Cruises have never appealed to me before but after watching a tv programme this afternoon its confirmed my choice. It was a documentary investigation into pollution. I didnt sit down deliberately to watch tv but because I felt tired , a rest was a good idea. What caught my attention was a comment that although pollution was high in the centre of Milan the pollution was so many times higher in the middle of the ocean. Impossible I thought, but think about it. A reporter and someone who deals with pollution ( sorry but some english words escape me ) went on this cruise and continually tested the air quality. There were all the usual activities , childrens playground, basket ball, pools, etc you get the idea. The pollution was coming from the funnells puthering out smoke. Many activities were below these funells . They cleaned the walls around various areas and the results were black and smutty.  All in all not an ideal situation for anyone suffering lung problems. The cruise liners called in at a various number of ports and they tested the air around the ports. Same results even the buildings were black. So the bottom line was ok if Your're going for a couple of weeks but the staff on board 9 hrs a day? It was also the type of oil they burned. Apparently the type of oil burned in long haul cruises is lighter than european cruisers .

Catfan I wouldn't dream of trying to convince you to change your mind about going for your wifes birthday. If you hadnt mentioned the fact a few days ago I doubt I'd even watched or listened to the programme. Having told you I don't wish to put you off as I know many people who go on cruises and have a wonderful time, so I hope you do.

• Upvote 1

Commercial boats run on the cheapest dirtiest fuel available and are seriously responsible for air pollution.  Add to that the microclimate of a lot of sweaty people shoved together in a small space - plus God knows what unhygienic activities goes on in the galleys with some of the multi ethnic crew. I do know people who go on cruises but they're the sort you wouldn't want to be stuck with on a boat for a week where you keep bumping into them every time you do a turn round the deck! I would limit my cruising to Highfields boating lake. Less chance of coming home with something nasty! 

• Like 1

Bunker fuel is the generic term given to any fuel poured into a ship’s bunkers to power its engines. Bluewater cargo/cruise ships typically burn the heavy, residual oil left over after gasoline, diesel and other light hydrocarbons are extracted from crude oil during the refining process.

It's quite nasty stuff and hazardous to virtually anything it comes into contact with. Ships are a huge source of air and sea pollution. Having said that any ship billowing smoke from its funnels has a problem. If the engines are running properly there should be almost no smoke.

At least on Highfields if you sink you can walk to shore, it's only about four feet deep.

• Like 2

Having said the above in my cynical way I do recollect an old friend going on a banana boat cruise many years ago. Apparently they just take a handful of passengers; just enough to pay the crew's wages. You fly out to wherever they grow bananas and then board the boat with the green fruits in the hold and relax whilst you're waited on hand and foot. It's not the floating Butlin's of a cruise ship and I imagine the boats are much smaller so you get tossed about a bit more. I don't know if you can still do this - I wouldn't bother myself though.:biggrin:

GRRR now you've gone and dunnit. I've got an ear worm now, Harry Belafonte singing that bloody song!

• Like 2

Our neighbours have a banana tree. It produces a weird looking flower and a small bunch of bananas. Non edible. Strange how it grows, its lovely when its fully grown but as autumn and winter approach it dies down to ground level then in spring all these new shoots grow each one a potentional tree.

Sorry wrong place but just following the flow.

2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Our neighbours have a banana tree. It produces a weird looking flower and a small bunch of bananas. Non edible. Strange how it grows, its lovely when its fully grown but as autumn and winter approach it dies down to ground level then in spring all these new shoots grow each one a potentional tree.

Sorry wrong place but just following the flow.

Is it like this Nonna?  I snapped this last year in my niece’s garden in Costa Rica,

looks like bananas!

72540491-0_B38-4_CCC-84_B7-71212_A3_C4_B

• Like 1
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Ey'up Rog..you're mixing up yer ' Bangles with the Banana's.

Well they both begin with a B

Rog

• Like 1

Been on 2 cruises (1 out of Miami & round Bahamas, & t'other round the Baltic) & it was smokey & smelly when you were downwind of the exhausts. We literally left a smokescreen when we chugged out of Stockholm which was a very clean city till we polluted it. Going on a line dancing cruise next month to France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany from Southampton...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1