello.

• Like 1

Menace were exciting in every way..and the edgey feel at gigs added to it.

Even though i still loved my Eddie Cochran...i was thumbing to and from Brent Cross regular .Going the The Hope & Anchor or the short lived Roxy..it felt violent really..perhaps i was nervous being in London and mastering the Tube etc.

This song sums up Greater London Council in '77..things ain't changed. They are using taxpayers cash to fund ads on UK Gold telling people to walk to work..stroll on !

Doctor!! He is now..this as a young bloke is how i and other lads i knew felt.

Belfast, Bread Strikes and Bulwell...JCC sums up the Tory trap.

• Like 3

The single ruled supreme in '77 and '78 and we glued in to John Peel most nights. Such was punk in it's infancy back then ..Virgin,downstairs just had a shoebox with a picture collage of Harold Wilson in a flak jacket...you dipped in ..bought pot luck.

This was a total gem by Brighton based pinheads The Dodgems.

Things moved very quickly these times..Independant Labels were abound..Punk grew up fast...and it's big Brother was New Wave which spawned some great music...these i saw in Liverpool..spending a day thumbing there...and sleeping on a floor after the gig. With Merrs Butler still ringing in my ears. Erics was the place then.

Sandpiper in the Lace Market  wasn't bad either

.Grown Up Punk.

• Like 1

I was in my last year at school when this Aussie punk band hit our shores.

To me it wasn't about dayglo hair and pins..infact i wore 60's gear and a Belstaff..though i did spray me Docs Alpine Green.

The Harvest label(EMI) still smarting from The Pistols debacle..were wise enough to sign a few bands. 

The Saints were great at the old : 1.59 singles.

• Like 1

Brian Eno live was a sight to behold..you needed a drink- pre show.

This version is banging...on my night off work..after a club..into Greasy Lils Cafe on Hunto..with the ONE sugar spoon on a chain..3.am fryup..then down to Peggers.This songs tickles my fancy.

• Like 1

A ten pence purchase from Foxs Music Centre..proper post punk!

Keith Allen on bonk.

Radford Red has the 12" mix?

Chats with alan s got me thinking about that time..learning about the endocrine system and v shaped valleys...but going out seeing bands and 'nitrate nights'

the most wonderful Ultravox!...has to be the era with the exclamation mark.

Stevie Shears is on fire.

Warren Cann and Billie Currie ( if you look on YouTube...Billy is moonlighting on "rare" Are Friends Electric video..for Gary Numan.

Saw these ..dripping with sweat..and kept my Belstaff jacket on...Last Years Youth!...sorry that's Menace.

1:45...single.

The Hersham band Sham 69..had a tough enough following..went to see them in Bristol and the boss gave me a one- sided 45..'Songs of the Streets'.

Did anyone else go to The Cross ( uriah Heeps)Keys and witness The Human League blasting 'Being Boiled'..for 50p...and Gang Of Four were the support!

• Like 1

Katies was the Beeston place...The Nips or The Varukas i am sure i saw here.

• Like 2

^

That’s it! I’d got Betty’s or Mrs B’s going round in my head.

Went occasionally, saw the Adverts, Sandpiper was the bigger draw.

• Like 1

Still got me Damned and Advert badge from the 1977 Tour.

Was there a place on Trent Bridge near the Tratt..called Toffs?

• Like 1

After Wire's first album ( pink flag.)they seemed to mature and grow so quickly...Chairs Missing had lots of Brian Eno influences in it..

Less is more on this ' Heartbeat' song..1978 was a blur of kino, Klee and Kraft..all in Forest Town .

• Like 1

I went to see Ultravox! in the smoke in a VW Variant...with the heater stuck on Chernobyl!

Before OMD....these.

• Like 1

Sleafords are the only musicians getting it right today..just capturing what an absolute cesspit Britain is..desperate, sad, dirty, unequal and with no balls.

Best working class anthem in years...

Been my Ringtone for 2 years...

19.2 Tops!

• Like 1

I've done Liverpool, Stoke, Sheffield, Lincoln, Leicester last Tuesday & Derby 9th May to come on this Eaton Alive tour, Sleaford Mods have been the b*llocks, also the first time I gone in early the two support John Paul also from Nottingham (appears on early Sleaford stuff) & the all girl band Liines have been brilliant, expect big things from them?

http://www.weareliines.com/

You can listen to John Paul here my faves Quid In & Glasshouse Street  

https://boomkat.com/products/no-filter-c514de8d-0572-4e4f-9b33-df8b04514402

• Like 1

In '77 this was Decca's hottest signing..think it was the Roxy or the Hope i witnessed the buzzsaw guitar work.

..were'nt the same on Beggars Banquet.